Man who lost bionic arm waits to be rebuilt

已查看 6 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Neuronaut

未读,
2003年10月28日 01:53:162003/10/28
收件人
http://www.news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1180622003

Only if this technology was available for the consumer for personal
modifications.
-----------------------------
Man who lost bionic arm waits to be rebuilt

TOM CURTIS HEALTH CORRESPONDENT

THEY can rebuild him... but not quite yet. The Scot whose life was
transformed when he was given the world’s first ‘bionic’ arm has had
to give it back to its inventors, who have stored the revolutionary
limb away in a box, calling it nothing more than a "museum piece".

As a result Campbell Aird has been forced to give up his new hobby of
flying because of the loss of the £100,000 artificial arm, which is
operated by nerve impulses.

There has also been a delay moving the unit which developed the
technology he was using into a new home.

But Aird, who lost his right arm to cancer, is stoical about the
hitch, which means he is currently reliant on a much less advanced
artificial limb, and looking forward to being involved in tests on a
new version of the bionic arm when it is ready early next year. Aird,
52, had the Edinburgh Modular Arm System (EMAS) for a year after he
was chosen to test it because his entire arm is missing from the
shoulder.

But patient trials are over, and as a result Aird is without the
£100,000 prototype he had become accustomed to using. His life is
radically different now, mainly because the bionic arm allowed
co-ordinated movement in the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.

He said: "It gave me a whole new horizon above my head because it can
flex at the shoulder. I could lift things off a shelf which needed two
hands, and screw in a lightbulb. I could also pick up a nail, get it
up on the wall and hammer it in.

"I can’t fly any more because I need the arm to control the propeller.
I thoroughly enjoyed the flying lessons I had and it would have been
nice to be able to take a plane up from time to time."

Aird, a former hotelier from Moffat, in Dumfries and Galloway, added:
"The EMAS arm was more convenient for driving, and for my hobby of
clay pigeon shooting: I had something to rest the gun on."

However, Aird said he was content to wait until a newer version of the
bionic arm was ready for tests, which is expected early next year.

"I was never promised the arm," he said. "I was the pioneer and I had
it for a time, but the test pilot for Concorde didn’t end up with a
Concorde. That’s fine by me."

He had also experienced problems with the EMAS arm, he said. "I was at
the Gyle shopping centre in Edinburgh and put both my arms up to reach
something, but the EMAS arm got stuck in the ‘up’ position."

On another occasion, the arm failed to take the weight of a tray Aird
was carrying in his hotel, the Moffat House. He said the teething
troubles needed to be ironed out, and added that his current
artificial limb was in fact superior for some tasks.

"We’re extending a house in Wales and I can use it to carry seven
eight-foot long lengths of wood without dropping them," he said. "I
need that reliability."

The bionic arm is being refined by Touch EMAS, a company set up as a
spin-off from the NHS unit at the Princess Margaret Rose hospital in
Edinburgh, which came up with the original technology.

David Gow, an NHS bio-engineering expert, is managing director. He
said: "From Campbell’s perspective we are not at a stage where there
is anything which can go into patient trials. But when there is a new
set of prototypes we’ll need a whole set of volunteers to help us test
them.

"Campbell’s old arm is in a box in my library. It’s about as far away
from being a commercial product as you could imagine.

"The new one will be more streamlined. We’re also reviewing the
materials and hope it will be lighter, as well as simpler to
assemble." He said he hoped Aird would be involved in testing a new
prototype next year.

Gow’s unit is temporarily housed at Edinburgh’s Eastern General
Hospital after the closure of the Princess Margaret Rose.

It had been hoped it could by now be in a new unit at the city’s
Astley Ainslie hospital. But that has been delayed, amid claims it is
a victim of Lothian’s need to spend a disproportionate amount of NHS
money on the £180m Edinburgh Royal Infirmary at Little France.

Gow said: "We had a number of planning delays but that process has
been kick-started again and we’re at the stage of it being
rubber-stamped so a start can be made in February or March."

Gow said development of the arm, much of which has been subcontracted
to a firm in England, had not been affected by the hold-up. No one
from Lothian Primary Care NHS Trust, which runs the Astley Ainslie,
was available for comment.

THEY HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY...

HUGE advances in technology are making the fiction of the Bionic Man a
reality.

Campbell Aird’s EMAS arm is able to sense tiny electrical currents
from his shoulder muscles, which microchips can then translate into
specific movements of its joints.

However, he said the limb should technically be called "myonic", from
the Latin word for muscle, because it does not rely on signals direct
from the brain. Limbs which do respond to thoughts are soon to become
reality, however.

Scientists at Duke University in North Carolina, USA, said this month
that brain implants that could allow severely disabled people to
control prosthetic limbs with their minds could be ready for use
within two years.

Tests with monkeys who had electrodes implanted in their brains showed
the animals could control a robotic arm using thoughts.

Last year, British professor Kevin Warwick became a ‘cyborg’ for three
months when he implanted a microchip in his arm which allowed him to
feel his way around using sonar.

---
http://68.115.19.241:1723/neuronaut/
"What generation are you?"
"Nexus-6"

irshad.seo...@gmail.com

未读,
2012年12月13日 08:51:212012/12/13
收件人
I am M. Irshad from Karachi, Pakistan-I am amputee of leg below knee.
I need a Hydraulic/Robotic Leg because my stump are not in good shape.
can anybody help me in this matter?
0 个新帖子