solve in R2008b; bug or feature?

1 view

Joerg J. Buchholz

Oct 26, 2008, 9:21:52 AM10/26/08
In R2008b, solve seems to return strange results:

>> solve ('x^(5/2) + x^(1/2) = 42')

ans =

0

Loren Shure

Oct 27, 2008, 11:53:32 AM10/27/08
In article <7ilNk.27346$bK.2...@newsfe04.iad>, robe...@hushmail.com
says...
> Gotta be a bug :(

Yes, and I've added to our system so it can be fixed.

--
Loren
http://blogs.mathworks.com/loren

Walter Roberson

Oct 27, 2008, 11:41:08 AM10/27/08

Gotta be a bug :(

Message has been deleted

Vladimir Bondarenko

Oct 31, 2008, 1:08:03 PM10/31/08
Vladimir Bondarenko <v...@cybertester.com> wrote in message <d3846338-a3ef-4b62...@d10g2000pra.googlegroups.com>...

> On Oct 26, 3:21=A0pm, "Joerg J. Buchholz" <jjbuchh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In R2008b, solve seems to return strange results:

> > ans =3D
> >
> > 0
>
> We also acquired MATLAB 2008b + Symbolic Toolbox.
>
> Your example is just a specific case of the hundreds MATLAB 2008b
> bugs discovered by our VM machine without any human intervention.
> But this is just the beginning of the story.
>
> To make a long story short, on Oct 15, 2008 we sent a message to
> the MathWorks owners but had a communication problem; Mr. Lord
> kindly promised "to determine the correct course of action for
> the issue" we raised.
>
> So, hopefully, thanks to Mr. Lord's effort, soon we will be able
> to sent an email message to Mr. Little and Dr. Moler in the way
> it reaches them.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Vladimir Bondarenko
>
> Co-founder, CEO, Mathematical Director
>
> http://www.cybertester.com/ Cyber Tester Ltd.

> "We must understand that technologies
> like these are the way of the future."

"Mr. Lord kindly promised "to determine the correct
course of action for the issue" we raised."

Mr. Lord contacted me today, after 10 days I sent him letter,
and reported that he "contacted the appropriate staff here
at The MathWorks"