Administrivia

Kathy Morgan

Apr 10, 2011, 1:38:15 PM4/10/11
There have been no on-topic submissions received for this group in the
past five months. I think it's time to consider whether there is still
a need for this group.

The companion group comp.software.shareware.users was removed about a
year ago due to no one being interested in using the group. When it was
removed, posts that would have been on-topic there became acceptable for
posting here, but there have been very few.

Is anyone still reading this group? Should it be retained, or should it
be removed?

------------

The charter for this group is:

This is a moderated newsgroup, intended for discussion related to
the creation and sale of shareware software. Without limitation,
acceptable postings may relate to:

Development issues.
Programming issues.
Marketing techniques.
Distribution techniques.

Discussion related to the use of shareware software is also permitted.
Without limitation, acceptable postings may also relate to:

Support questions.
Bugs, fixes and workarounds.
Usage tips.
Shareware reviews and comparisons.

Binary postings are not acceptable, although pointers to binary
postings in appropriate binaries groups are. Commercial
advertisements are not acceptable except insofar as they are bona
fide one-off announcements of new shareware products.
Cross-posting between this newsgroup and other
comp.software.shareware.* newsgroups is not acceptable.

------------

If you think this group still serves a purpose, please post here to let
me know. Lack of responses will be interpreted as lack of interest in
retaining the newsgroup.

I'm also interested in knowing if anyone reads
comp.software.shareware.announce. It receives a large number of
submissions which are approved, but I don't know if anyone is reading
any of them. If you are monitoring the group regularly, please let me
know here. It may be that there is no longer a need for any of the
comp.software.shareware.* groups.

--
Kathy Morgan, Moderator for comp.software.shareware.*

Carl Colijn

Apr 11, 2011, 11:54:28 AM4/11/11
Kathy Morgan wrote:

Hi Kathy,

I used to read this group regularly a few years ago I think, but it was
sitting idle in my newsreader ever since I joined the ASP. By
coincidence I just now looked into this group to see if anything
interesting had been posted or if I should just unsubscribe completely
(alt.comp.shareware.authors is up next), only to find your post the
most recent in 5 months - I think I'll unsubscribe. I also haven't
looked into comp.software.shareware.announce since I posted the first
release of my own shareware there about 5 years ago.

--
Kind regards,
Carl Colijn

TwoLogs - IT Services and Product Development
A natural choice!
http://www.twologs.com
TimeTraces: the powerful and versatile time registration system!
http://timetraces.twologs.com

Steve Rindsberg

Apr 11, 2011, 11:54:34 AM4/11/11
FWIW, I check this group every so often for new posts, but get the
feeling that newsgroups in general are a dying breed.

Are there web-based forums that cover the same ground as this group?
Perhaps it'd be best to leave the group in place for a while but
periodically post a message pointing to alternate resources.

Hate that it might come to that, but the world doesn't always do things
my way. ;-)

Kathy Morgan

Apr 11, 2011, 4:00:19 PM4/11/11
Steve Rindsberg <st...@rdpslides.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I check this group every so often for new posts, but get the
> feeling that newsgroups in general are a dying breed.

Sadly, I believe you're right.

> Are there web-based forums that cover the same ground as this group?

I think there must be, but I don't know what they are. Maybe someone
else will be able to provide an answer.

> Perhaps it'd be best to leave the group in place for a while but
> periodically post a message pointing to alternate resources.

That sounds very reasonable to me, and I'd be happy to approve such
posts. I'd rather use Usenet, but as you say below:

--
Kathy, Moderator of css.*

Carl Colijn

Apr 12, 2011, 12:02:21 PM4/12/11
Kathy Morgan wrote:

> Steve Rindsberg <st...@rdpslides.com> wrote:
>
> > Are there web-based forums that cover the same ground as this group?
>
> I think there must be, but I don't know what they are. Maybe someone
> else will be able to provide an answer.

Not to sound too evangelistic here, but the Association of Software
Professionals (ASP) is a very good alternative, having very active
newsgroups on all sorts of shareware/software business topics (from
development to marketing and everything in between). I've joined about
3 years ago and (almost) never looked back to other sources for
information. Note that it's not a public group - membership fees are
$100 a year - but IMO you get more than what you pay for it.

There are also other groups, like e.g.:
- the Educational Software Cooperative (ESC),
- the Organization of Independent Software Vendors (OISV), and
- the Association of Independent Software Industry Professionals (AISIP)
I found the ASP appealing most to me so I joined them, stayed there and
never looked for alternatives. While the ASP and ESC are quite active,
I believe the rest are somewhat stale, though I have no first-hand
experience with them - you'd have to see for yourself (the OISV is free
so no risk there ;) )

Stephen Wolstenholme

Apr 12, 2011, 12:38:31 PM4/12/11
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:02:21 -0400, "Carl Colijn"
<c.co...@twologs.com> wrote:

>Kathy Morgan wrote:
>
>> Steve Rindsberg <st...@rdpslides.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Are there web-based forums that cover the same ground as this group?
>>
>> I think there must be, but I don't know what they are. Maybe someone
>> else will be able to provide an answer.
>
>Not to sound too evangelistic here, but the Association of Software
>Professionals (ASP) is a very good alternative, having very active
>newsgroups on all sorts of shareware/software business topics (from
>development to marketing and everything in between). I've joined about
>3 years ago and (almost) never looked back to other sources for
>information. Note that it's not a public group - membership fees are
>$100 a year - but IMO you get more than what you pay for it.
>
>There are also other groups, like e.g.:
>- the Educational Software Cooperative (ESC),
>- the Organization of Independent Software Vendors (OISV), and
>- the Association of Independent Software Industry Professionals (AISIP)
>I found the ASP appealing most to me so I joined them, stayed there and
>never looked for alternatives. While the ASP and ESC are quite active,
>I believe the rest are somewhat stale, though I have no first-hand
>experience with them - you'd have to see for yourself (the OISV is free
>so no risk there ;) )

I have been a member of all the organisations you mention but have
given them up after a year or two as the discussions get a bit
repetitive. The one I miss is AISIP and occasionally I post something
to the newsgroup just to see if there is any response. The OISV would
be an excellent group if it had NNTP support but it's web only.

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com