Making the creation of atomic_flag optional

Philipp Klaus Krause

Feb 2, 2024, 5:18:42 AMFeb 2
Currently, atomics are an all-or-nothing choice (via __SDTC_NO_ATOMICS__).

I'd like to see a third option: support atomics, except for the creation
of atomic_flag from allocated storage (or raw character arrays). This
would make it feasible to implement atomics for some low-end systems,
that otherwise can't support them efficiently.

Your opinions on the proposal and the proposed wording are welcome:
http://www.colecovision.eu/stuff/proposal-atomic_flag.html

Philipp

David Brown

Feb 3, 2024, 6:09:26 AMFeb 3
I think it is fine to implement parts of the atomics - you just can't
define the __SDTC_NO_ATOMICS__ symbol unless you cover it all.

Philipp Klaus Krause

Feb 8, 2024, 2:44:40 AMFeb 8
Am 03.02.24 um 12:09 schrieb David Brown:

> I think it is fine to implement parts of the atomics - you just can't
> define the __SDTC_NO_ATOMICS__ symbol unless you cover it all.

The problem here is that there are architectures, where atomics could be
implemented except for one small issue - you can't use a char array (or
allocated memory) as an atomic_flag. IMO, it would be good if this
situation could be reflected in the standard.

Philipp