PDA Speech Engines

HansenAlan

Feb 12, 2002, 11:51:51 AM2/12/02
What speech engines exist for PDAs?

Marcus E. Hennecke

Feb 13, 2002, 2:47:29 AM2/13/02
HansenAlan <has...@wiredpocket.com> wrote in message news:<3C694827...@wiredpocket.com>...

> What speech engines exist for PDAs?

Sorry to respond with commercial information here in the newsgroup,
but the mail address didn't work.

We have a speech recognizer that runs on PDAs. It is quite small in
footprint (compared to our competitors) yet offers high accuracy,
speaker independent, continuous speech recognition.

Some background on TEMIC Speech Processing: We have been delivering
speaker independent, continuous speech recognition and processing
solutions to the automotive market since the mid nineties. In 1996 we
brought the world's first in-car speech recognition system to the
market. Since 1997 we are also active in the telecommunication market.
Capitalizing on our experience in robust speech recognition in adverse
conditions and under tight memory and CPU constraints, we have started
in 2001 to make speech recognizers for mobile units such as PDAs and
mobile phones. Our products support the most important European and
American languages and soon Japanese.

Please contact Stefanie Dolderer at stefanie...@temic-sp.com for
more information. She is our sales person for the mobile market.

Best regards,

Marcus Hennecke

--
Dr. Marcus E. Hennecke
TEMIC Sprachverarbeitung GmbH

Andi

Feb 13, 2002, 3:19:48 AM2/13/02
HansenAlan wrote:

> What speech engines exist for PDAs?

Wondows CE, SVOX

http://www.sovx.com

But you have to ask, it's a very new project
and probably not on the website at this time.

Andy

Christian Näger

Feb 13, 2002, 10:35:14 AM2/13/02
Marcus E. Hennecke wrote:

> We have a speech recognizer that runs on PDAs. It is quite small in
> footprint (compared to our competitors) yet offers high accuracy,
> speaker independent, continuous speech recognition.

Are you talking about large vocabulary continous speech recognition
(several 10,000 words) or about command and control (10-50 words)?

Chris

Yann

Feb 13, 2002, 10:44:44 AM2/13/02
PocketSpeech from Elan (http://www.elantts.com )

"HansenAlan" <has...@wiredpocket.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3C694827...@wiredpocket.com...

Marcus E. Hennecke

Feb 14, 2002, 6:23:10 AM2/14/02
Christian Näger <nae...@web.de> wrote in message news:<a4e12f$1epj77$1...@ID-131138.news.dfncis.de>...

I am not talking about dictation. We do command and control, but
certainly more than 10-50 words. Typical command and control
applications have vocabularies on the order of several hundred. Some
applications (e.g. navigation) need several thousand words.

It does depend on the resources available. Some mobile devices (e.g.
cell phones) are very limited in resources. On the PC we can
demonstrate recognition of several 10,000 words and in the telecom
market we do have running applications of that size. This would
probably also run on an iPAQ, but to be honest we haven't had such
large applications on a PDA yet.

We will be demonstrating our technology at the CeBIT (March 13 to 20
in Hannover, Germany) and until then I would rather not disclose any
details on just exactly what applications we are working on. I hope
you understand. 8-)

Regards,

Marcus

Marcus E. Hennecke

Feb 14, 2002, 6:27:21 AM2/14/02
Andi <af...@gmx.ch> wrote in message news:<3C6A21A4...@gmx.ch>...

> HansenAlan wrote:
> > What speech engines exist for PDAs?
>
> Wondows CE, SVOX
>
> http://www.sovx.com

Actually, this should read: http://www.svox.com/

Their speech synthesis is quite good, with very low resource
consumption. Their specialty is the multilingual synthesis: It is
truly multilingual, meaning that in the same sentence you can switch
languages and have it all speak in the same voice. Of course, they are
a Swiss company and in Switzerland you almost have to have a
multilingual synthesis.

Marcus

James Salsman

Feb 16, 2002, 5:11:25 AM2/16/02
> What speech engines exist for PDAs?

Here are some interesting PDA applications:

http://www.ectaco.com/software/item.php3?ssmodid=270&softid=261&scat=8

http://www.ectaco.com/software/item.php3?smodid=271&softid=270&scat=8

Best wishes,
James

Lawrence Larry Ricci

Mar 10, 2002, 9:47:07 AM3/10/02
HansenAlan <has...@wiredpocket.com> wrote in message news:<3C694827...@wiredpocket.com>...
> What speech engines exist for PDAs?

Check www.voxtec.com

SW+HW solution, noise canceling mike, background noise mike, 70dB SNR Audio channel

Lawrence (Larry) Ricci
Applied Data System
lri...@applieddata.net