where did avifie() go?? Undefined function or variable 'avifile'.

Michael Levin

Feb 1, 2017, 12:28:08 PM2/1/17
I just upgraded from Matlab 2009 to Matlab 2016 on my Apple OS X system. I have code that used to work fine, using the function avifile to write a movie file. Now it gives me

Undefined function or variable 'avifile'.

Error in Halleysmethod (line 130)
aviobj=avifile(filename,'colormap',cmap,'compression','None','fps',7);

>> help avifile

avifile not found.

Use the Help browser search field to search the documentation, or
type "help help" for help command options, such as help for methods.

What's going on, where did it go?

Steven Lord

Feb 1, 2017, 1:36:08 PM2/1/17
"Michael Levin" wrote in message <o6t5r4$31p$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> I just upgraded from Matlab 2009 to Matlab 2016 on my Apple OS X system. I have code that used to work fine, using the function avifile to write a movie file. Now it gives me
>
> Undefined function or variable 'avifile'.

*snip*

> What's going on, where did it go?

It started issuing a warning in release R2012b and throwing an error in release R2014b.

https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/release-notes.html?rntext=avifile&startrelease=R14SP2&endrelease=R2016b&groupby=release&sortby=descending&searchHighlight=avifile

As that table suggests, replace calls to AVIFILE with VideoWriter. We first formally recommended that you transition to VideoWriter in release R2012a.

--
Steve Lord
sl...@mathworks.com

Michael Levin

Feb 7, 2017, 4:00:08 PM2/7/17
"Steven Lord" wrote in message <o6t9qk$bga$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> > As that table suggests, replace calls to AVIFILE with VideoWriter. We first formally recommended that you transition to VideoWriter in release R2012a.

aha. Is there an obvious equivalence in functions I can easily switch to (i.e., do I just rename the functions and keep the same parameters) or do I need to learn about VideoWriter and re-do all my code in a serious way? I.e., is this a cosmetic change with renaming of functions and thus a find-replace thing, or a significant change that requires major revisions to code that called AVIFILE? thank you!