headsets

hcd

Dec 10, 2002, 12:06:37 AM12/10/02
Hey all as a newbie to voice recognition i'd like some feedback on the
telex brand of headsets as far as quality,longevity and support and
has anyone utilized any of the audio headsets with voice recognition ?
If so how has it worked out with this application? Personally I'm
interested in beyedynamic for decent mic and sound deafening headset.
thanks for all the responses.

claire

Martin Markoe

Dec 10, 2002, 6:15:46 AM12/10/02
Claire,

Hey all as a newbie to voice recognition

Speech Recognition software allows one to dictate words and have the
computer transcribe what the software thinks it heard. The software not only
decodes the phonetic information (the sounds of words) but compares words to
surrounding words to make sure they fit in terms of the context. Think of,
"Two boys went to the doctor because they ate too much food." Properly
designed SR software will distinguish which two/to/too to use from the next
or previous word.

Voice Recognition is generally accepted as the ability to identify an
individual by the unique pattern of their voice. This type of software and
hardware is used for security purposes.

If you would like to quickly learn how to be successful with SR, read the
following short article on my web site. It is titled, "Key Steps to High
Speech Recognition Accuracy" at:
http://www.emicrophones.com/docDetails.asp?DocumentID=38

i'd like some feedback on the
telex brand of headsets as far as quality,longevity and support and
has anyone utilized any of the audio headsets with voice recognition ?

We have tested just about every Telex SR headset over the years. Until
recently, they were definitively less accurate, less noise canceling, and
less comfortable than competive models from Andrea and Shure. Shure has
recently left the SR microphone field but VXI's TalkPro and TalkPro Xpress
have filled that gap nicely. The most recent Telex SR headsets have come
closer to the Andrea ANC and VXI lineups but are still in our opinion (based
on our testing) slightly below in accuracy and noise canceling. If you want
an inexpensive but excellent stereo earphone microphone, look at the Andrea
ANC-650. Read about it at:
http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=053

If so how has it worked out with this application? Personally I'm
interested in beyedynamic for decent mic and sound deafening headset.

Speech Recognition microphones are not easily compared to entertainer/DJ
type microphones. SNR, a common measure of microphone sound quality, is
rarely useful for measuring the accuracy/noise canceling ability, the most
import factors for SR accuracy. The best SR microphones combine pure sound
input with high background noise canceling. Most people do not use these in
an environmentally controlled studio but in workplaces with some background
noise which needs to be blocked or removed so as to not pick up sounds as
words. To see our useful, though not scientific, method go to:
http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/howtest.asp

--
Martin Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
The best microphones for Speech Recognition

Rob Sigl

Dec 20, 2002, 1:31:42 PM12/20/02
I have been using speech recognition software, (and hardware), for about
eight years now. I started with IBM VoiceType dictation for OS/2 and have
used different input cards and microphones throughout the years. After the
disappointment of OS/2 Warp version 4 with its built-in speech recognition
software and lack of Windows support, I went strictly to the Windows
platform, (about this time Windows 95 had been released). I had been using
IBM's ViaVoice since then until ultimately switching to Dragon
NaturallySpeaking about three years ago. I have used quite expensive
microphones of different types from Sennheiser, Shure Brothers, Andrea, and
others, down to really cheap ones.

After saying all that, I have come to the conclusion that even using the
best rated microphone for speech recognition doesn't necessarily mean you
will have the most accurate results using speech recognition software. The
input device the microphone plugs into has a lot to do with it as well,
whether it be a Sound Blaster card, a proprietary speech input card, or a
sound system chipset integrated on your computer motherboard.

I had been using an Andrea digital array desktop microphone for a while,
connected to a Sound Blaster chipset on my motherboard and was fairly
pleased with the results. My voice on playback sounded very clear, but the
background noise cancellation features were not that great. I am
contemplating purchasing a notebook computer after the first of this year so
I decided to check out a USB microphone on my desktop computer first to see
how it performed. Boy am I glad I did! I went to CompUSA's web site and
purchased Plantronics USB microphone headset model number DSP-300. After
shipping and handling it was around $60.

Turned out this microphone is the best solution I have found for accuracy in
speech recognition. With its built-in DSP circuitry, there is no need for a
sound card to be installed in the computer. After minimal training the
accuracy in speech recognition was superb. I was not totally thrilled with
the headset while playing music to test it, however after adjusting the
sample rate and hardware acceleration on playback in control panel, it
sounded great.

If other USB microphones perform as well as this for speech recognition, I
don't think I will go with anything else.

Just something to consider when choosing microphone solutions for speech
recognition. I hope this helps even though it doesn't answer your question
on Telex microphones.

-Rob

"Martin Markoe" <mar...@emicrophones.com> wrote in message

Martin Markoe

Dec 20, 2002, 3:59:41 PM12/20/02
Rob,

You sure do have a great deal of experience in SR. We have slightly more. In
1994 we were trained and certified as part of the first group (a group of 5)
as IBM Personal Dictation System Business Partners. SR has sure come a long
way. Now, we prefer Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 6.1 over ViaVoice. We
don't sell or support SR software anymore, so this is just pure personal
preference. Dragon is more stable (crash free actually), uses less
resources, has "Superior" command and control, and integrates into almost
any standard Windows software package.

If other USB microphones perform as well as this for speech recognition, I
don't think I will go with anything else.

You sure had some good microphones to work with previously. We have been
recommending and using USB sound pods the past 3 years since they offer
consistently high quality sound input from microphones. We tested the
Plantronics USB line this past summer and found that as far as accuracy and
noise canceling, it was a small step behind the Andrea, Shure and VXI
microphones when these were used with an inexpensive Andrea or Buddy USB
sound pod (effectively making them USB microphones, but with the flexibility
to switch and choose). I personally use the very best microphone, a
Sennheiser MD431II with an Andrea USB sound pod. I would guess you would
have been much happier with all these other microphones had you used a USB
sound pod for input.

--
Martin Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
The best microphones for Speech Recognition
See us at: http://www.eMicrophones.com

See, "Key Steps to High Speech Recognition Accuracy" at:
http://www.emicrophones.com/docDetails.asp?DocumentID=38

Rob Sigl

Dec 20, 2002, 6:46:20 PM12/20/02
Martin,

First of all I never implied to sound like a known it all, but if you would
have read my post thoroughly you would have noticed that I too use Dragon
NaturallySpeaking because I will agree with you on all the points you
mentioned also because out of the two packages it is the only one that will
run on the Windows 2000 platform.

Secondly I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but have you ever
heard of IBM's Best Team members? And I too started in 1994.

So what's your point? I was mainly stating how there are other factors that
affect the speech input other than just microphones alone.

-Rob

"Martin Markoe" <mar...@emicrophones.com> wrote in message

Martin Markoe

Dec 20, 2002, 8:19:43 PM12/20/02
Rob,

Secondly I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but have you ever
heard of IBM's Best Team members?

I'm in Northern Westchester County about 40 miles north of New York City. A
good friend of mine was on the marketing team in Somers that was involved in
the development of IPDS (IBM Personal Dictation System). In 1993 he thought
I should get involved as I was installing networks for law firms at the
time. We were in the original group of BESTeam members as well. Question for
you, what is your last name and what was your company? We used to be known
as SCCS or Speech Controlled Computer Systems, Inc. We developed and
installed medical databases. One was for managing Radiology Labs and the
other was a customized surgeon patient database.

So what's your point?

My retort was not meant to be adversarial. I was simply pointing out I not
only have a lot of time experience and test several dozen microphones a
year. A microphone that consistently performs better by 1% is significantly
better in terms of saved correction time. The microphones I mentioned are at
least that much better in my opinion than the Plantronics DSP models I
tested. There is still one Plantronics for sale on our Clearance Specials
page where it says, "Many of these microphones were only used for testing.":
http://www.emicrophones.com/clearance_specials.asp

I was mainly stating how there are other factors that
affect the speech input other than just microphones alone.

Mephistopheles

Dec 21, 2002, 8:03:33 AM12/21/02
"Rob Sigl" <r.s...@verizon.net> wrote in

I would expect a quality sound card, such as a Sound Blaster live or
Audigy, would also be a significant improvement over the integrated
chipset on your motherboard -- such chipsets have a bad reputation. I
think the lesson of your little story (which reads rather like an
advertisement) is simply that many onboard chipsets are not very good --
switching to a USB pod or quality sound card will give you better
results.

> went to CompUSA's web site and purchased Plantronics USB microphone
> headset model number DSP-300. After shipping and handling it was
> around $60.
>
> Turned out this microphone is the best solution I have found for
> accuracy in speech recognition. With its built-in DSP circuitry, there
> is no need for a sound card to be installed in the computer. After
> minimal training the accuracy in speech recognition was superb. I was
> not totally thrilled with the headset while playing music to test it,
> however after adjusting the sample rate and hardware acceleration on
> playback in control panel, it sounded great.
>
> If other USB microphones perform as well as this for speech
> recognition, I don't think I will go with anything else.
>
> Just something to consider when choosing microphone solutions for
> speech recognition. I hope this helps even though it doesn't answer
> your question on Telex microphones.
>
> -Rob

[snip]

hitchhiker

Dec 21, 2002, 8:10:59 PM12/21/02
I have been using Plantronics USB headsets for over a year now.
DSP-500 to be exact. I have tried many in the past, but quite
satisfied with the Plantronics.
The only problem seems to be the USB driver provided by Plantronics.
The driver fails to load from time to time, the problem does not
present that big of a problem when compared to the bug infested DNS
6.1.

Also, as far as eMicrophones is concerned, I will not buy anything
from them ever again. Furthermore, it is extremely difficult for me
to trust their opinions when it comes to equipment.
I have purchased an headset for my mobile phone sometime ago after
reading their review. Also, their web site specification had
indicated that the headset will work with most of mobile phone models.
I have three different types of mobiles. All from different makers.
The headset does not work with any of them.
The only reason that I have not returned the product is because it is
extremely inconvenient.

Mephistopheles

Dec 21, 2002, 10:46:25 PM12/21/02
OW...@yahoo.co.uk (hitchhiker) wrote in

> I have been using Plantronics USB headsets for over a year now.
> DSP-500 to be exact. I have tried many in the past, but quite
> satisfied with the Plantronics.
> The only problem seems to be the USB driver provided by Plantronics.
> The driver fails to load from time to time, the problem does not
> present that big of a problem when compared to the bug infested DNS
> 6.1.
>
> Also, as far as eMicrophones is concerned, I will not buy anything
> from them ever again. Furthermore, it is extremely difficult for me
> to trust their opinions when it comes to equipment.
> I have purchased an headset for my mobile phone sometime ago after
> reading their review. Also, their web site specification had
> indicated that the headset will work with most of mobile phone models.
> I have three different types of mobiles. All from different makers.
> The headset does not work with any of them.
> The only reason that I have not returned the product is because it is
> extremely inconvenient.

[Snip]

Gratuitous slams against vendors, especially from people posting
anonymously through Google.com, are frowned upon by the regular
participants here. Moreover, from what you say, you really have nothing
to complain about. All a vendor can do is offer to give you your money
back after returning the product; if returning it is "inconvenient" that
is your problem -- not theirs.

I am just an ordinary user here; but have had it up to here with
gratuitous vendor-slamming. I have purchased from emicrophones many
times myself; and have been completely satisfied.

Meph

Martin Markoe

Dec 21, 2002, 11:03:42 PM12/21/02
Hitchhiker wrote:

I have purchased an headset for my mobile phone sometime ago after
reading their review.

You must have eMicrophones mixed up with another company. We have only just
started selling mobile phone microphones about 4 weeks ago. This first and
only mobile phone microphone we have ever sold is the excellent Chameleon.
See it at:
http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=2004S

Also, their web site specification hadindicated that the headset will work

with most of mobile phone models.
I have three different types of mobiles. All from different makers. The
headset does not work with any of them.

Interesting and again I have to say you have mixed us up with someone else.
Our description of the Chameleon (recently added and the only mobile headset
we have ever sold) says nothing about will work with most mobile phone
models. What our web page referenced above clearly states is:
"Standard 2.5mm connector fits Cordless Phones and newer Mobile/Cellular
Phones. Some cellular phones require adapter readily available in phone
stores and Radio Shack."

The only reason that I have not returned the product is because it is
extremely inconvenient.

If you purchased from us, we would have gladly taken it back had it not
worked and either issued a refund or found out what the problem you were
having was and corrected it. If anything, eMicrophones is the most
responsive SR microphone supplier you will ever find.

I have to ask you to check your records and if you have made a mistake, an
apology is in order. After checking our database, I could find no Chameleon
Mobile microphones having been sent to the UK. Your anonymous moniker
"hitchhiker" has a UK yahoo address (OW...@yahoo.co.uk) . If in fact you can
verify you purchased anything from eMicrophones, I will bend over backward
to see your problem is rectified.