Which development platform for enterprise web app

John Elrick

Aug 9, 2001, 6:01:50 PM8/9/01
Hello all

Sorry if this question is irrelevent but am a newbie and have not found an
obvious group to post to.

If you were developing an enterprise web app supporting concurrent users
numbering thousands, against more that one database type, oracle, sybase,
informix, sql ,DB2 etc, which tools would you use to develop it??

I have done some research and one option seems to be Enterprise Javebean app
servers which hold the business logic and talk to the backend database.
Servers or JSp would be responsible for calling services in the EJBs and
then rendering results in DHTML. Is this correct?

Are there any other prominent technologies that could be used? Does
Microsoft have a similar architecture that could be used to provide
load-balancing etc and if so what is it?

Can anyone suggest the pros and cons of going either route? Eg will both
routes provide good support for all databases?

What OS provides the best performance for an app server , win2000 or unix
etc?
Is there a faq detailing this?
Thanks in advance

Vincent McNabb

Aug 15, 2001, 5:33:07 AM8/15/01

If you want to go the Microsoft way, use Win2K with IIS 5 to server the
website.

And use MS Visual Studio (VB, InterDev) to develope your web applications

I have found IIS to be very reliable, but be sure to keep downloading the
security updates.

But as far as Unix gos I have no Idea

"John Elrick" <Ian.E...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Vorxion

Aug 15, 2001, 5:17:24 PM8/15/01
In article <tlre7.3988$ww1.3...@news02.tsnz.net>, Vincent McNabb wrote:

>If you want to go the Microsoft way,

...then you're daft and haven't been reading the 15+ security bulletins and
alerts that have been released in the last two months alone regarding IIS 4
and especially 5, much less the underlying OS.

>use Win2K with IIS 5 to server the
>website.

I could never in good conscience recommend IIS. Just leave the keys to
your Ferrari on the front dash, would you please?

>I have found IIS to be very reliable, but be sure to keep downloading the
>security updates.

It's very reliable at being a major security risk that no IT/MIS
professional in their right mind that DESERVES their job would touch
without a kicking-and-screaming fight with management over it.

So yes, be sure to keep downloading the updates. Better yet, try APPLYING
the updates. Microsoft -had- the updates, they just never APPLIED them to
Hotmail's servers. Brilliance at its best.

>But as far as Unix gos I have no Idea

Two recommendations: Stronghold, and Zeus. I've used StrongHold, which is
Apache+SSL basically in versions 2.3 and 2.4. Solid product. I hear Zeus
is much faster though. I'd investigate both.

>> Are there any other prominent technologies that could be used? Does
>> Microsoft have a similar architecture that could be used to provide
>> load-balancing etc and if so what is it?

If you want symmetric multi-processing, get linux or *BSD. If you want
commercial and really expensive "Enterprise Class" solutions that will set
you back many grand, investigate OpenLinux 8.

>> Can anyone suggest the pros and cons of going either route? Eg will both
>> routes provide good support for all databases?

Con: Microsoft.

Whether that's a statement or an allegation is left to the reader's
discretion.

Pro: *nix of some flavour, excepting SCO or IRIX.

>> What OS provides the best performance for an app server , win2000 or unix
>> etc?

Check the editorial off of http://xenitec.on.ca/ ...The Kirch Paper is the
one I was reading last.

As for personal experience, hands down, unix.

--
Vorxion - Member of The Vortexa Elite