Extraterrestrial Minds - What is out there?

Simon Laub

Aug 27, 2011, 6:38:02 PM8/27/11
Been wondering what is out there?
And have been googling for a complete list of all what might be out there?

Well, not completely satisfied with the search results, I have compiled
my own list - which you can see here:
http://www.simonlaub.net/FutureMinds/MindDesign/ET/EtMinds.html

It is an attempt to list some of the different kinds of intelligences that
might lurk out there in deep space and beyond.

Note, according to biologist Richard Dawkins, we humans live in the ''middle
world''.
We are not small like atoms, and we are not big like galaxies. We are in the
''middle''. And obviously, our brains were designed to live in ''middle
world'', and to understand ''middle world''. Our brains were not designed to
understand the world of the very small or of the very large.
This may very well cause us to miss a lot of minds out there.

It doesn't stop people from looking though. Think Drake, Kepler Mission etc.

But what kinds of civilisations are we going to deal with? What
can we talk about? The Omega number?

Are we going to meet Von Neumann robots, or hook up to the galactic
internet?
Will intelligent machines help us in the search, or kill us?

Will Boltzmann Brains,Matrioshka Minds or Neutron Star Computers be able
to tell us something we don't know?

Should we make our own baby universe for experiments, or is this impossible
if
we are really living in a Nick Bostroem simulation?

And what about these quantum computers, quantum gravity computers and
11 dimensional branes? Will they help us find the aliens?

Please don't hesitate to write me, if you think something is missing ....
:-)

FUT: rec.arts.sf.written

-Simon

Simon Laub
http://www.simonlaub.net/FutureMinds/MindDesign/index.html

SolomonW

Aug 29, 2011, 6:47:48 AM8/29/11
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 00:38:02 +0200, Simon Laub wrote:

> From: Simon Laub <Simon...@FILTER.mail.tele.dk>
> Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.science,comp.society.futures
> Subject: Extraterrestrial Minds - What is out there?
> Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 00:38:02 +0200

After reading the book The Anthropic Cosmological Principle by John D.
Barrow and Frank J. Tipler. Although I do not accept much of it, I do think
that their argument that we are probability the only intelligent species is
very strong.