bibtex support in Mathematica 8

Stephan

Dec 17, 2010, 11:50:57 PM12/17/10
Hi,

has anyone had success with the bibtex support in Mathematica 8? I can't even type in a bibtex file. If I write some text in a text cell and open Insert -> Citation in the menu. The submenu contains only "Bibliographical Note..." but no dialog for a bibtex- or endnote-file or so.

Thanks,

Stephan

Michael Weyrauch

Dec 19, 2010, 5:10:24 AM12/19/10
Make the Cell a text cell first,
THEN the menu item >Insert >Citation > Bibliographical Reference
can be selected and the dialog opens where you can select your
BibTex data base.

Michael

Stephan

Dec 20, 2010, 12:41:19 AM12/20/10
I did use a Text-Cell (Format -> Style -> Text). The Insert->Citation menu does not have a field "Bibliographical Reference. I only see "Bibliographical Note" (active), "Delete Bibliographical Note" (grayed), "Edit Bibliographical Note" (grayed) and "Rebuild Notes" (grayed).

Any help?

Alexei Boulbitch

Dec 21, 2010, 12:17:14 AM12/21/10
Dear Community,

Following the post of Stephan I tried to insert an EndNote citation (EndNote 9, Mathematica 8). It did not work:
Menu/Insert/Citation/Bibliographical Reference opens an empty dialog box, that sees no data base
(that has been open before the above operation).

A bug?

Regards, Alexei

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr. habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 CONTERN
Luxembourg

Tel: +352 2454 2566
Fax: +352 2454 3566
Mobile: +49 (0) 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.b...@iee.lu

www.iee.lu

--

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended

Eric Brown

Dec 21, 2010, 12:19:34 AM12/21/10
Hi Stephan,

It only works on Windows (though not stated in the documentation). I lost a day trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Eric

Michael Weyrauch

Dec 21, 2010, 12:21:11 AM12/21/10
Well, confusing... Do you use Mathematica 8.0 Release version? Or
Prerelease? If I make in a new 8.0 Release Version Notebook a Text Cell
and the >Insert >Citation then the first item in the pop up is
>Bibligraphical Reference
then >Bibliographical Note then (greyed) >Edit bibliographical Note
Then a horizonal line and below the line the items Set/Change citation
style and >Rebuild Bibliography and Notes.

I have no idea why this should be different in your case if you use
8.0 release version "8.0 for Microsoft Windows (32-bit) (November 7, 2010)".

Michael

John Fultz

Dec 21, 2010, 12:22:17 AM12/21/10
Which platform are you on? Right now, BibTeX (and EndNote) support exists only
under Windows. We'd hoped to deliver it at least on Mac for v8 as well, but it
just didn't make it for v8. But you should register your interest with Wolfram
Research Technical Support. A showing of interested people may influence how
quickly we can deliver something on non-Windows platforms.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfu...@wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

Armand Tamzarian

Dec 22, 2010, 2:39:43 AM12/22/10
On Dec 21, 4:22 pm, John Fultz <jfu...@wolfram.com> wrote:
> Which platform are you on? Right now, BibTeX (and EndNote) support exi=
sts only
> under Windows. We'd hoped to deliver it at least on Mac for v8 as well=

, but it
> just didn't make it for v8.

And yet (to the frustration of this user) it is touted as a new
feature in the Mac version:

guide/SummaryOfNewFeaturesIn80
Insert > Citation -- integration with both EndNote and BibTeX citation
styles

And it is fully documented in the Mac version:

tutorial/CitationManagement) (no mention made that it doesn't work on
Macs!)

There was a thread recently about the standard of documentation. We
appreciate the enormity of the task of documenting functions but in
this case Wolfram clearly dropped the ball by including documentation
of functionality that doesn't exist.

(and I note another post where someone wasted a lot of time because of
this inaccurate addition to the documentation)

Could you advise what other Mac documented new features are Windows
only?

thanks

Mike

But you should register your interest with Wolfram

> Research Technical Support. A showing of interested people may influen=

ce how
> quickly we can deliver something on non-Windows platforms.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Fultz
> jfu...@wolfram.com
> User Interface Group
> Wolfram Research, Inc.
>
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 00:41:12 -0500 (EST), Stephan wrote:
> > I did use a Text-Cell (Format -> Style -> Text). The Insert->Citation
> > menu does not have a field "Bibliographical Reference. I only see

> > "Bibliographical Note" (active), "Delete Bibliographical Note" (grayed)=

Andrzej Kozlowski

Dec 23, 2010, 3:50:32 AM12/23/10

On 22 Dec 2010, at 08:36, Armand Tamzarian wrote:

> There was a thread recently about the standard of documentation. We
> appreciate the enormity of the task of documenting functions but in
> this case Wolfram clearly dropped the ball by including documentation
> of functionality that doesn't exist.

Well, given the choice between useful but undocumented features and
fully documented but non-existent features, I have no doubt about my
preference.

Andrzej Kozlowski

Armand Tamzarian

Dec 24, 2010, 4:11:46 AM12/24/10

Why frame it as a question of choice? Shouldn't you be aiming to
eliminate both? Both instances tend to waste users time. ...as we
already saw above from a post by Eric Brown.

Mike

Andrzej Kozlowski

Dec 25, 2010, 2:34:10 AM12/25/10

On 24 Dec 2010, at 10:11, Armand Tamzarian wrote:

> On Dec 23, 7:50 pm, Andrzej Kozlowski <a...@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

>> On 22 Dec 2010, at 08:36, Armand Tamzarian wrote:
>>
>>> There was a thread recently about the standard of documentation. We
>>> appreciate the enormity of the task of documenting functions but in

>>> this case Wolfram clearly dropped the ball by including =

documentation
>>> of functionality that doesn't exist.
>>
>> Well, given the choice between useful but undocumented features and
>> fully documented but non-existent features, I have no doubt about my
>> preference.
>>
>> Andrzej Kozlowski
>

> Why frame it as a question of choice? Shouldn't you be aiming to
> eliminate both? Both instances tend to waste users time. ...as we
> already saw above from a post by Eric Brown.
>
> Mike

Well, I guess this (sort of) proves that these irritating "emoticons" =
are sometimes really needed... Sigh.

Andrzej

=

philip...@googlemail.com

Dec 28, 2010, 8:10:05 AM12/28/10
On 25 Dez., 08:34, Andrzej Kozlowski <a...@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
> On 24 Dec 2010, at 10:11, Armand Tamzarian wrote:

> documentation
>
> >> Well, given the choice between useful but undocumented features and
> >> fully documented but non-existent features, I have no doubt about my
> >> preference.
>
> >> Andrzej Kozlowski
>
> > Why frame it as a question of choice? Shouldn't you be aiming to
> > eliminate both? Both instances tend to waste users time. ...as we
> > already saw above from a post by Eric Brown.
>
> > Mike
>
> Well, I guess this (sort of) proves that these irritating "emoticons" =
> are sometimes really needed... Sigh.
>
> Andrzej

Ok ,that means I will not write my thesis with mathematica - without a
good reference support I can forget it. I cannot tell how disappointed
I am. To tell that there is a new feature and describe this feature in
the documentation is a mere lie if people have to find this signifcant
exclusion in a newsgroup. So please implement that feature presto.