Viewer for SPSS files

Stephan Barth

Nov 7, 2008, 11:38:46 AM11/7/08
Hello,

I am looking for a program with which I am able to view SPSS files. Does
anybody know if such a program exists and where I can get it?

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Stephan

--
Dr. Stephan Barth
stepha...@gmx.de

Bruce Weaver

Nov 7, 2008, 11:57:06 AM11/7/08
On Nov 7, 11:38 am, "Stephan Barth" <stephan-ba...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a program with which I am able to view SPSS files. Does
> anybody know if such a program exists and where I can get it?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Best regards
>
> Stephan

If you mean an Output File viewer, yes--at least there is one for
viewing older versions of output files (with .spo extension). If you
mean a data file viewer, I don't think so.

--
Bruce Weaver
bwe...@lakeheadu.ca

Ben Pfaff

Nov 7, 2008, 2:28:43 PM11/7/08
Bruce Weaver <bwe...@lakeheadu.ca> writes:

> On Nov 7, 11:38 am, "Stephan Barth" <stephan-ba...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I am looking for a program with which I am able to view SPSS files. Does
>> anybody know if such a program exists and where I can get it?
>

> If you mean an Output File viewer, yes--at least there is one for
> viewing older versions of output files (with .spo extension). If you
> mean a data file viewer, I don't think so.

PSPP, available at http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp, can view
SPSS data files.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org

she...@anovisions.com

Jan 8, 2014, 11:27:41 AM1/8/14

> PSPP, available at http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp, can view
> SPSS data files.

Yes, it can view data files, but not SPSS output files (go figure). So far I can't find any way to view spss output files short of buying spss--and that's lots of $$$$!!! Anybody else have any ideas?

And if you say "smartreader," please provide an actual link to the actual download. I find a lot of info online about this tool but can't find the download link & would appreciate some help w/that. Thanks!

Bruce Weaver

Jan 8, 2014, 2:17:59 PM1/8/14

pranjal....@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2014, 3:53:20 PM6/11/14
I understand it's been year you asked this, just posting as this is still an open thread.

http://savreader.com/

Is the one I use.

Regards,
Pranjal
Track Opinion

satter...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2014, 7:13:11 PM7/21/14
I don't know if the person that originated the post needed it a year later but it helped me out! So thanks!!

rebaaron...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2014, 9:34:07 AM11/7/14
Me too - thanks!

egoik...@deusto.es

Nov 30, 2014, 7:48:52 AM11/30/14
Thank you very much for sharing information so helpful.

aka...@email.jfku.edu

Aug 5, 2015, 5:34:48 PM8/5/15
thank you!

allen....@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2015, 4:28:00 PM8/14/15
SavReader is terrific -- thanks!

phdms...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2016, 5:21:32 AM3/5/16
Thanks for this. What can i use to open a .spv file?
Message has been deleted

snv...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2017, 6:28:57 AM1/2/17
http://www.colectica.com/software/colecticaforexcel colectica is probably cheapest i saw

rosemh...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2017, 2:26:10 PM1/22/17
So far, none of the responses actually provide details about how to get a program that allows you to view SPSS output files (not data files), so I'm posting instructions for that even though the question was asked a while ago.
IBM does make a free program for viewing SPSS output files (.spv files), called SmartReader. It's surprisingly hard to track down a link to download it, but this worked for me:
1. Go here https://www-01.ibm.com/marketing/iwm/iwm/web/preLogin.do?source=swg-tspssp
2. If you don't have one already, you'll need to create an IBM account (and opt out of their mailing lists on three separate pages...)
3. Once you've created your account, return to the log in page above and log in.
4. Scroll down and select "Tools for SPSS Statistics Products Multiplatform" and then download the files relevant for your operating system (note that if you're using Chrome you'll need to switch from the default "Download Director" to "download from http" in the tab at the top).
Cheers,
Rose

scottedwards2000

Feb 20, 2017, 11:01:50 PM2/20/17
Thank you, Rose! It was worth scrolling to the end! :-)

Scott

vara...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2017, 4:17:44 AM3/6/17
Thank you, Rose! This helped me out incredibly so!

kbfi...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2017, 2:53:04 PM4/16/17
Thanks Rose. Your concise instructions cut through the clutter nicely!

dewi.penyuk...@gmail.com

May 17, 2017, 9:36:59 AM5/17/17
thank you so much. it helps

shilpy...@gmail.com

May 18, 2017, 4:12:12 AM5/18/17
Hi
I can view spss file but can't view outruth.
No output window is popping out

fredwea...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2017, 9:15:09 PM6/1/17
Thanks, Rose. That was a good help! :)

ogb...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2017, 10:43:40 PM6/8/17
Good morning Rose,

I read your guidelines on how to open SPSS files. Was able to follow the steps up to downloading the smartreader, but could not install it.

Please, how do I install it?
How do I continue from here?

Your urgent attention will be highly appreciated.

rkba...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2017, 1:28:50 PM7/8/17
I just made a webapp to do this where you can just upload the file: https://rkbarney.shinyapps.io/thisnotthatstat/ upload your .sav and choose .csv and then open in Excel.

You could also use the Haven Package in R to transfer to .csv and then open the .csv file in Excel (which is what that webapp does in the background).

victoria....@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2017, 4:46:01 AM8/16/17
Thank you Rose! Your help was really useful!

abi.r...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2017, 6:43:38 AM9/14/17
On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 7:26:10 PM UTC, rosemh...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks Rose!
Great instructions and this solved the issue.
Much appraciated.
Abi

docto...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2017, 8:44:51 AM12/23/17
Rose, what a star! Thanks for these instructions. Exactly what I was looking for.

ratha

Feb 14, 2018, 7:59:32 AM2/14/18
Thanks for the sharing, useful information

comsi...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2018, 8:57:00 AM4/4/18
On Friday, November 7, 2008 at 9:38:46 PM UTC+5, Stephan Barth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a program with which I am able to view SPSS files. Does
> anybody know if such a program exists and where I can get it?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Best regards
>
> Stephan
>
> --
> Dr. Stephan Barth
> stephan-barth@gmx.dehttp://www.asselberghs.dds.nl/stuff.htm
> www.stephan-barth.de

http://www.asselberghs.dds.nl/stuff.htm

ando....@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2018, 8:21:30 PM10/3/18
That's awesome, thanks Rose!

Kelli

jason...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2019, 5:44:42 PM12/16/19
Today is December 16, 2019 and this is still useful information!
Thank you!! This was a life saver.
Message has been deleted

lloy...@vt.edu

Jan 1, 2020, 11:40:47 PM1/1/20
Seconded in 2020! I'll be printing this out and sharing with my department. A lot of them don't have their own copies of SPSS, but I get the feeling that a lot would appreciate this.

anders...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2020, 2:47:34 AM2/20/20
Hi Rose
Thanks for the information. Does not work with OS Catalina though, at least not yet as it seems

nava...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2020, 9:56:46 AM3/1/20

مختبر علم الاجتماع / تاقیگەی زانستی كۆمەڵناسی

Sep 3, 2020, 2:48:08 PM9/3/20
في الجمعة، 7 نوفمبر 2008 في تمام الساعة 6:38:46 م UTC+2، كتب Stephan Barth رسالة نصها:
> Hello,
> I am looking for a program with which I am able to view SPSS files. Does
> anybody know if such a program exists and where I can get it?
> Thank you very much!
> Best regards
> Stephan
> --
> Dr. Stephan Barth
> stepha...@gmx.de
> www.stephan-barth.de

thanks so much

Kai Borgolte

Apr 8, 2021, 7:18:34 AM4/8/21
It's 2021, and actually IBM hides download links for Smartreader at

<https://community.ibm.com/community/user/datascience/viewdocument/extensions-tools-and-utilities-for?CommunityKey=886b6874-0fb1-402c-8243-c70ef8179a99&tab=librarydocuments>

The zip file for version 27 Windows 64 bit contains two exe files and
one msi file. I tried "SmartReader.exe" first and it did the setup.
--
Kai Borgolte, Bonn

Thomas Schultze

Jul 2, 2021, 8:55:32 AM7/2/21
Thanks Kai! A lot.

Kasey Philyaw

Oct 26, 2021, 6:20:16 PM10/26/21
On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 11:26:10 AM UTC-8, rosemh...@gmail.com wrote:
Thank you Rose this saved me today!!

Zoe F

Feb 1, 2023, 2:54:17 PM2/1/23
Has anyone been able to find the mac version anywhere recently? When I follow the instructions from this link (provided by previous posters):
https://community.ibm.com/community/user/ai-datascience/viewdocument/extensions-tools-and-utilities-for?CommunityKey=886b6874-0fb1-402c-8243-c70ef8179a99&tab=librarydocuments
it tells me to go here "Tools for SPSS Statistics...": https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?source=swg-tspssp

but then there is no smartreader for mac there. :(
If anyone has had luck finding the smartreader for mac, please, let me know and I will be very greatful!!!

martin muuri

Jun 18, 2023, 3:21:58 PM6/18/23
Thanks everyone for the useful info. I was so lost on how to open the SPSS output sent by a client.