ANN: Galois.Net and Xml specifications for .Net components (and more...)

1 view

Daniel Perron

Feb 6, 2004, 3:28:21 PM2/6/04
Hello everyone,

I would like to announce to release of the beta version of Galois.Net.
Galois.Net is made of two parts: the Galois Knowledge Environment
and a collection of Xml tags. The Environment is used to create and
share theories presented using the Xml tags.

You can download it at:
http://www.a2ii.com/galois/index.htm

I have paste below a short note I have written about Galois.Net:

Daniel Perron, Ph.D.
Lead Developer Galois.Net

XML specifications for .Net components

The Visual C# compiler has an option switch that extracts the comments
within the source code of the program being written if the comments follow
a certain XML syntax. This simplifies the generation of reference
documentation
for the application. Java compilers also have such a facility and we can
probably
trace the original idea behind such a feature to the proposal for Literate
Programming
made by Donald Knuth in the 80's. In this note, we would like to extend
these
ideas using custom attributes provided by the .Net Framework.

We'll start by defining a custom attribute named Galois as follows:

using System;

namespace Galois
{
[AttributeUsage( AttributeTargets.All, AllowMultiple = true )]
public class GaloisAttribute : Attribute
{
string theory;
public string Theory
{
get
{
return theory;
}
set
{
theory = value;
}
}
public GaloisAttribute( string thm )
{
theory = thm;
}
}
}

We have created a namespace for this attribute and the attribute itself has
only one read-write property Theory of type System.String. You can compile
this code and reference it in your application. The Theory property of every
Galois attributes will be an XML string with tags chosen to allow
specifications
in a certain logic, namely geometric logic. Geometry logic has nice
mathematical
properties (the class of models of a given theory constitutes what
mathematicians
call a topos). For example, we would like to attach a Galois attribute to an
interface that will be used in every Windows.Forms program that use a menu
as follow:

using Galois;

public interface GTMenu {
[Galois(@"
<co a1='p' t1='Program'
a2='m' t2='Menu'
a3='s0' t3='Statement'
a4='s1' t4='Statement'
a5='s2' t5='Statement'

<if><pr n='Uses' a1='p' a2='m'/>
</if>
<pr n='GetValue' a1='a' a2='0' a3='s0'/>
<pr n='Equals' a1='s0' a2='MainMenu.ctor'/>
<pr n='GetValue' a1='a' a2='1' a3='s1'/>
<pr n='Equals' a1='s1' a2='MenuItem.ctor'/>
<pr n='GetValue' a1='a' a2='2' a3='s2'/>
<pr n='Equals' a1='s2' a2='AddEventHandlerForClick'/>
</tn>
</co>
")]
void SetupMenu();
}

Let's look at the interface itself first. The interface is named GTMenu (for
the
Galois Theory of Menu) and it contains only one method SetupMenu() (note
also, the
"using" statement at the beginning to be allowed to use Galois custom
attributes).
The Galois attribute itself is attached to the method SetupMenu of the
interface. The
string that is passed to the attribute starts with the @ sign so we can
break the
specifications on multiple lines and we use ' (a single quote) inside the
string to
delimitate the XML attributes of the Galois.Net elements that we are now
going
to describe.

The top-level element of the XML string is <co a1 ...>. The "co" element of
a Galois
attribute defines a context which is a list of variables names and theirs
types
(as in a1='p' t1='Program' for the variable p of type Program). Inside this