Cantata & Linux with segmentation fault

Ralf Biedermann

Dec 19, 1994, 11:59:30 AM12/19/94
Hello out there,
I just tried to install Khoros 2.01 under Linux 1.1.52 and compilation had no errors but
when I try to run CANTATA I receive e segmentation fault. How do I get the fault ?
1. I start Cantata under X11R5 and receive the following warning:
Toolbox: design
Program: cantata
routine: xvwidgets
X Toolkit Warning : Representation size 4 must match superclass愀 to override menu

2. I klick OK in the Warning-box and after 1 or two seconds cantata is stopped with a
segmentation fault.

Any clues ? I installed design without any special options just like the installationprogram
wants it to install.

I also got this message with the 10oct-pack but because a new release was announced
I waited a little while.

I hope somebody can help me.

regards Ralf

----- Die luecke die ich hinterlasse ersetzt mich vollstaendig -----
--- greetings from ralf biedermann == r...@rbsoft.bias.uni-bremen.de ---

Holger Linne

Dec 19, 1994, 10:54:13 AM12/19/94
In article <3d471l$g...@gina.zfn.uni-bremen.de>, r...@rbsoft.bias.uni-bremen.de (Ralf Biedermann) writes:
|> Hello out there,
|> I just tried to install Khoros 2.01 under Linux 1.1.52 and compilation had no errors but
|> when I try to run CANTATA I receive e segmentation fault. How do I get the fault ?
|> 1. I start Cantata under X11R5 and receive the following warning:
|> Toolbox: design
|> Program: cantata
|> routine: xvwidgets
|> X Toolkit Warning : Representation size 4 must match superclass愀 to override menu
|>
|> 2. I klick OK in the Warning-box and after 1 or two seconds cantata is stopped with a
|> segmentation fault.
|>
|> Any clues ? I installed design without any special options just like the installationprogram
|> wants it to install.
|>
|> I also got this message with the 10oct-pack but because a new release was announced
|> I waited a little while.
|>
|> I hope somebody can help me.

I am shure you have linked with Xaw3d !! I dont know the reason - but
khoros doesnt run with this library. Relink with Xaw and everything works well

|> regards Ralf
|>

|> ----- Die luecke die ich hinterlasse ersetzt mich vollstaendig -----
|> --- greetings from ralf biedermann == r...@rbsoft.bias.uni-bremen.de ---

Have fun with Khoros (and Linux :)))

H. Linne (H.L...@lidar.dkrz.de)

Mark Young

Dec 20, 1994, 9:44:03 PM12/20/94
Hi Holger,

Thanks for answering this.

On Dec 19, 3:54pm, Holger Linne wrote:
} From root Mon Dec 19 21:37:23 1994
} Subject: Re: Cantata & Linux with segmentation fault

}
} I am shure you have linked with Xaw3d !! I dont know the reason - but
} khoros doesnt run with this library. Relink with Xaw and everything works well

It maybe because of the way we do our widget abstraction layer. In
order to get things to work, we have a bug fixed version of the
SimpleMenu Athena object. We renamed this class to have an xvw prefix
(in order to avoid "multiple defines" during linkage). Also, the
superclass for this class uses the OverrideShellClass. So i can't
imagine the problem occuring from this widget class. On another note,
we are using the EzMEClass, MultiListClass, and ScrolledListClass from
the free widget foundation. These classes *do* subclass off the
following Athena Classes:

SmeBSBClass SimpleClass

If memory serves, doesn't the Xaw3d introduce a *new* 3d border class
into the class heirarchy? If so this may explain that the Xfwf widgets
that we are may not be properly subclassed. I doubt that the
SimpleClass would have a 3d border, but i wonder is it possible that
for the SmeBSBClass (the class that supports buttons on pulldowns) has
the introduction of this 3d class? If so, this might explain some of
the problems...

}
} |> regards Ralf
} |>
} - -------------------------------------------------------------------

} Have fun with Khoros (and Linux :)))
}
} H. Linne (H.L...@lidar.dkrz.de)
}

}-- End of excerpt from Holger Linne

I would like to ask a general question about whether people would use
Khoros with the Xaw3d widget set? If there is sufficient interest we
could look into what it would take to support this...

thanks in advance,
Mark

Mark Young yo...@khoros.unm.edu |/ ) |
The Khoros Group (505) 837-6500 ext 484 |\ \ |
Khoral Research, Inc Albuquerque, NM 87110