voice recog on office xp

Mike Rayce

Sep 18, 2002, 1:47:25 PM9/18/02

Has anyone used the voice recognition software with office xp? What
are the system requirements to run the software?

TIA,
Mike

Martin Markoe

Sep 18, 2002, 9:19:14 PM9/18/02
Mike,

Has anyone used the voice recognition software with office xp? What
are the system requirements to run the software?

A good attitude and intestinal system are primary requirements to use
Microsoft's speech recognition applet. If you are seriously considering SR,
first read the article referenced below (Key Steps..........) and then
consider Dragon NaturallySpeaking or ViaVoice.

--
Martin Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
The best microphones for Speech Recognition

J. Sinclair

Sep 19, 2002, 1:40:35 PM9/19/02
In article <N_2i9.128$1D...@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, powzoombangNo-
Sp...@yahoo.com says...

I use the voice recognition with xp and it's been working out fine.
Of course, it's not perfect, because none of the systems are, and
it takes a while to train it properly, but all in all, it's working
out fine. I'd recommend it. I found microsoft's site very helpful
in answering most of my questions when I was researching. Here's a
link that will tell you the system requirements:
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/oFirstTimeSpee
ch.aspx

Jenna Sinclair

Brendl

Sep 21, 2002, 7:18:19 PM9/21/02
In article <uoi9eh7...@corp.supernews.com>, mar...@emicrophones.com
says...

> Mike,
>

> Has anyone used the voice recognition software with office xp? What
> are the system requirements to run the software?
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> A good attitude and intestinal system are primary requirements to use
> Microsoft's speech recognition applet. If you are seriously considering SR,
> first read the article referenced below (Key Steps..........) and then
> consider Dragon NaturallySpeaking or ViaVoice.

Hmmm,

A few days ago I tried the Word 2002 speech tool and was shocked:
shocked at how accurate it was! It got acronyms and some last names
right that I never expected. After doing some little training -- a few
of the sessions -- it was phenomenal! I never before had two consecutive
paragraphs with no errors.

I have used the IBM VV of a few years ago, and Dragon NS a year or so
older. I must say the accuracy of the MS Word speech tool is far
superior to these older products.

I used the same microphone. The system is new -- a Dell 4500 2.3 GHz Win
XP system with a Turtle Beach sound card. Maybe that is a slight
difference. The old system was AMD 1.2 GHz, Win 2K. (Some trouble
getting IBM VV to run on Win 2K, I recall.) Plenty of CPU power in
either case.

What I DON'T like about the Word speech system is the correction
interface. I cannot seem to get handy with it: mouse, click, select,
confusion, keyboard, strange replacement appears from nowhere, what
happened, ???. And I don't know if my corrections are used to increase
accuracy, no user feedback.

I also had trouble using the IBM VV correction capability, which was
better than Word's is now. In the other hand, the DD NS of 4-5 years ago
was very handy to use. I liked using it a lot, but the accuracy was not
very good.

I would be overjoyed if DNS was as accurate as Word, but I can only
believe that the user interface must be better. (Is this the "intestinal
system requirement" you refer to?)

Martin, is the new DNS as accurate as the Word 2002 facility? And if so,
I would love to hear what you have to say about the user interface for
making corrections. What I would like is to manually select (with the
mouse) the incorrect word, right-click or Fn key to bring up the dialog,
say a number to select from a list, ... or spell the correction.
Something similar to this. I have technical documents with unique, all-
caps acronyms that I would like the speech engine to learn at first
correction.

BW

pride

Sep 21, 2002, 8:20:38 PM9/21/02
The IBM Viavoice Advanced Edition v10 and L&H Naturally Speaking Pro 6 are
very great for dictation.
Both are the latest version.
By the way, has anyone used the textaloud MP3 with AT&T natural voices
engine?
What is your opinion about that?
I would like to try it. could anyone send me any tts program with AT&T
natural voices engine?
If anyone wants, I can send you IBM Viavoice Advanced Edition v10 or L&H
Naturally Speaking Pro 6.

"Mike Rayce" <powzoomba...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Martin Markoe

Sep 21, 2002, 10:01:45 PM9/21/02
BW,

I would love to hear what you have to say about the user interface for
making corrections. What I would like is to manually select (with the
mouse) the incorrect word, right-click or Fn key to bring up the dialog,
say a number to select from a list, ... or spell the correction.

With Dragon NaturallySpeaking 6.0/6.1 you select words or text by voice. You
can say "Select" to select one or more words or "Correct" plus the word or
words you want and the correction dialog box appears. You can choose from
the list or spell out the word.

For all caps acronyms you can either train them or just say "All Caps On."

Mike

Oct 14, 2002, 7:40:15 AM10/14/02
Over the weekend, I started using the voice recognition software in Office
XP.
I uaws two of the training modules. I have decided to use a high quality
Parrot
headset instead of the Dell microphone. How can I start the voice training
from the
beginning again?

Mike