How did m4 get its name?

1 view

Phil Edwards

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
I've been using m4 for years, sometimes directly. I've always wondered
how it got its name, but have never been able to find an answer. Anyone?

Luck++;

=> If you post a followup, PLEASE don't email a copy to me. I read news
often enough that replying to things twice is annoying. But thanks.

Eric Fischer

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
Phil Edwards <pedw...@dma.org> wrote:

> I've been using m4 for years, sometimes directly. I've always wondered
> how it got its name, but have never been able to find an answer. Anyone?

I don't know the answer either, but I can tell you that its
predecessor, which appeared in the second through sixth editions
of Unix, was called m6.

eric