Splunk has Y2.02k bug AND UNIX time_t bug ; 32768h SSD bug

dr.j.r....@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2019, 5:23:12 PM12/18/19
See Risks Digest 31.50 in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.risks or elsewhere, articles :

* This might be a genuine Y2K problem -- are there more? (Martyn Thomas)
* SSD drive with critical failure at 32768 hours of operation (HPE)

and what they each link to.

Both seem to refer to Y2K-class potential computer chaos/disaster generators.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |
Mail: J.R.""""""""@physics.org - or as Reply-To, if any. |

docd...@panix.com

Dec 18, 2019, 8:04:59 PM12/18/19
In article <b1d19726-203b-4637...@googlegroups.com>,
<dr.j.r....@gmail.com> wrote:
>See Risks Digest 31.50 in
>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.risks or elsewhere,
>articles :
>
> * This might be a genuine Y2K problem -- are there more? (Martyn Thomas)
> * SSD drive with critical failure at 32768 hours of operation (HPE)
>
>and what they each link to.
>
>Both seem to refer to Y2K-class potential computer chaos/disaster generators.

Some folks reading here survived a Y2K-class event almost two decades
back.

DD

dr.j.r....@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2020, 6:30:07 PM2/1/20
On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 22:23:12 UTC, dr.j.r...@gmail.com wrote:
> See Risks Digest 31.50 in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.risks or elsewhere, articles :
>
> * This might be a genuine Y2K problem -- are there more? (Martyn Thomas)
> * ...
>
> and what they each link to.
>
> Both seem to refer to Y2K-class potential computer chaos/disaster
> generators.

See also, in http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/31/54, "A lazy fix 20 years ago means the Y2K bug is taking down computers now (New Scientist)" by Paul Saffo.

/In that issue, article "Re: The shooting down of flight PS752 in Iran" includes a note by PGN about problems with the distribution of Risks Digest./

docd...@panix.com

Feb 1, 2020, 10:59:36 PM2/1/20
In article <2ebe9e1f-7da5-4302...@googlegroups.com>,
<dr.j.r....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 22:23:12 UTC, dr.j.r...@gmail.com wrote:
>> See Risks Digest 31.50 in
>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.risks or elsewhere,
>articles :
>>
>> * This might be a genuine Y2K problem -- are there more? (Martyn Thomas)
>> * ...
>>
>> and what they each link to.
>>
>> Both seem to refer to Y2K-class potential computer chaos/disaster
>> generators.
>

>See also, in http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/31/54, "A lazy fix 20 years
>ago means the Y2K bug is taking down computers now (New Scientist)" by
>Paul Saffo.

From the abovegiven URL:

--begin quoted text:

Coders chose 1920 to 2020 as the standard window because of the
significance of the midpoint, 1970. "Many programming languages and
systems handle dates and times as seconds from 1970/01/01, also called
Unix time," says Tatsuhiko Miyagawa, an engineer at cloud platform
provider Fastly.

--end quoted text

Most systems I worked on used a CENTWIN of 45.

DD