The perfect microphone for Dragon NS 8.0

14 views
Skip to first unread message

Jeff Schwartz

unread,
Nov 15, 2004, 4:11:17 PM11/15/04
to
I am trying to find the best microphone available for speech
recognition.
I don't mind spending more for better results.
I tried looking into the Sennheiser headset offered by
emicrophones.com but the vendor refuses to tell me the acutal model
number of the product and promises that he makes a couple custom
modifications (which makes me nervous) to make it useable (makes me
scheptical)

I have a USB pod (Andrea), a dual 2.6mhz xeon machine running XP pro
with 1gb ram and ample HDD space.

So far I am considering:

Sennheiser MD431II
Sennheiser ME65/K6 - Am I sacrificing quality to get more distance
from the mike?
One of the Sennheiser headsets

Any recommendations or criticisms would be appreciated.

-Jeff

jeff schwartz

unread,
Nov 15, 2004, 6:46:22 PM11/15/04
to
One other point. The computer I have has a couple fairly loud fans. In
considering a microphone, I want one that can properly discriminate the
voice from the fan.

Also has anyone looked into any means of filtering the audio either via
hardware or software?

-Jeff

"Jeff Schwartz" <jeffs...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:bb2c970c.04111...@posting.google.com...

John F. McGowan, Ph.D.

unread,
Nov 15, 2004, 10:49:41 PM11/15/04
to
Hello,

I have been using and developing software for Dragon NaturallySpeaking
professional version 7.3 for about a year. I just received version 8 and am
still evaluating it. My experiences with version 7.3 and microphones:

I use a Sony ECM-DM5P directional microphone plugged into a Sony WC S.-999
radio transmitter that clips on my shirt. The directional microphone is
pointed up at my mouth. A Sony WC S.-999 radio receiver is plugged into my
laptop. I use an Epson PowerLite S-1 projector to display my computer
screen on the wall of my office. I use a set of powered speakers plugged
into the laptop for sound output. This posting is being dictated with this
configuration.

Benefits of this arrangement:

1. I don't have to wear an uncomfortable headset for long periods of time.
2. I can work sitting or standing or even walking several feet away from my
computer and any fans (I use one fan.).
3. I have freedom of movement while working. I can work standing, walking,
and changing my seating position frequently for greater comfort.
4. I can use my computer system as an inexpensive home theater system and
stereo system.
5. Using the wall as a computer display seems to encourage better posture
when sitting or standing compared to sitting in a chair in front of a
monitor or worse hunching over a laptop.
6. I don't have to worry about getting tangled in the headset cord or
accidentally pulling the computer -- a laptop -- off its stand.

With this microphone and radio transmitter I experience a speech recognition
accuracy of about 95%, meaning 95% of the words are recognized correctly. I
have measured this by dictating a particular passage that I use for accuracy
testing and counting the number of errors. I count misrecognized words,
omitted words, and spurious words inserted by the speech recognition as
errors.

I have tried many microphones with Dragon NaturallySpeaking professional
version 7.3 and I've never achieved a consistent accuracy above 95% with any
microphone, including some very expensive microphones. There appear to be
intrinsic problems with the speech recognition algorithm even with perfect
audio quality. These include an inability to select the correct homonym.
For example, "two" versus "to" versus "too". The algorithm has difficulties
discriminating between short one syllable words such as "fat" and "vat". It
also has problems with suffixes -- plural and singular forms of nouns,
different tenses of verbs. It sometimes grossly misrecognizes longer
phrases, apparently when the speaker is speaking faster than the algorithm
is trained to recognize. Although the speech recognition in Dragon
NaturallySpeaking 7.3 improves with time, these problems persist. Over
time, Dragon NaturallySpeaking 7.3 becomes better at recognizing longer
multisyllable words that are harder to confuse with other words and becomes
less sensitive to background sounds and normal variations in the speaker's
pronunciation -- based on my experiences and experiments.

Two minor weaknesses of my configuration:

1. The Sony WC S.-999 transmitter and receiver uses three 900MHz radio
frequency channels. Occasionally, on trips, I have encountered an hotel
room where there is an unusual amount of noise on one or all of these
channels. In this case, the system cannot be used. I use a Plantronics
headset with a cord in these cases. This problem has so far proven rare. A
more sophisticated, more expensive radio transmitter and receiver such as
those used by professional entertainers/musician/so forth may be able to
avoid these radio noise problems.

2. The Sony directional microphone works fine in a relatively quiet office
or home environment. The directional microphone has adequate background
rejection of fan sounds, refrigerators, street noise, and so forth.
However, it does not have the background noise rejection of a headset. For
example, this configuration probably could not be used during a trade show.

Note that I've been unable to achieve the 95% accuracy with an Omni
directional microphone. For example, the Sony WC S.-999 transmitter and
receiver come equipped with an inexpensive Omni directional microphone. I
never achieved an accuracy above 90% with this microphone which I find
essentially unusable.

This configuration is fun and enjoyable for reading and responding to
electronic mail, browsing the World Wide Web (giant size), watching DVDs,
listening to music CDs, and some other tasks.

Sincerely,

John F. McGowan, Ph.D.
President, Research and Development Division
GFT Group Inc.
E-mail:jmcg...@gftgroup.com
Web Site: www.Petrana.net

"jeff schwartz" <jeffs...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:idbmd.6503$GV4.7...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...

Richard Owlett

unread,
Nov 16, 2004, 12:26:08 AM11/16/04
to
jeff schwartz wrote:
> One other point. The computer I have has a couple fairly loud fans. In
> considering a microphone, I want one that can properly discriminate the
> voice from the fan.
>
> Also has anyone looked into any means of filtering the audio either via
> hardware or software?
>

You may be interested in "Information Week" articles by Fred Langa on
quieting noisy systems.

Google for
quiet cooling "Langa Letter" site:www.informationweek.com

{ quotes significant }

Martin Markoe

unread,
Nov 16, 2004, 8:20:30 AM11/16/04
to
jeffs...@yahoo.com wrote

> I don't mind spending more for better results.
> I tried looking into the Sennheiser headset offered by
> emicrophones.com but the vendor refuses to tell me the acutal model
> number of the product and promises that he makes a couple custom
> modifications (which makes me nervous) to make it useable (makes me
> scheptical)

You should be skeptical. However, I pointed out to you many times that
the Sennheiser Headset that we sell was not designed for speech
recognition. Knowing the model number is irrelevant because without
the proper modifications it will not work well if at all for speech
recognition. Therefore, with the modifications it is irrelevant what
started out as.

I dealt with you in an evasive manner because you raised several red
flags. Among these were:
"P.S. I have purchased a headset from you in the past. I am
completely satisfied with it and would do so again. In that case,
your price was a little higher than elsewhere but I wanted to deal
with someone who knew the product, not just an "order taker"
I responded to you that our prices are the lowest on almost all our
products and that I could not find your name in the database as a
customer. You responded, "My appologies. I just looked up the
invoice. It was microphones.com (hey I at least got part of the name
right).

In addition, your on repeated insistence to tell you the product name
when it was not relevant was as if you were asking me to your work. As
a matter of fact, I told you if you read the web page for the product
they would be clues for how to find the model number. In addition, in
the next to last post, I actually mentioned the model number in
passing. You just glossed over it. You just want easy answers. There
are many people who know what the model number is and there are even
people who know what the modifications are. However, I worked hard to
figure it out and people who press me for the answers raise those red
flags. As a matter of fact when you accused me of being evasive, I
politely pointed you to another dealer who sells this microphone. You
glossed over that as well.

Yes, you were refused. Perhaps you need to look at yourself for the
reason why.


> I have a USB pod (Andrea), a dual 2.6mhz xeon machine running XP pro
> with 1gb ram and ample HDD space.

A USB sound pod is a good audio input device for many microphones.
However, certain microphones benefit from other USB pod's as the gain
of the microphone matches the gain of the USB pod. Again, a case of
testing and research to provide the best solutions for speech
recognition.

It is well known that dual processor computers very often run poorer
than single processor units unless the computer software is designed
for dual processors. Speech recognition software available today is
designed for single processor computers.

--
Martin Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
The best microphones for Speech Recognition
See us at: http://www.eMicrophones.com/index.asp
Read, "Key Steps to High Speech Recognition Accuracy" at:
http://www.emicrophones.com/docDetails.asp?DocumentID=38

jeff schwartz

unread,
Nov 16, 2004, 11:40:56 AM11/16/04
to
Man you really are full of yourself! Just leave me alone. I asked you a
question. Silly me, I wanted to know what I was buying before I bought it.
How absurd! I then get email after email after email from you telling me
that you won't answer my question and trying to justify it.
Lets cut the crap. You won't answer my question. I won't buy from you. So
now go away and let me get USEFUL information from someone who will be
honest with me instead of evasive, devisive and insulting!
-Jeff
p.s. Mr Markoe DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS. I WILL NOT REPLY AGAIN!!!
"Martin Markoe" <mar...@emicrophones.com> wrote in message
news:cf6942bc.04111...@posting.google.com...

Martin Markoe

unread,
Nov 16, 2004, 8:22:36 PM11/16/04
to
"jeff schwartz" wrote:

> p.s. Mr Markoe DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS. I WILL NOT REPLY AGAIN!!!

As my niece used to say, "You are not the boss of me." The sequence of
events is interesting. First you try to misrepresent yourself as a
customer who just wants to learn the product designation of an item.
Then, in E-mail after E-mail you try to coax me to reveal information
I was not interested in sharing with you. Next you tell me you have
years of audio experience. Hmm, if the roles were reversed, what would
you think? Then you post on a public newsgroup asking for information
about a product, but reference it to my company and say you are
"scheptical" (sic). Finally you try to intimidate me to not respond to
you.

You say, "Man you really are full of yourself! Just leave me alone."
Well, I have been rather polite and factual throughout all this.
However, you need to look within yourself.

Martin Markoe

jeff schwartz

unread,
Nov 16, 2004, 10:09:52 PM11/16/04
to
Okay a couple points since you are too simple-minded to understand the
English language.

1. I did not intentionally misrepresent anything. I thought I delt with
emicrophones.com. I was wrong it was microphone.com. An honest mistake.
2. Is it your policy to provide abuse to all prospective customers once
they decide not to do business with you? If so, maybe you should state that
policy on your website. It would save other people much valuble time!
3. I asked you for the model number of a product I intended to buy. That
is not an unreasonable request. You refused. I indicated that in that case
I couldn't do business with you. YOU were the one that responded. OVER and
OVER again.
4. You act like you think that I am misrepresenting myself somehow. Do you
think that I am going to run out, buy a whole bunch of headsets and undercut
your price? Are you THAT paranoid. Then again, if your product is so much
better you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
5. In response to, "...next you tell me you have years of audio experience.
Hmm, if the roles were reversed, what would you think?" What would I think?
I think that after you basically said that I woudn't understand a technical
point, I explained to you that I have quite a bit of technical experience.
You thought you could bullshit me by basically saying that it was
complicated and I wouldn't understand. Well guess what? I do understand.
I've been working with electronics since I was five years old.
6. I did not reference your company in my posting. I did reference the
"Sennheiser headset" which is in NO way your name to use. If you insist it
is, I'll gladly forward your views to their corporate lawyers. They would
find that amusing at best, fraudulent at worst.
7. I NEVER tried to intimidate you. I simply said that I wouldn't respond
to your bantering again. I gave in and here I am once again wasting my
breath explaining myself to you.
8. I didn't try to coax you into revealing information you refused. You
just avoided answering the question. I did not coax. I asked outright.
Silly me. I wanted to know what I was buying.
All I want is to find the right product for me. I want a microphone that
works well for me, sold by a vendor that stands behind his/her product and
doesn't belittle, insult, or harass his customers. I also want an honest
vendor. This whole mess is the result of your trying to keep the fact that
your "Sennheiser Microphone" is available from other sources. Well hell, I
figured that out days ago. Ask yourself this; Would you buy a car from me
if I told you it was great and made by Ford? Certainly you would want to
know which Ford it was. That was all I wanted. YOU are the one who made a
big case over this.
9. You say I tried to, "misrepresent yourself as a customer who just wants
to learn the product designation of an item." Please tell me how that is a
misrepresentation? Who do you think I am? Do you think I am a compeditor
posing as a prospective customer? Perhaps I'm with the CIA and have been
spying on you for months? No, wait, I know, I'm really someone who will buy
a microphone from you because you say I should without being told something
as silly as the MODEL NUMBER!"
10. If the roles were reversed, I would NEVER talk to a prospective
customer the way you have to me. If you don't want my business you simply
say so. You on the other hand have been adversarial from the beginning.

The net result of all this is that I will eventually buy a microphone.
It will come from ANYONE OTHER THAN emicrophones.com or Martin Markoe.
I will be sure to tell everyone who asks me my opinion about Dragon or SR,
that they should avoid you at all costs.
When I find a good microphone, you can be sure I'll post the info here so
people can buy it (from whatever vendor they choose based on price, service,
etc.)
Perhaps you need to take your medication now. You obviously have been
forgetting it lately!
I will not bother responding to any further crap from you. I don't really
care what you think. My only reason for writting this it to ensure that
others don't make the same mistake I did (in asking you about a microphone)!

Oh yea and while we are at it, you sell the ME65/K6 for 549.99 (and
advertize that as a special price, down from 599). I was able to find the
same unit, brand new, from a vendor I have used many times, for 396.00 Its
one thing to charge a little more for service, but thats almost 40% more.
I'd pay a resonable amount for service and support but all you seem to
provide is abuse.
-Jeff

TO OTHERS WHO MAY BE READING THIS: What is this guys problem? Is he for
real? I half expect someone to tell me I'm on candid camera at any moment.
I've gotten more abuse / rhetoric from this guy in one day than I've gotten
in the past two years!


"Martin Markoe" <mar...@emicrophones.com> wrote in message
news:cf6942bc.04111...@posting.google.com...

Richard Owlett

unread,
Nov 16, 2004, 11:47:21 PM11/16/04
to
jeff schwartz wrote:

> >
> TO OTHERS WHO MAY BE READING THIS: What is this guys problem? Is he for
> real? I half expect someone to tell me I'm on candid camera at any moment.
> I've gotten more abuse / rhetoric from this guy in one day than I've gotten
> in the past two years!
>

Sorry to tell you this.
But you, Mr. Schartz, are the one looking like a jerk.

jeff schwartz

unread,
Nov 16, 2004, 11:56:04 PM11/16/04
to
If you had to listen to this guys bullshit you would be pissed off too.
What point that I listed to you disagree with?
This guy has gone out of his way to be evasive and belittleing. All I
wanted to do was buy a microphone.

I did a search. Apparently I am not the only one who has had problems with
this jackass. Of course there is the other matter. I have no idea who you
are or what your connection to him is. So from that perspective, please
understand that I really don't care what you think of me or how I look.

I came here looking for information, not abuse and rhetoric.
-Jeff

p.s. At least have the courtesy of spelling my name correctly before you
insult me.

"Richard Owlett" <row...@atlascomm.net> wrote in message
news:10plm0l...@corp.supernews.com...

jeff schwartz

unread,
Nov 17, 2004, 12:10:17 AM11/17/04
to
My appologies for the preceding dialog. Some people are just not happy
unless they are causing trouble.

Once again, I am trying to gather opinions on microphones to use with Dragon
Naturally Speaking. I simply want to collect user feedback (both good and
bad) so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks to those who have already given constructive feedback.

The things I am most interested in are:

1. Experience with specific microphones.
2. Vendor recomendations.
3 Tips / techniques that you have found improve recognition
4 Additional products tried, such as preamps, filters, compressors, etc
(and did it help or hurt accuracy)

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff


Martin Markoe

unread,
Nov 17, 2004, 6:50:28 AM11/17/04
to
"jeff schwartz" wrote in previous message:

"p.s. Mr Markoe DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS. I WILL NOT REPLY AGAIN!!!"

You are free to call me names. However, what do you call someone who
does not keep their word? You have proven all points.

Martin Markoe, Simple man, not simple minded.

Martin Markoe

unread,
Nov 17, 2004, 10:52:07 AM11/17/04
to
jeffs...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am trying to find the best microphone available for speech recognition.

Getting back to the basic premise of your question, not including the
insinuation that I am an ogre because I would not share proprietary
information, I offer the following.

There are many good microphones, but there is no one microphone that
is going to be perfect for everyone. The microphones I consider the
very best, the Sennheiser MD431II and the Sennheiser Headset, will
work well for most people. However, the Sennheiser MD431II for
example, has a low gain. Approximately 1% of the people who use this
microphone, add a preamplifier to boost the signal to line level
input. Several people who have booming voices, like a radio disc
jockey, do not find the Sennheiser Headset to work so well.

When a person contacts me for advice on a microphone, I try to find
one that will work well for them. Several questions will be asked. The
answers to these questions are more important than the model number of
a certain microphone which may or may not be well-suited to a person.
This is because users of speech recognition software work in
completely different environments and have completely different
voices.

One person may have a soft voice and another person a booming voice.
One may be a bass, one may be an alto. People can work in quiet
environments or very noisy environments like an open cubicle office or
the floor of the Stock exchange. One person may be working in a quiet
environment but have nearby walls or large expanses of glass. This
would cause reflections of their voice and would require a microphone
that minimizes the echo effects. Some users like to wear a headset
microphone in order to assure themselves the microphone element stays
in a consistent position. Do they want one earphone in order to be
able to hear colleagues or telephones? Do they want two earphones in
order to isolate themselves from their surroundings and concentrate on
dictation? Does the person want a wireless microphone in order to be
untethered completely? Does the person want a desktop microphone so
they can be untethered yet not have to worry about charging batteries
as you would with a wireless?

As you can see, there is a certain complexity that is easily glossed
over unless a dialogue is possible.

Martin Markoe

unread,
Nov 17, 2004, 11:58:48 AM11/17/04
to
I will ignore your insults and unfounded psychological dribble. It is
obvious from your diatribe in this thread and your repeated e-mail
requests for the "secret" model # where the problem arises.

"jeff schwartz" wrote:
> This whole mess is the result of your trying to keep the fact that
> your "Sennheiser Microphone" is available from other sources. Well hell, I
> figured that out days ago. Ask yourself this; Would you buy a car from me
> if I told you it was great and made by Ford? Certainly you would want to
> know which Ford it was. That was all I wanted. YOU are the one who made a
> big case over this.

In reference to the above, think of the Shelby Ford. Anyone who looks
at one knows which model Ford it is. You have mentioned your vast
experience since you were five years old with electronics. As you kept
pressing for the model, I suggested if you look on my web site you
will find it (hint: wireless). It might take a small effort but you
would have been able to track down the model number. In addition I did
mention the model number but in your unfounded belief that I was being
evasive you overlooked it. Just as Shelby would not have out right
told you what components were used in his car, you would have found
out by buying one and reverse engineering.

Martin Markoe

unread,
Nov 17, 2004, 1:54:34 PM11/17/04
to
"jeff schwartz" <jeffs...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My appologies for the preceding dialog. Some people are just not happy
> unless they are causing trouble.

Your apology is accepted. Oh, forgot, I am I too "simple minded" to
see that the apology has the "some people exclusion." Hint: This will
end on my part when you proffer an apology where it is deserved.


> Once again, I am trying to gather opinions on microphones to use with Dragon
> Naturally Speaking. I simply want to collect user feedback (both good and
> bad) so I can make an informed decision.

Imagine what the last two days would have been like had you phrased
your original posting in this manner without referencing someone or
their company as making you nervous and skeptical. You could have just
left the reference out, as above, and let the chips fall where they
may. Instead you chose to rant and attack with accusations such as
"paranoid," "listen to this guys bullshit," "simple minded," etc. Kind
of makes you wonder.

Martin

PS. Your name makes you sound like a landsman, but your attitude is
quite the opposite.

Jeff Schwartz

unread,
Nov 20, 2004, 11:58:36 AM11/20/04
to
In the interest of putting this issue to rest:

I am not a compeditor trying to steal your proprietary design.

I am not a consumer who information for free so I could run to the
lowest price bidder.

I am, as I have stated, been looking for a microphone. I was
intrigued by your headset. The ONLY reason I wanted the model
information was so I could do MY OWN research. I believe you. I
understand what you have done to improve on the product. What you
keep overlooking is that NO MATTER WHAT YOU or any other vendor says,
I want to see what USERS say. No offense, but I like to make
decisions based on what people who don't have an interest in my
decision. You, do have an interest since you sell the microphone in
question. That is not to say you are dishonest or disreputable. It
just means that I like to see independent and unbiased information
before I buy something. As I have told you, I have the technical
skills to understand such things.

My posting here was inteded for users to share opinions. Its not that
I don't value yours. The fact is that I want to see what EVERYONE is
doing, not just you or your customers. You told me your opinions.
That doesn't mean that others don't have valid opinions. For what its
worth, when I do decide on a microphone, I'll share that info with you
as well as the group.

I did not intend to 'pressure' you into revealing any proprietary
information. You evaded the question several times. I was not sure
if you were doing it on purpose or if it was an oversite. You have no
idea how many times I have emailed a vendor with a question, only to
have them respond with an answer that didn't even address the
question. Quite often they are so busy that they read the first line
of the question and assume they know what I'm asking. For that reason
I asked again. If you simply told me that you did not want to share
that information, I would have accepted that and not mentioned it
again. I will say that I would not have purchased the product without
that information.

So lets call and end to the verbal jousting. Its just wasting my time
and yours (not to mention that it is getting tedious).

-Jeff
mar...@emicrophones.com (Martin Markoe) wrote in message news:<cf6942bc.04111...@posting.google.com>...

Michael Prager

unread,
Nov 17, 2004, 10:35:34 AM11/17/04
to
"jeff schwartz" <jeffs...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Once again, I am trying to gather opinions on microphones to use with Dragon
>Naturally Speaking. I simply want to collect user feedback (both good and
>bad) so I can make an informed decision.
>

>1. Experience with specific microphones.
>2. Vendor recomendations.
>3 Tips / techniques that you have found improve recognition
>4 Additional products tried, such as preamps, filters, compressors, etc
>(and did it help or hurt accuracy)
>

I have had the most success with a Shure wireless headset mic
that I bought from Mr Markoe about 5 or 6 years ago. I don't
know if it's still made.

As I am writing from work, I can't make a vendor recommendation,
but I can say that my transaction with Mr Markoe was trouble
free and that the mic has been trouble free.

I previously used some mics by Andrea and Knowles. The Knowles
model worked better for me than the Andrea. I prefer the Shure
as it is nicer not to be tied to the desk by a cord.

The main technique that helps me is to make sure the microphone
is positioned the same whenever I am using it. It is also
helpful to speak clearly!

I have never tried any of that add-on stuff, and I doubt it
would help. The microphones themselves vary enormously in
frequency response, so I don't see that adding a sound
processing could work uniformly.

MHP


--
Mike Prager, NOAA, Beaufort, NC
Address spam-trapped; remove color to reply.
* Opinions expressed are personal and not represented otherwise.
* Any use of tradenames does not constitute a NOAA endorsement.

Mark A Mandel

unread,
Nov 20, 2004, 10:34:36 PM11/20/04
to
jeff schwartz <jeffs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
: My appologies for the preceding dialog. Some people are just not happy

You ask about "The perfect microphone for Dragon NS 8.0". That is like
asking for "The perfect food for breakfast" or "the perfect car for
upstate New York". There are still too many variables left unspecified.

I am currently using Andrea ANC-650 at home with an IBM thinkbad t30 and
at work with a dell desktop, in both cases with a battery booster pod. I
bought them on Martin's recommendation, which he provided after asking me
for details of my working environment and computers and the ways I
intended to use NatSpeak. He provided this information to me with no
strings attached; I checked around the web for prices and found no one
beating his price and only one matching it. I used all of these facts to
support my request to my employer to purchase the mikes from him, and they
did.

From 1990 to 2001 I was the chief linguist for Dragon Systems, so I know
more than a little about speech recognition. I now use NatSpeak because i
have to, instead of just because I like to (and because "eating our own
cooking" was good policy).

I have known Martin for many years through this newsgroup and its
predecessor, comp.speech. In my experience he has always been
knowledgeable, helpful, and generous with his knowledge. (Please don't
think I mean "he always recommended Dragon", because he didn't; when
someone's intended use of speech recognition was weighted toward
functionality that Martin believed another product performed better, he
would recommend that product and explain why.) He has always behaved as a
gentleman, except for a very few occasions when he has been seriously and
continually provoked by someone else's bad behavior toward him.

IMHO the best thing you could do would be to take Martin's advice and to
answer his questions straightforwardly. They are directed at your best
interests, assuming that your intentions are as you describe.

You can also ask in other places, such as Voice...@yahoogroups.com. And,
as in most situations, be polite; don't assume the worst; cut people some
slack; and be slow to take offense and quick to forgive, or people may
take you as one of those people who "are just not happy unless they are
causing trouble."

-- Mark A. Mandel
Chief Linguist, Dragon Systems, Inc., 1990-2001

--
To reply by email, remove the obvious spam-blocker from my edress.

Deborah

unread,
Nov 21, 2004, 7:51:14 PM11/21/04
to
As for my favorite mic with Dragon I'd the Plantronics DSP (Digital
signal processing). this microphone was designed for both gamers and
people doing things such as with dictation. noise cancellation
properties are rather impressive as as its abilities to play media
files. as a user of Dragon four over ten years I've come across quite
a number of microphones. To be honest none have provided with with
such performance. Its a usb mic, with stereo ear pieces. The the
acoustic rating with his microphone is significantly higher than with
all others. is also rather convenient that phone is collapsible, it
folds in half and the microphone moves parellel to the folded portion.
Noise cancellation ability is superb.

In fact, much to my amaze, I've discovered that I can listen to music
on my computer while using the microphone is the same time without
sacrificing any recognition capabilities or speed. With all previous
microphones any use of music files while attempting to dictate for
unsuccessful as the music interfered with the recognition of the
dictation. I can actually listen to R&B, hip hop or classical with
absolutely no interference.

I am just shy of giving the microphone a perfect rating since the
slightly big for my head. However, I can't deduct much for this seeing
as I have a rather small head. I even have to use childrens goggles
for skiing and scuba diving. :-) So its not really the fault of
Plantronics. Plantronics has a rather interesting software for
configuring the play back of the music. Its quite nice. I also have
an mute button for the mic and volume control for playback on the
cord. Behind the buttons is a clip to attach to my shirt. The mute
button is convenient as it allows me to quickly control the mic,
especially when someone just begins talking to me and I'm not near the
keyboard to iniate the sleep mode.

Also, with all other microphones I continuously had to open Windows
microphone since by default it would mute itself. This has never
happened after installing the plantronics software.

Now if Dragon worked with Firefox and allowed all users, not just the
professional version, the ability to write full macros and smart
commands, I'd be a very, very, very happy customer.

Although this minute fact may be silly to others, I'm rather happy the
microphone covering does not come off in my bag. My microphone travels
quite some distance between home, school, internships and work. Other
coverings keep coming off. This one remains in place.


Take care,

Deborah
(A dragon user for 10+ years.... I owe almost 3 higher education
degrees to dragon.)

BTW, I'm running Dragon preferred 7.3 (I can't afford the upgrade) and
on a windows xp platform.

jeff schwartz

unread,
Nov 21, 2004, 8:18:08 PM11/21/04
to
I am surprised that you can listen to muic with it. That is quite
unexpected.
Thanks for the info.
-Jeff

"Deborah" <dsy...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:241ff834.04112...@posting.google.com...

Jill

unread,
Dec 13, 2004, 2:30:45 PM12/13/04
to
Hello,

I'm wondering if you've formed an opinion about Dragon version 8. I am
still using version 6, tried version 7 and was not happy with it, so
went back to version 6. I just received a mail offer for version 8 for
$99, good to the end of the year, and wonder if it is worth trading up.
I don't know what my accuracy rate is with version 6, but I get a lot
of work done, and kind of subscribe to the concept of, if it ain't
broke, don't fix it. Any suggestions?

Aloha,
Jill Engledow

mar...@emicrophones.com

unread,
Dec 13, 2004, 3:38:44 PM12/13/04
to
Jill wrote:

Hello there in beautiful Hawaii. Our take on each version of the
software we have seen over the last 11 years is that each new version
is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. I too, got very good
accuracy and was happy with version 6 although many people were not. I
found version 7 to be a little bit better in that I could dictate
slightly faster than in version 6. Version 8 has seemed to fix some of
the formatting issue problems from previous versions. The professional
version also has a lot of added features that you may not be interested
in like sharing the profile over the network and different kinds of
macro creation processes. I would say it is worth getting upgrade if
you have a very fast machine with lots of RAM. Also, if you do not get
the upgrade this time the next time you will have to purchase a full
version.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages