I was not a happy consumer.
I finally tracked down the cause and a solution. I love the package
CleanSlate because it lets me have a clean run of my working notebook
without worrying about previously set values, and it is quicker than
quitting and restarting the kernel. I have the statement
CleanSlate[Verbose->False]; at the start of almost every notebook I
Therein lies the problem. CleanSlate wipes out just about every
context in the $ContextPath, including one called PacletManager`,
which apparently controls the search engine. I have created the
following function to put in a autoloaded package (or init.m)
Now I put SafeCleanSlate; at the top of all my notebooks, and I am
now much happier with the new help system, although I do still miss
the old one...
It reminds me of what Brian Hook said (I think it was him, anyway):
What you really wanted, instead of a new girlfriend, was your old
girlfriend with a new dress and a makeover.
Maybe it is worth to mention "WebServices`" which is another Context
that is on $ContextPath by default in version 6. You might have similar
problems with any kind of web service if you don't also except
"WebServices`" from CleanSlate...