Canalyzer log file to mat file conversion

Simon Ryley

Dec 12, 2002, 6:09:49 AM12/12/02
Hello all,

I use Canalyzer regularly to analyze automotive CAN Networks. To
display CAN plots more easily or load data into MATLAB/Simulink, I
frequently convert the CANalyzer log files to mat files using the
converter built into CANalyzer.

I now find myself with a batch of 40 plus log files to convert from
log to mat files. Does anyone know the format of log files to allow
me to write my own batch converter in MATLAB?

The CANalyzer converter is both slow and laborious to set up, and
does not seem to support batch conversions.

All help appreciated.

Simon

Eric Kampe

Dec 24, 2002, 2:09:06 PM12/24/02

Hello Simon,

We don't currently have a method of converting a batch of log files
into another format. If you want to write your own batch converter,
it would be easiest to convert from the ASCII format. The ASCII
format should be easy enough to understand using a simple text editor.

0.0002 1 A Rx d 1 D8
One line from an ASCII log file:
Time Stamp, CAN Channel #, Message ID (in hex), Rx for received (Tx
for transmit), 'd' for data, and finally the data in Hex.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact us at Vector if you need
anything. I'll try and check this newsgroup when I get back from
break.

Happy Holidays,

Eric Kampe
Vector CANtech
248-449-9290
eric....@vector-cantech.com

Simon Ryley

Jan 7, 2003, 9:04:12 AM1/7/03
Eric,

Thanks for your post. I only just found it as the newsgroup didn't
send me an email when someone replies to the thread.

Unfortunately all the log files are in binary format. My analysis of
the files shows a header section, starting with "MDF", and including
a timestamp and date. The data section then starts with each line
havng a timestamp, (reading from LSB to MSB), CAN channel number, Rx
or Tx flag, the message ID, (again LSB first) four bytes of null
padding, then the data itself.

Am I correct so far?

Many thanks for the help,

Simon

Eric Kampe

Jan 7, 2003, 9:53:47 AM1/7/03
Simon,

I haven't gotten a chance to work directally with the MDF format as
of yet, so I cannot verify your breakdown of the log file off hand.
However, I wouldn't want you to spend all the time necessary to
decode this file type by hand.

I have a formal description of the MDF file format, and a C library
with example code that should be what you need to get started reading
binary log files from CANoe or CANalyzer.

I'll forward these files to your email address, and they are
available to anyone else reading this thread that may be interested.

I hope this helps.
As always, questions/comments are welcome.

Prakash

Sep 26, 2011, 8:49:28 AM9/26/11
Hi Eric/Simon,
I am doing something similar to Simon and would like to have the related documents for the same.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Prakash

Gérald HILD

Oct 19, 2011, 5:12:23 AM10/19/11
Hi All,
Could you send me documents about mdf file and the C library please ?

Best regards

Gérald HILD
geral...@vettiner.com

Gérald HILD

Oct 19, 2011, 5:13:13 AM10/19/11

Jooyoung

Nov 7, 2011, 8:15:14 PM11/7/11
Dear Prakash,

I also suffer from similar problem with Simon. In my case, I have to convert over 3 hundred log files into mat file.

It will be very appreciate if you send me the related documents.

Thanks,
Jooyoung Ma

Ty Sayman

Nov 29, 2011, 5:16:38 PM11/29/11
On Nov 7, 8:15 pm, "Jooyoung " <jooyoung...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Prakash,
>
> I also suffer from similar problem with Simon.  In my case, I have to convert over 3 hundred log files into mat file.
>
> It will be very appreciate if you send me the related documents.
>
> Thanks,
> Jooyoung Ma
>

> "Prakash " <prakashnar...@msn.com> wrote in message <j5psco$cn...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> > Hi Eric/Simon,
> > I am doing something similar to Simon and would like to have the related documents for the same.Any help would be appreciated.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Prakash
>
> > "Eric Kampe" <eric.ka...@vector-cantech.com> wrote in message <eeb65f...@WebX.raydaftYaTP>...
> > > Simon,
>
> > > I haven't gotten a chance to work directally with the MDF format as
> > > of yet, so I cannot verify your breakdown of the log file off hand.
> > > However, I wouldn't want you to spend all the time necessary to
> > > decode this file type by hand.
>
> > > I have a formal description of the MDF file format, and a C library
> > > with example code that should be what you need to get started reading
> > > binary log files from CANoe or CANalyzer.
>
> > > I'll forward these files to your email address, and they are
> > > available to anyone else reading this thread that may be interested.
>
> > > I hope this helps.
> > > As always, questions/comments are welcome.
>
> > > Eric Kampe
> > > Vector CANtech
> > > 248-449-9290
> > > eric.ka...@vector-cantech.com

And I do too!
Would it be possible for me to get these documents?

ASL Bravo

Jan 17, 2012, 11:09:09 AM1/17/12

hi.

Can anyone please send me <eng...@live.co.uk> the script as well. I need to convert handfull of CAN logs in ASCII to mat files for simulation.

thanks in advance.

Reid

Mar 6, 2012, 9:20:13 AM3/6/12
I created a set of matlab scripts that converts Vector CANalyzer (asc or blf) files to Matlab data structures.

Reid Steiger

Ford Research & Advanced Engineering Europe
Ford Werke GmbH, D-MF/1048, Spessartstrasse, D-50725 Köln, Germany
E-mail: rste...@ford.com

Cavelan

Apr 18, 2012, 4:03:18 AM4/18/12
Hi I would be happy if I could get the scripts too. kristoffe...@gmail.com

Jiang Xin

May 19, 2012, 10:59:27 AM5/19/12
Reid,
I would be of great help if you can kindly share me the scripts you created, I'm working on importing .blf file into matlab workspace. Thank you.
xingx...@gmail.com

Deepak

May 25, 2012, 6:50:12 AM5/25/12
Hi Mr. Reid,

Greetings!

It would be og great help of you can share the scripts you created related to subject. I also have the hundreds of log files which i need to convert into mat file.

Look forward to your support and response.

Thanks & Regards,
Deepak Panwar

Deepak

May 25, 2012, 6:55:07 AM5/25/12
Hi Mr. Jiang,
I'm aslo working on the same i.e importing .blf into matlab workspace. Therefore request you to kindly share the scripts, I would be of great help.

Thanks & Regards,
Deepak Panwar
deepak...@maruti.co.in
chob...@gmail.com

Seth

Jul 5, 2012, 3:29:15 PM7/5/12
Reid,

I would greaty benefit from those scripts if you don't mind sharing...

Thanks,
Seth
matthew...@lord.com

Sami

Jul 24, 2012, 3:29:15 PM7/24/12
Hi Reid,

Would you mind sharing the scripts that you did ?

Regards,
Sami Oweis.
sew...@oakland.edu

Travis Orvedahl

Aug 7, 2012, 2:19:16 PM8/7/12
Similar to everyone else in the post, I am looking for additional information on the BLF and the CLF file types that the Vector Data Logger (GL1000 and GL3000) store the data in. I already have scripts to parse the data once extracted to ASCII files, but the ASC files tend to be very large, making it time consuming to transfer to/from test sites or network share locations.

Does anybody have information on the CLF file type or the BLF file type and how the data is stored, and can be extracted in MATLAB?

Best Regards

Benjamin

Oct 29, 2012, 4:19:08 PM10/29/12
Hi Reid,

I would really appreciate if you could share the scripts with me.

red...@gmail.com

Daniel

Oct 30, 2012, 1:30:08 PM10/30/12
Hi Reid,

As with all the other messages contained on the page I would really appreciate if you could share the scripts with me.

Regards

Dan

Daniel

Oct 30, 2012, 1:33:08 PM10/30/12
Hi Reid,

As with the other posts on this thread I would appreciate if you could share the .asc to .mat file conversion scripts.

Regards

Dan

Luc

Nov 27, 2012, 3:56:06 AM11/27/12
Has anyone gotten the script from Reid?

please share with the community.
Thanks.

Rimpy

Feb 2, 2013, 2:34:08 AM2/2/13
Dear Eric,
Greetings!!
It would of great help if you could kindly send me the script for reading the blf files. In addition,I have no idea regardinfg the structure of the CAN .blf files.
Looking forward to your kind help and support.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks & Regards,
Rimpy SarKar

Jaremy

Feb 4, 2013, 12:31:08 PM2/4/13
Hello all,

I wanted to add that our Vehicle Network Toolbox product includes functions that allow import of Vector ASCII log files into MATLAB. VNT is a CAN connectivity toolbox with MATLAB functions, Simulink blocks, and a GUI message tool. Take a look at the product page for more information:

http://www.mathworks.com/products/vehicle-network/

Thanks!

Siddhi Imming

Feb 14, 2013, 6:40:17 AM2/14/13
Hi Reid Steiger,

Is it possible to share the script whit me?

Siddhi Imming

Yadunandan

Mar 13, 2013, 7:27:06 PM3/13/13
"Reid " <Reid.S...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <jj56et$lcq$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
Hello Ried,
I'd be really glad and thankful to you if you could please share you script files to me at nand...@hotmail.com.

It would really help me in my data analysis. Right now, I made a script file, but it could read only one CAN message per asc or blf. That means, every time when I log the data, I have to filter out the CAN message I want to analyze and then use it. It really consuming lot of time.

cristina Villegas

Mar 19, 2013, 5:27:06 AM3/19/13
Hi Reid, it would be great if you could share your scripts
cristina...@gmail.com

Thanks a lot!
Cristina

Reid

Mar 19, 2013, 7:23:06 AM3/19/13
UPDATE
Now works for 32-bit or 64-bit Matlab

Reid

Mar 19, 2013, 7:25:07 AM3/19/13
see my contact details below.

Siddhi Imming

Mar 21, 2013, 10:13:05 AM3/21/13
"Reid " <Reid.S...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <ki9hqq$fgj$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
Hi Reid,

Can you send me the MATLAB scripts that converts Vector CANalyzer (asc or blf) files to MATLAB data structures? Thanks in advance.
sid...@versatel.nl

Rind regards,
Siddhi Imming

Jerry Ryu

Mar 25, 2013, 7:34:11 PM3/25/13
Hi Reid,

Would you kindly share me the script(.blf to .mat).
I'll be really grateful.

Thanks,
Jerry,

Jerry Ryu

Mar 25, 2013, 8:14:20 PM3/25/13
Sorry I forgot addressing. pppd...@gmail.com

Antti

Apr 10, 2013, 3:08:06 AM4/10/13
Hi Reid,

Considering the amount of interest, could you consider sharing your files on the File Exchange so people could just download your files and see if they work for them?

Br,
Antti

Niklas

Jun 18, 2013, 10:11:09 AM6/18/13
"Reid " <Reid.S...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <jj56et$lcq$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
Hi Reid,

I'm in the same situation. Need to convert CANalyzer log files into .mat files. Would you like to share these scripts with me?

Email: niklas.wa...@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

BR

Niklas

Davide

Jun 28, 2013, 3:45:04 AM6/28/13
"Reid " <Reid.S...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <jj56et$lcq$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
Hi Reid,
I work with canalyzer and I have a lot of *.asc data to convert in *.mat format, would you share with me your scripts?
Thank you in advance,

Davide Marsili

Bennett

Oct 22, 2013, 1:58:06 AM10/22/13
Hello Reid,

It would be of great help if you can kindly share me the scripts which you have created for converting .blf file into .mat .
Please mail me as soon as possible :)

Thanks & Regards,
Bennett

Gordon Kennedy

Dec 12, 2013, 4:01:13 AM12/12/13
Please could you send me a copy of your scripts too ?

Thanks in advance,
gordon....@gb.mahle.com

Gordon Kennedy

Dec 12, 2013, 4:20:21 AM12/12/13
Hi Eric,
Please could I have a copy of the blf file format too ?
Thanks in advance,
gordon....@gb.mahle.com

"Eric Kampe" <eric....@vector-cantech.com> wrote in message <eeb6...@WebX.raydaftYaTP>...
> Simon,
> I haven't gotten a chance to work directally with the MDF format as
> of yet, so I cannot verify your breakdown of the log file off hand.
> However, I wouldn't want you to spend all the time necessary to
> decode this file type by hand.
>
> I have a formal description of the MDF file format, and a C library
> with example code that should be what you need to get started reading
> binary log files from CANoe or CANalyzer.
>
> I'll forward these files to your email address, and they are
> available to anyone else reading this thread that may be interested.
>
> I hope this helps.
> As always, questions/comments are welcome.
>
> Eric Kampe
> Vector CANtech
> 248-449-9290
> eric....@vector-cantech.com

pietro

Feb 22, 2014, 9:27:11 AM2/22/14
"Gordon Kennedy" wrote in message <l8bv4l$8e$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
Has anyone got the matlab script from Reid? In case could anyone share it with me, please?
here my email: braca...@email.it

Thanks

Cheers

Sai Sunil

May 2, 2014, 11:41:11 PM5/2/14
Hello Reid,

I was looking for the conversion file too. Could you please share the conversion scripts with me too.
email: saisu...@gmail.com

Many Thanks,
Sai Sunil

Giulio

May 26, 2014, 5:05:08 AM5/26/14
Good afternoon,

I was looking for the conversion scripts, as I have to convert ~400 Mb of log files into .mat files..

Can anyone please send/share the scritpts? It would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Giulio

Schro

Jun 11, 2014, 10:16:13 AM6/11/14
Hi all,

as all the other guys, I'm in a similiar situation and have to convert blf to mat.
Could you please share the script?

Thanks in advance
Phil
sch...@sags-per-mail.de

maximilian...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2014, 6:07:07 AM7/6/14

i have the same Problem, can someone send me the script?

ma...@web.de

Thanks,
Max

sga...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2014, 8:40:08 AM8/19/14
Hello everyone,

I also have the same issue, could someone forward me the scripts? sga...@gmail.com

thank you in advance,

Regards,

Steve

sga...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2014, 8:59:20 AM8/19/14
Hello everyone,

Just re-posting to remove the former emails, could someone also forward me the conversion scripts? sga...@gmail.com

thank you very much in advance,

Steve

Majdi

Nov 13, 2014, 12:16:36 PM11/13/14

could you send me the script for converting .blf files to .files please!
majdi.chourib@delphi or majdi....@gmail.com

Thank you very much!
regards,

Majdi

Sebastian Rebolledo

Feb 11, 2015, 3:29:17 AM2/11/15
Hi!

It would be very appreciated if I could have the conversion scripts.

//Sebastian (rebol...@hotmail.com)

Sebastian Rebolledo

Ilka Bremer

Mar 17, 2015, 11:30:26 AM3/17/15

I am facing the same problems as all of you guys before me. I would kindly ask you all, or you, Reid, to forward the script to me to convert a bunch of files (asc or blf) to .mat.<ilkasem...@gmail.com>

thanks a lot,
regarda,
Ilka

DKalale

Mar 18, 2015, 4:28:32 PM3/18/15
"Ilka Bremer" wrote in message <me9hac$reo$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
Hi,

This would be handy for me as well, could someone forward me the scripts to read a *.blf file?

Email: daniel_kakaleyAtlord.com

Mobashar Ahmad

Apr 20, 2015, 4:10:10 PM4/20/15
"Reid " <Reid.S...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <jj56et$lcq$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> I created a set of matlab scripts that converts Vector CANalyzer (asc or blf) files to Matlab data structures.
>

> Reid Steiger
>
> Ford Research & Advanced Engineering Europe
> Ford Werke GmbH, D-MF/1048, Spessartstrasse, D-50725 Köln, Germany
> E-mail: rste...@ford.com

Hi Reid,

Do you still have these scripts? I would have log files I need to convert and load into matlab.
Message has been deleted

Joao Santos

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49:12 AM7/29/15
Hello guys,

I am looking for the same script. Could anyone share with me please?
i am to convert blf to mdf or mat.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Joao Santos
caes...@gmail.com

Willem

Aug 13, 2015, 1:32:12 PM8/13/15
Hi all,

Can anybody please share the script with me too please?
I'd like to convert .asc files to matlab structures.

Thanks,
Willem
wpet...@impcotechnologies.com

Valery Leontyev

Aug 24, 2015, 9:10:13 AM8/24/15
Hello all.
I'm looking for same script also.
Could anybody help to me, please?
Thanks a lot in advance!

With Best Regards,
Valery
lop...@gmail.com

Georg Koller

Sep 23, 2015, 3:12:09 AM9/23/15
Hello all !
I’m also searching for a script to convert multiple .blf (canalyzer) into .mat .
Can someone send me this script?
Thanks a lot!
Best regards
Georg
Georg....@magna.com

Paul Billemaz

Sep 25, 2015, 10:31:14 AM9/25/15
Hello everyone,

I'm glad to see there is such a helpfull spirit here !

I would like to have this script too, it would really help me a lot.

Here is my mail : paul.b...@gmail.com

Thanks a lot

Karel

Sep 29, 2015, 7:43:11 AM9/29/15
Would it be possible for someone to send the scripts to me too?

karel...@gmail.com

Thanks in advance !

Rodney

Oct 2, 2015, 1:43:10 PM10/2/15
"Reid " <Reid.S...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <jj56et$lcq$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> I created a set of matlab scripts that converts Vector CANalyzer (asc or blf) files to Matlab data structures.
>

> Reid Steiger
>
> Ford Research & Advanced Engineering Europe
> Ford Werke GmbH, D-MF/1048, Spessartstrasse, D-50725 Köln, Germany
> E-mail: rste...@ford.com

Could someone send these scripts to me as well? This would be very helpful.

rroh...@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Rodney

Oct 2, 2015, 1:45:09 PM10/2/15
Could someone share these files with me as well? This would be very helpful.

rroh...@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Maria Klimontowicz

Oct 26, 2015, 4:25:13 PM10/26/15
Hey,
If you could share the scripts with me as well it would be great.

mail: hatsu....@gmail.com

Thank you very much in advance,

"Simon Ryley" <simon...@jatcouk.com> wrote in message <eeb65...@WebX.raydaftYaTP>...
> Hello all,
>

> I use Canalyzer regularly to analyze automotive CAN Networks. To
> display CAN plots more easily or load data into MATLAB/Simulink, I
> frequently convert the CANalyzer log files to mat files using the
> converter built into CANalyzer.
>

> I now find myself with a batch of 40 plus log files to convert from
> log to mat files. Does anyone know the format of log files to allow
> me to write my own batch converter in MATLAB?
>

> The CANalyzer converter is both slow and laborious to set up, and
> does not seem to support batch conversions.
>

> All help appreciated.
>

> Simon

Yang Wang

Jan 22, 2016, 2:27:09 PM1/22/16
Hello all,
would somebody send the script to me as well?

Thank you a lot.
Yang

Walid Lajnef

Mar 11, 2016, 1:16:12 PM3/11/16

Could someone share these files with me as well?
Thank you !!

wla...@msn.com

m sy

Mar 20, 2016, 8:51:09 AM3/20/16
Can you share the script? It will help us a lot!

Thanks!

Hermann Geyer

Mar 21, 2016, 6:41:08 AM3/21/16

Could someone share these files with me as well?
Thank you !!

ge...@mail.hs-ulm.de

Magnus

Mar 30, 2016, 9:22:09 AM3/30/16

I would also be very happy if someone could share this script with me.

mag...@student.chalmers.se

Best Regards
Magnus Lengquist

Tejas Sonavane

Jun 1, 2016, 8:05:12 PM6/1/16
Hi Reid,

Can you please send me the script also.
Email :: rohit....@viamotors.com

Thanks in advance
Rohit Ranjan

r2m...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2016, 8:34:24 PM6/1/16
Hi Magnus,

Did you get the script from Reid. Is it possible to send it to me. That would be very helpful.
Email :: r2m...@gmail.com

Tejas Sonavane

Jun 13, 2016, 7:40:08 PM6/13/16
Hi Reid,

I am getting error in canLoad. The version I am using is CanLoad Version:2013.06.14

Is there a newer version. Please send it to me at rohit....@viamotors.com.

Thanks and Regards
Rohit

Michi Funder

Jun 24, 2016, 4:28:13 AM6/24/16
Can you send me your script and documents, please. pul...@web.de
Kind regards

Michi

Olle Johansson

Aug 16, 2016, 7:48:08 AM8/16/16
Hi Reid,

I would appreciate very much if you can share these scripts.

Thanks in Advance!!

Olle Johansson
Lead Engineer Vehicle Motion Control

"Reid " <Reid.S...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <ki9hqq$fgj$1...@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> UPDATE
> Now works for 32-bit or 64-bit Matlab

Yong Kyun

Sep 19, 2016, 8:25:10 PM9/19/16
Hi Mr. Reid,

I would very much appreciate if you could kindly send me the scripts for the same reason.

My e-mail address is yong...@gmail.com

Thank you!

Sylvain Germaine

Sep 21, 2016, 5:18:13 AM9/21/16
Hi all,

I would very much appreciate if you can also share these scripts with me.
Thanks in Advance!!
Regards

Sylvain
sylvain....@gmail.com

Nunzia Lorusso

Sep 28, 2016, 10:49:09 AM9/28/16
Hi Reid,

I would be really grateful if you could send me the scripts (nunzia.lo...@gmail.com)

Maria Ximena Odio Narvaez

Oct 4, 2016, 5:07:16 AM10/4/16
Hi Reid,

I have a similar problem, and was wondering if you could share your scripts, or let us know where we can download them?

Thank you,

Maria

ole.m.j...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2016, 5:30:51 PM10/10/16
Hi Alle,

I would also be very interested in getting a script that can convert the Vector data (MDF, BLF, dat or ASC) to Mat files. Can anyone share? Would be much appriciated!

BR Ole

Florian Öhlinger

Nov 25, 2016, 4:15:07 AM11/25/16
Hi all,

i would also be pleased if someone can share me the .blf / .asc / .mat conversion Batch files.

Floria...@gmail.com

Thanks Florian.

P.S.: Wouldn't it be better to upload the files directly to the thread? So not all files must be shared by mail? Or is this done like this due to Copyright restrictions?

Manuel

Dec 6, 2016, 5:16:07 AM12/6/16
Hi Reid, hello everybody,

can anyone send me the script? I Need to convert about 400 .blf files to .mat Format.

Please mail to: murstoeger(@)gmail.com

Thanks a lot!

Nitin

Dec 19, 2016, 3:03:08 AM12/19/16
Hello Tejas

Can you kindly email the files to

nswam...@yahoo.co.uk ?

Thanks

Nitin

Tejas Sonavane

May 30, 2017, 6:41:07 PM5/30/17

Tejas Sonavane

Jun 2, 2017, 4:47:08 PM6/2/17

varunp...@gmail.com

May 7, 2020, 1:13:14 AM5/7/20
On Tuesday, 6 March 2012 19:50:13 UTC+5:30, Reid wrote:
> I created a set of matlab scripts that converts Vector CANalyzer (asc or blf) files to Matlab data structures.
>

> Reid Steiger
>
> Ford Research & Advanced Engineering Europe
> Ford Werke GmbH, D-MF/1048, Spessartstrasse, D-50725 Köln, Germany
> E-mail: rste...@ford.com

Hello Mr Reid

Can U Please share the scripts to varunp...@gmail.com

Regards