1st review of DNS 6 is out, though sparse

14 views
Skip to first unread message

thingy

unread,
Dec 6, 2001, 12:40:25 PM12/6/01
to

Speaktoyourpc.com

unread,
Dec 6, 2001, 9:02:28 PM12/6/01
to
With so many variables in operating systems, equipment, other
installed programs, methods of installation, etc. everyone will
certainly have different results.

We beta tested v6, and many of our users found nothing different
at all while others couldn't wait to upgrade -(interesting note:
people who wanted to upgrade were previous 3.5 users while the
ones who did not notice a difference where the 5.0 users)

Here's and in-depth view of the new features in 6.0 and what you
can expect before deciding to upgrade:
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/news/dns6.htm


--
Suo Mynona
Speaktoyourpc.com
1-888-412-7605
___________________________________

thingy

unread,
Dec 6, 2001, 11:23:46 PM12/6/01
to
With all due respect to Suo Mynona i did not see any first hand
information on the referenced web site.

- A

LVASoftnet

unread,
Dec 7, 2001, 9:04:05 AM12/7/01
to
I'll add
http://www.pcspeak.com/r6release.htm
as another review for your enjoyment.

Larry Allen
www.pcspeak.com

Jeffrey Cote

unread,
Dec 7, 2001, 8:56:52 AM12/7/01
to

>With all due respect to Suo Mynona i did not see any first hand
>information on the referenced web site.
>
>- A
>

Well, it's not a review...They didn't say it was a review, but a preview. Be
patient for the first-hand information. Don't jump on the first review you see,
wait for the knee-jerkers to filter out and then read a fresh crop of reviews.

REMEMBER:
There are lies
There are DAMN lies
And there are statistics

Be wary of the word "Objective" - Seek out varied opinions on the matter. On
the one hand you'll get speech rec pros that can't say enough good things about
it, but on the other hand the more mainstream software pros will say "Ah, it's
OK, but still not ready for prime-time". It's all about where you're coming
from. Just last week I heard a nationally syndicated talk show host, a computer
show, basically dismantle speech rec and call it a waste of time for most
people.

Go figure...

Jeff Cote
Call Center Products - http://www.headset.com
If you live in the United States: 603.964-1451 x280
Canadian customers dial 416-631-6700
jac @ headset . com <---- All US inquires to this email address

Jeffrey Cote

unread,
Dec 7, 2001, 12:11:34 PM12/7/01
to

>On 7 Dec 2001 05:56:52 -0800, Jeffrey Cote <j...@NO-SPAMheadset.com>
>said:

>
>>Well, it's not a review...They didn't say it was a review, but a preview.
>
>Actually, I think it went from a "nice resource" in the first posting
>to "and in-depth view of the new features in 6.0 and what you
>can expect" in the second. The first posting seems accurate. To me at
>least, the second description suggests a bit more than turning the
>manufacturer's PR into a web page.


Your personal problems with Speaktoyourpc.com should be handled as such,
personally and privately. Anyone breathing a normal balance of Oxygen and
Hydrogen and Carbon Dioxide could care less about your hatred for this company.

I wish more people would come out of the woodwork and denounce the ongoing
personal war against SpeaktoyourPC.com - It's getting to the point of flagrant
envy and SpeaktoyourPC.com is as of late taking the high road and ignoring this
crap.

Good for them...

The Speech Taliban rolls on...Well, it's time for some daisy cutter carpet
bombing...

Mark A. Mandel

unread,
Dec 7, 2001, 1:16:39 PM12/7/01
to
Jeffrey Cote <j...@no-spamheadset.com> wrote:

:>Actually, I think it went from a "nice resource" in the first posting


:>to "and in-depth view of the new features in 6.0 and what you
:>can expect" in the second. The first posting seems accurate. To me at
:>least, the second description suggests a bit more than turning the
:>manufacturer's PR into a web page.

: Your personal problems with Speaktoyourpc.com should be handled as such,
: personally and privately. Anyone breathing a normal balance of Oxygen
: and Hydrogen and Carbon Dioxide could care less about your hatred for
: this company.

On seeing this thread, I decided that early reviews of DNS 6.0 were worth
posting inside L&H. I am currently assembling a summary for the company's
internal bulletin boards.

My summary includes parts of this thread, credited and sourced, and
excerpts from the 1stVoice review webpage. I visited the speaktoyourpc.com
web page and decided to quote "Suo Mynona"'s post in full, but nothing
from the page, for the reason (pasted here from my in-house summary) that
"Their page lists the features, but to a quick glance it seems to be
directly lifted (or maybe edited) from our own literature." As such, it
offers no new insight or independent view to us who built the product and
are eager to hear the reactions of the users and the other professionals
in the field. As I said, that was only a quick glance. If I am wrong about
the origins of that page and it actually reflects an effort to use and
evaluate Dragon NaturallySpeaking v6.0, I stand ready to be corrected and
to revise my summary accordingly... on evidence.

Your comments were not addressed to me, but since I have just made a
comment that could be construed as averse to speaktoyourpc.com, I will
issue a preemptive disclaimer. I do not hate speaktoyourpc.com or their
personnel. When they or anyone else post useful material I appreciate it.
When they or anyone else post useless material I try to ignore it. When
they or anyone else uses this forum or any other for personal attacks and
temper tantrums, I try to tune them out by hitting Next as soon as I find
one of their posts to be excessive. If I find that someone is repeatedly
too loud and obnoxious to be worth the aggravation of reading even that
far, I killfile them. I rarely use the killfile.

Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company : speech recognition
320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
(speaking only for myself)

--
To reply by email, remove the obvious spam-blocker from my edress.

JI Logan

unread,
Dec 7, 2001, 3:20:29 PM12/7/01
to
"Jeffrey Cote" <j...@NO-SPAMheadset.com> wrote in message
news:9uqt8...@drn.newsguy.com...

| . . . .


| Your personal problems with Speaktoyourpc.com should be handled as
such,
| personally and privately. Anyone breathing a normal balance of
Oxygen and
| Hydrogen and Carbon Dioxide could care less about your hatred for
this company.
|
| I wish more people would come out of the woodwork and denounce the
ongoing
| personal war against SpeaktoyourPC.com - It's getting to the point
of flagrant
| envy and SpeaktoyourPC.com is as of late taking the high road and
ignoring this
| crap.

| . . . .

Many of us do not have the _knowledge_ to support one side or the
other. My perception, however, is that both sides (and that includes
supporters) sometimes say things that perhaps should not be said.

--
JI Logan

Speaktoyourpc.com

unread,
Dec 7, 2001, 4:34:28 PM12/7/01
to
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.pcspeak.com/r6release.htm as another review for your
enjoyment.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Excellent review.......confirms that every user has a different
experience.


Suo Mynona
speaktoyourpc.com
1-888-412-7605
___________________________________

News, reviews, tips and tricks...get the latest
updates and product information in the world
of voice recognition! Subscribe here:
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/newsletter.shtml

FREE headset to first 200 new subscribers!


Speaktoyourpc.com

unread,
Dec 7, 2001, 4:55:19 PM12/7/01
to
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

"Their page lists the features, but to a quick glance it seems
to be directly lifted (or maybe edited) from our own
literature." As such, it offers no new insight or independent
view to us who built the product and are eager to hear the
reactions of the users and the other professionals in the field.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Correct.

The heading is very bold: "An in depth look at DNS 6.0" No
reflection of a user review anywhere.....just a simple statement
of 6.0's new features.

From our standpoint, any review of a product by a person who
sells that product is not a good idea. These "reviews" are
usually biased, not taken seriously and in some cases, written
only to motivate sales. This is why we have an entire website
devoted to user and third party reviews:
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/reviews these are complete and
unedited.

Hats off to 1stvoice for putting their neck out and being
open ----I'm sure they're getting many sales or at least alot of
calls with all the publicity that page is generating across
various newsgroups.

This webpage http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/news/dns6.htm is an in
depth view.....not a user review.
Nowhere on speaktoyourpc.com do you find a review of any product
written by us.

---

Martin Markoe

unread,
Dec 7, 2001, 7:36:30 PM12/7/01
to
Suo Mynona (backwards for Anonym ous),

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In previous post you said:
"From our standpoint, any review of a product by a person who
sells that product is not a good idea. These "reviews" are
usually biased, not taken seriously and in some cases, written
only to motivate sales."

In the above post you said:
" http://www.pcspeak.com/r6release.htm as another review for your
enjoyment.
Excellent review.......confirms that every user has a different
experience."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is this a contradictory statement? Correct me if I'm wrong as the author is
not only a user but a Dragon Reseller.

A reading of dealer postings on the Dragon Forum clearly reveals possible
bugs and major changes in the way V6.0 works. My view is that honest dealers
are an excellent source of unbiased reviews. They are the one's who have to
support the product and the last thing they want to do is eat their words
and returned products.

--
Martin Markoe, eMicrophohes, Inc.
The best microphones for Speech Recognition
See us at: http://www.speechcontrol.com
Click below for "Selecting a Headset Microphone for Personal Use"
http://www.speechtek.com/st.mag/jan01/sound.shtml
Click below for "Key Steps to High Speech Recognition Accuracy"
http://www.speechcontrol.com/articles/Keys%20to%20dictation.htm


Enrique Padilla

unread,
Dec 9, 2001, 1:05:10 AM12/9/01
to
> I wish more people would come out of the woodwork and denounce the ongoing
> personal war against SpeaktoyourPC.com - It's getting to the point of flagrant
> envy and SpeaktoyourPC.com is as of late taking the high road and ignoring this
> crap.

I certainly agree with you Jeff.

SpeaktoyourPC.com has sold to, I am sure, several hundred or several
thousand customers. Yet, I don't see many people complaining except for
1 customer. Therefore, SpeaktoyourPC.com has a great track record.
Surely, no company can make 100% of the customers happy all the time no
matter how hard you try, especially when dealing in the thousands of
units. One or two mentions of customer dissatisfaction is acceptable,
but certainly, not something to be dragged on.

I don't know if this will make the situation any better, but there is
always a constant battle on all the newsgroups by a certain
individual/company whenever one posts about microphones which is exactly
what started this whole flaming war.

That's why I don't post much to these newsgroups because when I do, I can
bet on an argument, or a one-uping war.

I would hope that all the individuals involved, KILL the
SpeaktoyourPC.com flames already and let's get some dignity back into
this group.

Enrique Padilla
http://www.microphones.com
"The Microphone Specialists"

Martin Markoe

unread,
Dec 9, 2001, 9:06:00 AM12/9/01
to
Dearest Enrique,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>One or two mentions of customer dissatisfaction is acceptable,
> but certainly, not something to be dragged on.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The problem is a lot deeper than customer dissatisfaction. It goes to the
core of honesty. There is a history and web of lies, misinformation and
outright venomous language and threats. They started with misrepresentations
of my testing methods. Then speaktoyourpc got banned from User Groups for
Spamming and direct selling. Next they said they were dealers for the
unreleased Acoustic Magic Voice Tracker microphone. Robert Feingold,
president of Acoustic Magic, publicly said he'd never heard of
speaktoyourpc.com or anyone associated with them. Then speaktoyourpc.com
blatantly claims to have thousands of sales a week. A quick accounting of
this claim showed it to be absurd considering the market share of SR. Even
you Enrique, post your real name and a business address. Speaktoyourpc.com
not only has no posted address, but posts anonymously or with fictitious
names. When they are publicly chastised for abuses, they threaten legal
action. Guess what, the person who said they were a lawyer for
speaktoyourpc.com and used le...@speaktoyourpc.com manages or works in a
restaurant in Maine and is apparently practicing law without a license. Even
though I'm leaving out many points (let me know if you want me to forward
everything in my file) I will say in finality, for this message, that when
speaktoyourpc.com is caught in flagrant abuses, they (Charles Stringham)
resort to calling people vile names associated with the human waste system.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> That's why I don't post much to these newsgroups because when I do, I can
> bet on an argument, or a one-uping war.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Or could it be that you occasionally pop in, blatantly advertise your wares
without offering help or advice on a continuing basis. That is why you are
moderated on every public speech recognition User Group.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> I would hope that all the individuals involved, KILL the
> SpeaktoyourPC.com flames already and let's get some dignity back into
> this group.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How about adding truth and justice and honor to make the dignity verifiable.

Enrique Padilla

unread,
Dec 9, 2001, 2:43:40 PM12/9/01
to
Oh. I see Marty Markoe. So now it's my turn. I made no mention of you,
your company and here you are coming at me flaming my company on the
public forums. I should know by now that I should expect nothing less
from you.

As far as your problems with SpeaktoyourPC, give it a break already. You
don't like them, sue them. Otherwise, your posts flaming the company is
not doing anybody any good here. You are just helping run the group to
below ground zero levels.

> They started with misrepresentations
> of my testing methods.

THAT IS THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR SELLING MICROPHONES AND ALSO WRITING PUBLIC
REVIEWS ABOUT THEM AND THEN TRYING TO BE AGGRESSIVE IN ANY NEWSGROUP
RELATED TO SPEECH RECOGNITION. Just because you write a magazine article,
this does not make you the alah of microphones and give you the stamp of
approval invulnerable to readers' comments and it's obvious you have a
problem with it.

On this and other newsgroups, there have always been discussions about
reviews posted on the internet. People discuss the articles, and they
also voice out their opinions on the reviewers' testing methods or
motives as you have done when the NCT Noisebuster was introduced.
However, you don't see the authors in all the newsgroups in a constant
battle. Only in microphones and only with you Marty. You don't see speech
recognition dealers doing this do you?

I personally also have my own problems with your testing methods and your
published reviews. You are too vague in your results, you don't include
other excellent microphones in your reviews (unless you sell them for the
most part), and you don't even give accuracy rates to give a good
depiction on the true differences of said microphones. So, in my opinion,
your reviews are extremely biased based on the products you sell and
don't give any real information except as a promotion for your own
products. WANT TO MAKE ME A BELIEVER?? Write some in-depth reviews about
many microphones such as
http://www.macworld.com/2001/05/09/reviews/usbmics.html

Furthermore, as a so called "expert" in this field, you should be able to
give an even better and more in-depth review.

You have left such a bad taste in my mouth about your constant bickering
at other microphone vendors whilst at the same time promoting your Speech
Technology Magazine article as a stamp of approval for your actions, that
I will no longer advertise in that magazine while you are still a
contributing author.

> Then speaktoyourpc got banned from User Groups for
> Spamming and direct selling.

I don't know about the spamming and direct selling, but obviously action
was taken. However, I can't believe you are talking about spamming. I
have seen posts from you that link to as many as 8 direct links to your
website (all in one post) and your signatures fall within 5 or 10 lines
long. In my book, that's called SPAMMING. Everyone uses these newsgroups
for a little promotion and that is acceptable. Consumers benefit from it.
However, in your mind, you are the only one that should be allowed to do
it right? Just because you live on the newsgroups and answer almost every
post in any newsgroup? That doesn't give you super powers.

> Next they said they were dealers for the
> unreleased Acoustic Magic Voice Tracker microphone. Robert Feingold,
> president of Acoustic Magic, publicly said he'd never heard of
> speaktoyourpc.com or anyone associated with them.

But why are we tainting the promotion of a new upcoming revolutionary
product with your (gotchas). I am personally happy SpeaktoyourPC.com is
getting the word out there and starting the promotion of the upcoming
Voice Tracker. I don't know what prompted the above mentioned
conversation, but I don't think Acoustic Magic will appreciate being
dragged into these flaming threads just as you have done with one of your
customers which didn't appreciate it either.

> Then speaktoyourpc.com
> blatantly claims to have thousands of sales a week. A quick accounting of
> this claim showed it to be absurd considering the market share of SR.

If I recall, about 2 weeks ago, you claimed to have sold thousands of GN
MPA Satellites. I know for a fact that is not true. Is this an instance
where the pot is calling the kettle black? I could have challenged that
but I don't have the time to waste. Only you do.

> Even
> you Enrique, post your real name and a business address. Speaktoyourpc.com
> not only has no posted address, but posts anonymously or with fictitious
> names.

Exactly my point. This has become a game and if the flaming stops,
perhaps we can get this group active again.

> When they are publicly chastised for abuses, they threaten legal
> action.

I won't get into what's right and wrong legally. However, it should be
kept OFF LIST for the long term!

> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > That's why I don't post much to these newsgroups because when I do, I can
> > bet on an argument, or a one-uping war.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Or could it be that you occasionally pop in, blatantly advertise your wares
> without offering help or advice on a continuing basis. That is why you are
> moderated on every public speech recognition User Group.

You see. Now why was that necessary? Here you are flaming another
company again. Guess what Marty.... I have a life. I don't have time to
live on the newsgroups as you do. I post when I can have a moment to join
a conversation. Sometimes, you reply to every post on every newsgroup
pertaining to speech recognition software in a given time period. You
must sit in front of your computer for hours every day just answering
newsgroup mail. With you selling so many thousands of Satellites and
Andrea product and claiming to test every microphone you sell, you must
be some type of Superman.

I certainly offer advice and help on a continuing basis but I don't do it
on the public forums. This is the 2nd time you have mentioned me being
moderated on user groups. Last time, you apologized about confusing me
with someone else. YOU ARE OUT OF CONTROL MARTY MARKOE of
SpeechControl.com. Chill Out!!!! Go on vacation or do something else to
balance your energy. I am not moderated on any newsgroup I am aware of.
My absence in the newsgroups is voluntary.

> How about adding truth and justice and honor to make the dignity verifiable.

"You want the truth.... you can't handle the truth". I think a dvd rental
of "A few good men" is recommended as a cure for this.

Marty, your constant abuse on these newsgroups against other microphone
vendors must come to an end. I will not post again regarding this
subject as it has already wasted too much of my time.

--

Enrique Padilla
http://www.Microphones.com
"The Microphone Specialists"

Martin Markoe

unread,
Dec 9, 2001, 4:04:32 PM12/9/01
to
Enrique,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Oh. I see Marty Markoe. So now it's my turn. I made no mention of you,
> your company and here you are coming at me flaming my company on the
> public forums. I should know by now that I should expect nothing less
> from you.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You blatantly said "Therefore, SpeaktoyourPC.com has a great track record."
Well I answered your incorrect statement that it was not just a matter of
one dissatisfied customer but an ongoing series of lies, threats, etc.

Flaming your company. Nothing of the sort. I said, "Or could it be that you


occasionally pop in, blatantly advertise your wares without offering help or
advice on a continuing basis. That is why you are moderated on every public

speech recognition User Group." This is a direct reference to your character
as it stands up for the character of speaktoyourpc.com. I didn't notice you
try to refute the fact that you are moderated as you cannot be trusted to
post on your own.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> As far as your problems with SpeaktoyourPC, give it a break already. You
> don't like them, sue them. Otherwise, your posts flaming the company is
> not doing anybody any good here. You are just helping run the group to
> below ground zero levels.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Using your metaphor for terrorism, lets look at the facts. I live in the
open not anonymously (see suo mynona postings). Terrorists hide in caves.
As a matter of fact, you seem to pop out about 3 or 4 times a year and try
to disrupt every SR Newsgroup and User Group.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> motives as you have done when the NCT Noisebuster was introduced.
> However, you don't see the authors in all the newsgroups in a constant
> battle. Only in microphones and only with you Marty. You don't see speech
> recognition dealers doing this
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Noisebuster was not compared to other good microphones. Subsequent
testing and reports by many people besides me has shown it to be exactly
what I said. The author admitted limited experience with SR yet raved about
it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> I personally also have my own problems with your testing methods and your
> published reviews. You are too vague in your results, you don't include
> other excellent microphones in your reviews
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I visit Palm Beach several times a year. I will be happy to have you meet me
for a microphone shoot. We will take any of the microphones I rated highly
and one you say I've put down. We dictate a passage we pick at random from
the daily newspaper on our own trained speech models. We make one set of
corrections and we read again, count the errors and see which microphones do
better. Hope you pick a Plantronics, Labtec, VXI or Noisebuster.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Furthermore, as a so called "expert" in this field, you should be able to
> give an even better and more in-depth review.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Like other dealers like Parmod, Larry Allen and myself our evaluations are
respected because we stand behind what we say as well as what we sell.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> You have left such a bad taste in my mouth about your constant bickering
> at other microphone vendors whilst at the same time promoting your Speech
> Technology Magazine article as a stamp of approval for your actions, that
> I will no longer advertise in that magazine while you are still a
> contributing author.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh that reminds me. Someone called SpeechTechnology Magazine and said I was
disparaging the disabled. Interesting considering the free time and products
I donate and was able to backup.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> But why are we tainting the promotion of a new upcoming revolutionary
> product with your (gotchas).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have you tested it? Can you say it is revolutionary? I just took a couple
of digital pictures of the one sitting in front of me. I'm sending them to
you via E-mail for your confirmation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> If I recall, about 2 weeks ago, you claimed to have sold thousands of GN
> MPA Satellites. I know for a fact that is not true. Is this an instance
> where the pot is calling the kettle black? I could have challenged that
> but I don't have the time to waste. Only you do.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Like I said in a previous post, I have a file to back up what I say. Please
find where I said "thousands."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> I won't get into what's right and wrong legally. However, it should be
> kept OFF LIST for the long term!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've been trying to ignore this idiocy. Your flagrant backing them without
mentioning the reasons is what raised my ire today.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Marty, your constant abuse on these newsgroups against other microphone
> vendors must come to an end. I will not post again regarding this
> subject as it has already wasted too much of my time.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When the going gets tough you get out.

Bye bye.

Marty


Jeffrey Cote

unread,
Dec 10, 2001, 11:26:49 AM12/10/01
to

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>Or could it be that you occasionally pop in, blatantly advertise your wares
>without offering help or advice on a continuing basis. That is why you are
>moderated on every public speech recognition User Group.
>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>> I would hope that all the individuals involved, KILL the
>> SpeaktoyourPC.com flames already and let's get some dignity back into
>> this group.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>How about adding truth and justice and honor to make the dignity verifiable.
>
>--
>Martin Markoe

Martin,

You know, I can be fair and I can be somewhat judicious in the way I hand out
opinions. I try very hard to be somewhat in the middle on these things and I've
given you a chance to do the same.

Your line about Enrique peddling his wares is the biggest piece of crap I have
seen you say to this date.

Enrique has integrity coming out of his eye sockets. The guy IS the computer
microphone specialist I trust and respect above ALL.

HOW is his post peddling wares? You my friend are WAY off base on this one.
It's laughable.

The last person to need ANY customers from this group is Enrique. That is a
JOKE.

If you wanna call me a big Microphones.com butt kisser, GO AHEAD. They have
earned the respect of countless suppliers, manufacturers and customers.

PS - I do NOT need a phone call.

I'll peddle his wares for him - If ANYONE IS BREATHING - buy all your
microphones (YES, they carry products other than Andrea!) from Microphones.com -
You will NOT regret doing business with him.

Oh yah, one more thing - putting "e" in front of ANY website or company name is
SO 1998. Bah!

Jeffrey Cote

unread,
Dec 10, 2001, 11:31:23 AM12/10/01
to

>
>Oh. I see Marty Markoe. So now it's my turn. I made no mention of you,
>your company and here you are coming at me flaming my company on the
>public forums. I should know by now that I should expect nothing less
>from you.
>
>

PRAISE for Enrique!

Excellent summary.

The speech technology remarks are right on. That does not give you credibility.
Anyone can get published - especially if all the magazine is paying is $100 -
which is the going rate for segment articles.

Jeffrey Cote

unread,
Dec 10, 2001, 11:38:16 AM12/10/01
to
>Flaming your company. Nothing of the sort. I said, "Or could it be that you
>occasionally pop in, blatantly advertise your wares without offering help or
>advice on a continuing basis. That is why you are moderated on every public
>speech recognition User Group." This is a direct reference to your character
>as it stands up for the character of speaktoyourpc.com. I didn't notice you
>try to refute the fact that you are moderated as you cannot be trusted to
>post on your own.


Marty - that's BS. Marty, you have such a checkered reputation, it's not even
FUNNY. You should be ashamed of your reputation.

It's SAD that you put SO much stock in "moderated public forums". Seems to me,
you LIVE AND DIE by the things putting WAYYYYY to much stock in them.

Admit it, you're small potatoes and NEED these groups MUCH more than ANYONE has
EVER needed them.

You think they're so important, ALL YOU DO IS SPAM TOO!

You're an angry, small man Marty. A bitter, reclusive and dime store salesman
grappling on to hopes of grandeur. You'll never make it my friend. You buried
yourself LONG ago with the vitriol you spew out on a daily basis here. People
like you remain in the shadows of everyone else for eternity.

Oh yes, I'm lowering myself to your level, because sometimes you need to fight
guerilla warfare with geurilla tactics.

Martin Markoe

unread,
Dec 10, 2001, 3:37:12 PM12/10/01
to
Jeff,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Oh yah, one more thing - putting "e" in front of ANY website or company name
is
SO 1998. Bah!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

See subject.

Guess I'm just Mr. Old Fashioned because:
1. I'm behind the times
2. I'm small potatoes
3. I offer quality and service instead of a Superstore

Man, why do you guys waste your breath with a guy who is all the above?

Marty Markoe


Enrique Padilla

unread,
Dec 11, 2001, 3:57:46 AM12/11/01
to
So now, let's put together a little summary of what we have learned here
with the constant, never ending battles with Martin Markoe of
SpeechControl (or e-microphone.inc or whatever the name will be). Then,
in an effort to add some useful information for the poor users that must
endure these messages, I will put together a very nice summary of the so
called "best microphones for speech recognition".

These are not flames, simply the facts!

1. Martin Markoe will challenge any vendor on any newsgroup that
attempts to say anything about microphones. This should be obvious to
everyone. This usually turns into a flaming battle on the newsgroups and
I am not the only one that has experienced this. Just to mention a few,
would be flames I have seen to Speaktoyourpc.com, Microphones.com, and
yes, there were never ending battles with Parmod aka dragonsys.ca
(although you don't see them anymore because now Marty sells these mics).
I even recall a post from communitech.com where they were new to a group,
made an honest post giving advice to someone and they were eaten alive by
Marty's immediate bashing. I am sure there are others but unfortunately
I don't live on the groups to keep that much track of what battles are
going on. Unfortunately, it looks like Jeff may now also endure a long
life of flames thanks to Martin (remember, I told you first). This has
got to stop!

2. To the many customers who like Marty. It's OK to like him. He does
give support on the forums for the microphones he sells. The problem is
the constant bashing of other vendors on newsgroups, especially if there
is a mention of a microphone he doesn't carry. I remember a post made in
the speaktowrite newsgroup which a user stated they should look at
www.microphones.com for a good selection of products. Marty came right
behind them saying something to the tone of "they don't support what they
sell, we do as you can see through the many newsgroups we post through"
and then says, "look at our articles in SpeechTechnology magazine" using
it as a stamp of approval for his bashing comments. I didn't even
respond as it would have caused yet another heated battle in another
newsgroup. This is only one example of bashing and there have been many
more.

3. Martin Markoe is usually the only one in these heated battles. There
are many speech recognition vendors on all the lists and you don't see
this behavior.

4. Martin's claims of others not supporting their users on a constant
basis is pure nonsense. I am sure that all the vendors in these groups
try their very best to make their customers as happy as possible. The
difference is that other vendors don't live on the newsgroups.

5. Then, there is the matter of stealing website graphics which is why I
now have most of our images tagged with our name on it but we won't get
into those specifics.

6. Marty. I'm not looking to hurt you or your company or your articles.
However, I ask that you please stop bashing other companies. Vendors can
live in harmony and there is plenty of business in the public for
everyone. You don't have to be at war with everyone, just learn to SHARE
THE SPACE.

I am sure I can think of a few more, but now I want to go into my special
called the "so called Best microphones for speech recognition").

--

So, let's start with Andrea. Andrea products are known to have some of
the best microphones for speech recognition. I know this and most other
vendors know this and that is why most people sell them. It's not
always the right solution for all users for reasons beyond speech
recognition performance but it is a high performance headset. Of course,
now that Marty is out of stock until next year, the new champion is
Shure. (Oh, and just for the record, we have over a hundred Andrea
ANC700s IN STOCK so you don't have to revert to Shure if you want an
Andrea.) Did you know that the Shure microphones are not always good
candidates for USB connectivity because of too much gain? Of course, no
mention of that.

Next on the list of the so called Best microphones for speech
recognition, would be the Andrea NC7100 USB. This microphone gives about
the same performance as what you would get with the VXI Aruba microphone.
Of course, no mention of that either.

So next in the wired microphone section ...... Uh oh, I have run out of
the so called Best wired microphones for speech recognition already
(according to some). However, other superb candidates include Emkay and
Plantronics headsets.

Handheld. The candidates? Shure VR116L, Philips SpeechMike, Buddy Handy
USB and Sennheiser mics.

Shure VR116L, Buddy Handy, great performers, no problems there. How
about those Sennheisers which cost more than 5x the price of the Shure
and Buddy handy for perhaps a 1% gain in accuracy (if that). They are
pretty good too. How about the Philips SpeechMike. Is it possible that
only the SpeechMike Pro USB deserves to be mentioned as a best and leave
out the Philips SpeechMike Pro Serial? No my friends, not at all. In
fact, the Philips SpeechMike Pro Serial is actually the product of choice
for many hundreds of speech recognition VARs. Why, because the USB
version does not have a gain adjuster which is key, especially in noisy
or moderately noisy environments and on some machines, the USB
performance for the control buttons are slower than for the serial
version. There goes another nicely omitted fact on the best mics for
speech recognition.

I'll end this peice off with the best RF wireless microphones for speech
recognition. In the mix, GN MPA Satellite, Shure wireless and Emkay

A few years ago, I embarked on a venture with a rep from another
distributor for the GN Netcom MPA Satellite. That rep decided to take MY
INNOVATION and rename the product and sell the mic at a premium for a
change of cables. I didn't persue legally because it wasn't worth it and
frankly, there was no case. However, that brought up some debates and
"others" (who are in these constant newsgroup battles) who did not know
what was going on decided to join in and start bashing when they didn't
have a clue to what was really going on. Needless to say, "others" is
currently selling the exact same system I put together a few years ago
but now it's ok.

After selling the Satellite for a few years, here are my following
observations. It is a high performance, highly accurate wireless
microphone system. However, I did have some customers (not all) state
that it kept missing some of the smaller words. It seems that this was
directly related to the headset being used. At first, we used the 405UNC
which worked great. But then, we found these units in whole for only $49
total (this is why they are being sold for less than $200 today). This
included the MPA Satellite and a Blueberry GN Stratus headset. Since
these units have been discontinued for over 2 years and the manufacturer
is no longer offering warranty service on them (in conversations with 3
of their support reps), we decided to phase them out. My research
concluded that the headsets which are compatible with this unit only have
a 20 - 3000Hz frequency range. For speech recognition, you should go up
to at least 7000 to 8000 Hz for the best performance. This is the reason
for some of the inaccuracies of the system. The system seems to work
best with the GN Netcom 405UNC headset microphone so buyer beware!

Shure's TCHS wireless headset is also a great performer but many have
complained about the headset being somewhat uncomfortable for long term
use and women especially usually have hair issues with it. Also, battery
life is very limited. It uses a 9 volt battery which must be replaced
every 1-2 weeks for regular usage. Lastly, Shure will discontinue the
TCHS wireless microphone as of December 31, 2001. I still choose this
wireless microphone as the best performer for professional use despite
some of it's shortcomings

Now, Emkay VR5615. Highly accurate, comes with 2 rechargeable batteries,
the only headset which is truly wireless, no belt pack and is in full
production with full manufacturer warranties. But this headset is not
one of the mix of the "best microphones for speech recognition" according
to some. So, what gives?

That's my wrap-up of the "best microphones for speech recognition".
Simply put, there is no best microphone for speech recognition. You have
choices (in some stores) and you simply need to find the right mix of
accuracy, comfort, durability and other features that will give you the
product best suited for you. There are many good microphone choices out
there.

I am sure this thread will bring up some controversies but that is all I
have to say about this subject at this time.

--
Enrique Padilla
http://www.Microphones.com

"The Best Microphones ...and then some... For Speech Recognition"

Martin Markoe

unread,
Dec 11, 2001, 6:13:37 AM12/11/01
to
Enrique,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> These are not flames, simply the facts!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Facts? Information behind the facts must be accurate.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> yes, there were never ending battles with Parmod aka dragonsys.ca
> (although you don't see them anymore because now Marty sells these mics).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I took Parmod to task when he claimed his pods were using a super new
Philips chip, when in fact the chip was in everyone's USB pod. Parmod then
offered to have me test his new line of microphones using ANC technology he
had the license to use. Guess what, these microphones tested out great and I
agreed to add them to my line of "Best Microphones for Speech Recognition."
In the past 1 1/2 Parmod has sent me several other new microphones to test
(including a Lavalier) which I declined as they did not work well enough.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>I am sure there are others but unfortunately
> I don't live on the groups to keep that much track of what battles are
> going on.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Because the groups are moderated, there are none of these problems. People
who flagrantly advertise or make unverifiable claims are blocked. My
presence on these groups is respected because I contribute knowledge and
expertise first, wares last. It's called relationship building. Of course
you don't keep track, you are only interested in either stirring up trouble
or a quick sale.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> behind them saying something to the tone of "they don't support what they
> sell, we do as you can see through the many newsgroups we post through"
> and then says, "look at our articles in SpeechTechnology magazine" using
> it as a stamp of approval for his bashing comments. I didn't even
> respond as it would have caused yet another heated battle in another
> newsgroup. This is only one example of bashing and there have been many
> more.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First you claim you are going to state facts, then you make vague
references. Another fine example of salesmanship but not substance.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
3. Martin Markoe is usually the only one in these heated battles. There
> are many speech recognition vendors on all the lists and you don't see
> this behavior.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is them that ignores the nonsense and then others who don't.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> 5. Then, there is the matter of stealing website graphics which is why I
> now have most of our images tagged with our name on it but we won't get
> into those specifics.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Another vague reference. Please be more specific or stop stating innuendo as
fact.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> 6. Marty. I'm not looking to hurt you or your company or your articles.
> However, I ask that you please stop bashing other companies. Vendors can
> live in harmony and there is plenty of business in the public for
> everyone. You don't have to be at war with everyone, just learn to SHARE
> THE SPACE.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

These battles have been somewhat recreational for me. Responding to the
flames is a great mind exercise. If you want this to end, stop supporting
other vendors who have made blatant misrepresentations as well as outright
lies. Also, stop trying to put me down as you have in these series of
postings. You continue, I continue. If you want to call me and smoke the
peace pipe, that would be fine. I'm planning on visiting my buddy in Palm
Beach the end of January. As you are a hop, skip and a jump away, I'd be
glad to break bread or down a couple of bruskies with you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> now that Marty is out of stock until next year, the new champion is
> Shure. (Oh, and just for the record, we have over a hundred Andrea
> ANC700s IN STOCK so you don't have to revert to Shure if you want an
> Andrea.)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Interesting. My stock got cleaned out by one buyer. I lower my price on the
ANC-750 to what the 700 was to be fair to customers and you say I champion
Shure microphones. Heck, I've always said Shures are as good as Andreas.
They don't sell as well as they are not as sexy, but should I be embarrased
by offering them?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Did you know that the Shure microphones are not always good
candidates for USB connectivity because of too much gain? Of course, no
mention of that.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you actually used speech recognition regularly (remember you posted you
don't), you'd know that all you have to do is turn off the microphone boost.
WE SUPPLY CLEAR HOMEMADE DIRECTIONS for this. I cannot recall one return of
a Shure/USB sound pod.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Simply put, there is no best microphone for speech recognition. You have
> choices (in some stores) and you simply need to find the right mix of
> accuracy, comfort, durability and other features that will give you the
> product best suited for you. There are many good microphone choices out
> there.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Heck, we finally agree on something, "there is no best microphone for speech
recognition." However, it doesn't mean that within all the ones offered,
there are not "BEST" ones. These are the ones that rise above. The $500.00
Sennheiser MD431 II is five times more expensive for 1/2 to one percent more
accuracy. I sell a lot of them. Why? That small increase translates to
dozens of fewer corrections for a user who dictates thousands of words a
day. This can save anywhere from 15 minutes or more time. That is more than
an hour a week and over 50 hours a year. That is why high accuracy is so
important and the BEST MICROPHONES are so important.


Jeff C.

unread,
Dec 11, 2001, 8:29:49 AM12/11/01
to
In article <MPG.167f94997...@192.168.0.2>, Enrique says...

>
>So now, let's put together a little summary of what we have learned here
>with the constant, never ending battles with Martin Markoe of
>SpeechControl (or e-microphone.inc or whatever the name will be). Then,
>in an effort to add some useful information for the poor users that must
>endure these messages, I will put together a very nice summary of the so
>called "best microphones for speech recognition".
>
>These are not flames, simply the facts!
>
>>--
>Enrique Padilla
>http://www.Microphones.com
>"The Best Microphones ...and then some... For Speech Recognition"


Bravo! Very articulate and, again, right on the money.

Marty made a comment on how he wouldn't sell 1000 VXI headsets to one customer
because it would bite him in the butt.

That too is nonsense. I did in fact sell 1000 VXI headsets to the federal
government. No problems! And, VXI backs their computer headsets with a 2-year
UNCONDITIONAL warranty. Yes, TWO-YEARS MARTY! How is THAT not backing product?

You see people, what you have is a fake.

Sites I suggest you visit:
http://www.microphones.com - US
http://www.voiceperfect.com.au - Australia
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com - US
http://www.tietokone.ca - Canada

Jeff C.

unread,
Dec 11, 2001, 8:33:23 AM12/11/01
to

>I took Parmod to task when he claimed his pods were using a super new
>Philips chip, when in fact the chip was in everyone's USB pod.

Can you back that statement up? Any chip-maker names?

Martin Markoe

unread,
Dec 11, 2001, 9:20:09 AM12/11/01
to
Jeff,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> That too is nonsense. I did in fact sell 1000 VXI headsets to the federal
> government. No problems! And, VXI backs their computer headsets with a
2-year
> UNCONDITIONAL warranty. Yes, TWO-YEARS MARTY! How is THAT not backing
product?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From the same people who purchase $600.00 toilet seats. The warranty of
Shure is also 2 years. Besides, what's the point of a two year warranty if
you need to spend many more hours making corrections than with a better
microphone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> You see people, what you have is a fake.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You and your uncouth friends can call me all the names you want. The bottom
line is you and Enrique have acknowledged the problems articulated here are
not with my customers who get treated correctly (the most important
criteria), but with dealers. Therefore, why are you guys wasting your time
on a guy like me, a guy you have repeatedly insinuated is so small he works
out of his bathroom, doesn't have the buying power and other ridiculous
assertions? Could it be that the guy on top is just a target? I am sure that
if I moved along, you would be attacking each other.

With love,
Marty

Martin Markoe

unread,
Dec 11, 2001, 9:22:53 AM12/11/01
to
Jeff,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> >I took Parmod to task when he claimed his pods were using a super new
> >Philips chip, when in fact the chip was in everyone's USB pod.
>
> Can you back that statement up? Any chip-maker names?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Suggest you re-read the statement, you must have missed it. Hint, "Philips
chip." It was on the now discontinued Telex USB sound pod.

Marty


Jeff C.

unread,
Dec 11, 2001, 2:52:45 PM12/11/01
to
In article <u1c5mr5...@corp.supernews.com>, "Martin says...

Everyone's USB pod? Uh huh. OK. So, TELEX is everyone in your book?

I give up. I've dealt with delusional people like you before, and it leads to
nowhere. Unless you continue attacking people who are FAR more experienced and
qualified than you, not to mention professional, you won't be hearing from me.
You're a waste of bandwidth.

Martin Markoe

unread,
Dec 11, 2001, 4:29:26 PM12/11/01
to
Jeff,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Everyone's USB pod? Uh huh. OK. So, TELEX is everyone in your book?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Guess you could have read it many different ways. However, at the time of
the dispute with my buddy Parmod, the only USB sound pod was the Telex. I
guess you weren't in the industry way back then 3 years ago and didn't know
that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I give up.


you won't be hearing from me.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Surrender accepted under the following terms. You must give up all your
microphones and accessories. We will let you go back into your mountain
hideout. However, Mullah Stringham must face our justice system.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I've dealt with delusional people like you before, and it leads to
nowhere.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

With all the delusional people who've played you before you still haven't
learned anything. Now what does that say about you?

Yours in peace, finally,
Martin Markoe


Mephistopheles

unread,
Dec 12, 2001, 9:43:20 PM12/12/01
to
Enrique Padilla wrote:

>
>
>I am sure this thread will bring up some controversies but that is all I
>have to say about this subject at this time.
>

Is that a promise? For someone who claims he wants an end to the flame
war, you sure do a lot of blathering about it.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages