Speech-to-Text application

Arthur T. Murray

Nov 13, 2002, 12:40:49 PM11/13/02

http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/speech.html gives some resources.

> Really thanks for any help,
>
> Davide

A.T. Murray
--
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/aisource.html is the cluster of Mind
programs described in the AI textbook "AI4U" based on AI Mind-1.1

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Nov 14, 2002, 8:01:39 PM11/14/02
"Arthur T. Murray" wrote:

> A.T. Murray
> --
> http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/aisource.html is the cluster of Mind
> programs described in the AI textbook "AI4U" based on AI Mind-1.1
> by Arthur T. Murray which may be pre-ordered from bookstores with
> hardcover ISBN 0-595-65437-1 and ODP softcover ISBN 0-595-25922-7.

Hi Arthur.

You are aware that iUniverse is a vanity press, and that there is very
little chance of your books actually being published in any significant
numbers. They are happy to pocket your $300, but the marketing is
entirely up to you. The success rate for those who self publish with a
POD (print on demand) publisher such as iUniverse is very low, as I
recall, something on the order of one in a thousand. They didn't tell
you that, when they signed you up, did they?

You might stand some chance of making this happen, if you do something
like getting bookstores, computer clubs, etc. to let you do a lecture.
You will have to put some more of your own money into getting iUniverse
to run a couple of boxes of books for you. There are people who won't
buy at a lecture unless they get a signed copy right then and there. If
you let them get out the door, they lose interest. Get the local paper
to review the lecture. The review will bomb in most of the towns you do
this in, but if you do it in 50 or 100 cities, you will ultimately get a
couple of favorable reviews. You will need to give away lots of review
copies of the book, too. You need copies of these favorable reviews to
get your foot in the door of more bookstores.

And try setting up the lectures at Barnes and Noble shops. I believe
they have a stake in iUniverse. Many of them have an afternoon lecture
series. Although they usually only stock the books that look good on the
"gift" tables. Children's books, art books, etc. Even big chain
bookstores like Borders or B&N will book independent lecturers, the
chains encourage their participation in local activities.

Good luck, you'll need it.

And please, post with more discretion, you're off topic in
microsoft.public.speech_tech.sdk (because you don't use their SDK) and
in comp.ai.neural-nets (because your not using neural nets).

Ciao!

Joe

--
Make flutes, not war!