Wall Street - Immediate Positions -$75,000 to $400,000- Top Talent

Stop Recruiting Spam

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

In comp.unix.admin TheWayneGroup wrote:

>Browse through our website for a listing of immediate
>Wall Street opportunities for:

Bait and Switch

* Offered a contract 'in Hawaii', paying $60/hr with free local
housing, transportation, and monthly trips home to the mainland
(extremely attractive terms, don't you think, considering the desirable
location?). Recruiter 'needed to check' which city the contract was in.
I submitted my resume', and never heard from them again about this or
any other contract (1 year now). This may have been a new start-up's
way of building a resume' data base.

* This firm also advertises signing bonuses but never pays them as well
as exorbitant salaries that it never delivers.

* Agent promised interview and requested my list of references. As I
found later this promise was a lie and my list of references was used
for marketing.

* Sales representative pressured me to sign a non-compete agreement
after I interviewed with the client, stating verbally to me that an
offer was on the table. I signed the agreement. The day after I signed
the non compete, the representative stated that the client withdrew the
offer. I confronted the representative with this suspicion and my
impression was that the offer of a position was an out and fabrication
to induce me to sign the non compete agreement.

* Although the recruiter and I had agreed to a rate before the
interview, when I called her several hours after the interview (which
had gone well, as I was rejoining my former project), she tried (and
failed) to chisel me down, saying that 'the client is reluctant to pay
your rate'. This might have been plausible, except that she had quoted
me what she said was the billing rate, and it was below that of at
least one other team member (I had checked). When I mentioned this, she
quickly dropped "the client's" demand, and gave me the rate we had
originally agreed on.

Pestering

* Called me several times after I told them to stop, and I had also
told them to take my resume off of their database. I stopped getting
calls from them only after I changed phone numbers. Staff acted like
used-car salespeople.

* Marketing was done in so unacceptable style that some of my
references asked me not to use their names again. I met other
contractors with the same experience.

Contract Shenanigans

* Submitted a different contract than the one signed by me and
therefore a lower rate showed up on my pay check. After checking and
verifying the difference, they corrected it after 3 weeks of calling
and demanding the change.

* Required that [I] sign a "contract before the contract" before being
submitted to anyone. This contract ...would have required paying a
lawyer twice. One of the provisions was that, if the client makes an
offer, the consultant must "finalize all contractual matters with ACS"
within one business day of the INTERVIEW (not the offer).

* Before the interview, told me that I had to accept the contract if
the client offered it to me. When I balked, they seemed visibly upset.

* Real contract has Penalty clause ($1500) for cancelling + restrictive
non-compete. Very vague about this at the interview.

Pressure to Go W-2

* They claimed to deal with contractors or Incorporated people, but
when I went to interview with them, they "suggested" that it wasn't
"profitable for you to go as an IC or Corp unless you were making at
least $45-50 per hour," and instead I should become one of their
employees. I brushed them off, and they called again recently saying
they had a position at Chevron, and they I only had to send them a
non-compete agreement before they submitted me. I did so, and they
COMPLETELY avoided talking to me or returning any of my msg's.

* Extremely aggressive Legal department. Every Contract renewal is a
fight ! - with more demands surfacing every time. Wanted 2 yrs
Corporate Tax returns and all kindsa information - on a renewal...

* Initially said I must incorporate to be independent. Then, after I
went into them for an interview, said I could not be independent even
if I were incorporated. They were advertising their positions on the
DICE Bulletin Board as INDOK rather than W2ONLY. At the interview
(before revealing their requirement for W-2 work) they pumped me for my
company's confidential client list.

* They had gotten me a job, which, to my understanding, was to be 1099.
At the last minute, they said it was W-2 only, and that if I were to do
1099/corp-to-corp, I'd have to have had a "relationship" with them for
over 6 months before they considered it. After telling them to fly a
kite, due to "ethical" reasons, they "deactivated" me from further work
with [their firm]. The recruiter I worked with was EXTREMELY
pressuring, and very hard to deal with.

Looking for Cobalt programmers . . .

* They also had test questions in CICS and COBOL that they gave
consultants over the phone, and some of their "right" answers were out
of date by about 10 years!

* The recruiter...felt I didn't have enough experience in WinNT (I have
2.5 years NT experience), because their client requested the contractor
have at least 5 years experience in windows NT...the program didn't
exist back then.

High Pressure Tactics

* Were trying to make me promise that I will take the offer if the
client decides to take me. Idiotic bargaining by increasing the rate by
$1 or $2 while I was asking for about $10 more. Absolutely arrogant.

Pay? You mean you expected to get paid?

* I know several people working for them who earn $30/hr-$37/hr and are
billed out at $90/hr.

* Stiffed me for the last week of the assignment then refused to return
phone calls and/or letters

* After signing a contract with which specifically stated I was a
hourly employee, they placed me at a client that only paid consultants
on a "professional day". This meant I was they expected to work up to
10 hours for the same daily fee as 8. Regardless of my contract, the
agency would not pay me the additional hours.

* Contract states that they pay in 30 days, but I was lucky to get
45-60.

* After getting a raise from them, it took over 2 months and repeated
phone calls to actually see it on my paycheck.

Out of Control

* Sent my resume to a client where I was on a contract without
informing me.

* Faxed resumes to my boss for my contract position to replace me by
getting the company's name from my resume.

* Kept trying to pump me for names of my co-workers, even after I said
"no". Sent my resume to many firms without consulting me first.

Consulting Firm Hall of Shame

From Janet Ruhl's Computer Consultant's Resource Page
(http://www.javanet.com/~technion)