HELP: SCM book?

mho...@hotmail.com

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
I've recently been charged to develop a Software configuration
management plan for a national project. Can anyone recommend a good
text that would describe good naming conventions, directory structures
and all things configuration management. A web site or document on the
subject would be good. If any great standards or process already exist
I would like to use them. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Please e-mail me at Panam...@fcmail.com

Thanks

Bob Ventimiglia

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
I'd suggest Marion Kelly's book, "Configuration Management, the Changing
Image", McGraw Hill, London, 1998. It's the best I've seen and is
unavailable in the US or through Amazon or Barnesandnoble.com. I had to
order it from PCBooks, Ltd. in London. I've also heard that it can be
ordered directly from McGraw Hill, London, but haven't verified that.
Marion has a way with words, good war stories are sprinkled throughout the
book, and more importantly she keeps her eye on the goal and relates all CM
activities to achieving that goal.

bob e v
normal disclaimers

robert.ventimiglia.vcf

Brad Appleton

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
In article <7i46lv$5m2$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

mho...@hotmail.com writes:
>I've recently been charged to develop a Software configuration
>management plan for a national project. Can anyone recommend a good
>text that would describe good naming conventions, directory structures
>and all things configuration management. A web site or document on the
>subject would be good. If any great standards or process already exist
>I would like to use them. I would greatly appreciate the help.

See http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/acme/scm-readings.html
for a list of reading recommendations. For links to all things
SCM check out the CM yellow pages and the CM FAQ (both which are
linked to at the top of the page for the aforementioned URL).

Cheers!
--
Brad Appleton <bra...@enteract.com> | http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/
"And miles to go before I sleep." | 3700+ WWW links on CS & Sw-Eng

Brad Appleton

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
In article <374814BA...@lmco.com>,

Bob Ventimiglia <robert.ve...@lmco.com> writes:
>I'd suggest Marion Kelly's book, "Configuration Management, the Changing
>order it from PCBooks, Ltd. in London. I've also heard that it can be
>ordered directly from McGraw Hill, London, but haven't verified that.

I can verify that. I obtained the book through McGraw Hill U.K. a few
years ago (after a long fruitless search to obtain it in the US).

>Marion has a way with words, good war stories are sprinkled throughout the
>book, and more importantly she keeps her eye on the goal and relates all CM
>activities to achieving that goal.

That she does. A few snippets from the book that give definitions of
things as well as a taste of hear clear yet creative style:

Configuration Management (CM) is the engineering and administrative
disciples (which include configuration identification, control,
status accounting, and auditing) that ensure that every part of the
projects configuration is identified, reliable, traceable, and
repeatable. These four disciplines are in fact very straightforward
and logical ways of ensuring that:

you know what you have got to produce;
once you have got it, you know where it is and what state it is in;
only the right people can use or change it and they will understand
the impact of that change;
useful reports are available;
and the agreed procedures are being followed, so that everything
hangs together properly

. . .

Think of CM as a spinal cord, linking all parts of the nervous
system; providing the single channel through which all information
can flow, but protecting it with a hard yet flexible vertebra!

. . .

A configuration item (CI) is any part of the development and/or
deliverable system (whether software, hardware, firmware, drawings,
inventories and/or documentation) which needs to be independently
identified, stored, tested, reviewed, used, changed, delivered and/or
maintained. CIs can differ widely in complexity and may contain other
CIs in a hierarchy.

The "spinal ... vertebra" quote is one of my favorite from a CM
definition :-)

mho...@hotmail.com

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate the input! I just hope
I can find some of these books :)

Mike Hoffman

robert.ve...@lmco.com wrote:
> --------------8E2397C7C6B3A8A8D2392FDE

> I'd suggest Marion Kelly's book, "Configuration Management, the
Changing

> Image", McGraw Hill, London, 1998. It's the best I've seen and is
> unavailable in the US or through Amazon or Barnesandnoble.com. I had

> order it from PCBooks, Ltd. in London. I've also heard that it can be
> ordered directly from McGraw Hill, London, but haven't verified that.

> Marion has a way with words, good war stories are sprinkled throughout
the
> book, and more importantly she keeps her eye on the goal and relates
all CM
> activities to achieving that goal.
>

> bob e v
> normal disclaimers
>
> mho...@hotmail.com wrote:
>

> > I've recently been charged to develop a Software configuration
> > management plan for a national project. Can anyone recommend a good
> > text that would describe good naming conventions, directory
structures
> > and all things configuration management. A web site or document on
the
> > subject would be good. If any great standards or process already
exist
> > I would like to use them. I would greatly appreciate the help.
> >

> > Please e-mail me at Panam...@fcmail.com
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
> > ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---
>

> --------------8E2397C7C6B3A8A8D2392FDE
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Ventimiglia;Bob
> x-mozilla-html:TRUE
> org:LMAS
> version:2.1
> email;internet:robert.ve...@lmco.com
> title:Environment, Tools, & SCM Manager
> x-mozilla-cpt:;0
> fn:Bob Ventimiglia
> end:vcard
>
> --------------8E2397C7C6B3A8A8D2392FDE--

wondwos...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2016, 8:11:41 AM9/17/16
Dear Sir

Could you please share with me the book

Best regards

Jorgen Grahn

Sep 18, 2016, 1:27:24 AM9/18/16
On Sat, 2016-09-17, wondwos...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Sir
>
> Could you please share with me the book

The group comp.software.config-mgmt is very inactive, and has been so
for many years. Sorry, you're more likely to get help elsewhere. (I
don't know where, and have no idea what SCM books are good.)

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .