colon vs semicolon in loops

jfh

Jun 17, 2018, 9:36:54 PM6/17/18
How does one get Maple to display some but not all of the results in a loop? The Maple output below displays everything done in a loop ending "end if;" and nothing done in a loop ending "end if:" but one of the two commands inside each loop ends with ":" and the other with ";". I know the output is what my program asked for but it's not what I had hoped for.

|\^/| Maple 2017 (X86 64 LINUX)
._|\| |/|_. Copyright (c) Maplesoft, a division of Waterloo Maple Inc. 2017
\ MAPLE / All rights reserved. Maple is a trademark of
<____ ____> Waterloo Maple Inc.
| Type ? for help.
# test : vs ; in loops

> for n from 1 to 2 do
> n:
> n^2;
> end do:
>
> for n from 1 to 2 do
> n:
> n^3;
> end do;
1

1

2

8

Nasser M. Abbasi

Jun 18, 2018, 7:55:31 AM6/18/18
as far as I know, it is not possible to do what you want.

I'd use a ":" for the "end do:" and then use ":" inside
the loop for the ones you do not want echoed to screen,
and for the ones you want to see, use an explicit print() on them.

for n from 1 to 2 do
n:
print(n^3);
od:

1
8

--Nasser

jfh

Jun 18, 2018, 7:27:25 PM6/18/18
Thank you. I need only add that even saying "print(n^3):" to end the command with a colon would still get the value of n^3 printed. Replacing print with lprint, or printf with a suitable format, would also overrule the colon.