Revisiting the question of "Whats the '@' called".

瀏覽次數:2 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Rich Greenberg

未讀,
1999年4月5日 凌晨3:00:001999/4/5
收件者:
Many times in various groups the question of "Whats the .. character
called?" has popped up. When it recently came up in a mainframe
software list I contributed:

> The cutest one is the @ which in Scandanavia is known as a word that
> translates to cinnamon bun.

I was depending on stale memory here. Then an IBM friend asked me:

} Hi Rich, I passed this alternate character discussion on to a friend
} who works in IBM's web software group. She was very interested if you
} know which of the Scandanavian languages calls @ a cinnamon bun and if
} you knew what that word actually was? She'd like to use this story as
} an example in a presentation she's going to give.

and I don't know the answer.

Can anybody help here?
--
Rich Greenberg Work: PM0RMG atsign WSPVM1.worldspan.com +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA Play: richgr atsign netcom.com +1 770-321-6507

tor...@sn.no

未讀,
1999年4月8日 凌晨3:00:001999/4/8
收件者:
ric...@netcom.com (Rich Greenberg) wrote:

>Many times in various groups the question of "Whats the .. character
>called?" has popped up. When it recently came up in a mainframe
>software list I contributed:
>
>> The cutest one is the @ which in Scandanavia is known as a word that
>> translates to cinnamon bun.
>
>I was depending on stale memory here. Then an IBM friend asked me:
>
>} Hi Rich, I passed this alternate character discussion on to a friend
>} who works in IBM's web software group. She was very interested if you
>} know which of the Scandanavian languages calls @ a cinnamon bun and if
>} you knew what that word actually was? She'd like to use this story as
>} an example in a presentation she's going to give.
>
>and I don't know the answer.
>
>Can anybody help here?

In norwegian we affectionally use the name 'kanelbolle'.

Kanel = cinnamon
Bolle = bun, sweet roll.

It is also called hundebærsj, not so cute as it means dog turd...

The official name seems to be krøllalfa, 'curly alpha'.

Tor.

Par Leijonhufvud labtek

未讀,
1999年4月8日 凌晨3:00:001999/4/8
收件者:
On 5 Apr 1999, Rich Greenberg wrote:

> } Hi Rich, I passed this alternate character discussion on to a friend
> } who works in IBM's web software group. She was very interested if you
> } know which of the Scandanavian languages calls @ a cinnamon bun and if
> } you knew what that word actually was? She'd like to use this story as
> } an example in a presentation she's going to give.
>
> and I don't know the answer.
>
> Can anybody help here?

Swedish. Main usage is among "casual email users", at least in my
experience.

/Par

--
Par Leijonhufvud par.leij...@labtek.ki.se
Mind Like A Steel Trap - Rusty And Illegal In 37 States

Erik Trulsson

未讀,
1999年4月9日 凌晨3:00:001999/4/9
收件者:
In comp.society.folklore tor...@sn.no wrote:
> ric...@netcom.com (Rich Greenberg) wrote:

>>Many times in various groups the question of "Whats the .. character
>>called?" has popped up. When it recently came up in a mainframe
>>software list I contributed:
>>
>>> The cutest one is the @ which in Scandanavia is known as a word that
>>> translates to cinnamon bun.
>>
>>I was depending on stale memory here. Then an IBM friend asked me:
>>

>>} Hi Rich, I passed this alternate character discussion on to a friend
>>} who works in IBM's web software group. She was very interested if you
>>} know which of the Scandanavian languages calls @ a cinnamon bun and if
>>} you knew what that word actually was? She'd like to use this story as
>>} an example in a presentation she's going to give.
>>
>>and I don't know the answer.
>>
>>Can anybody help here?

> In norwegian we affectionally use the name 'kanelbolle'.

> Kanel = cinnamon
> Bolle = bun, sweet roll.

And in Swedish it is sometimes kalled "kanelbulle"
although the most common name for it seems to be
"snabel-a"

snabel = trunk (such as an elephant has)
a = well, the letter 'a' simply

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson

Xslf

未讀,
1999年4月10日 凌晨3:00:001999/4/10
收件者:
In Israel @ is called Shetrudel, which indeed is a kind of a cinnamon bon :)

--
Xslf
Digital art & BPD --> http://www.xslf.com

Jim Lucke

未讀,
1999年4月11日 凌晨3:00:001999/4/11
收件者:
On 5 Apr 1999 15:07:13 -0700, ric...@netcom.com (Rich Greenberg)
wrote:

>> She was very interested if you
>} know which of the Scandanavian languages calls @ a cinnamon bun and if
>} you knew what that word actually was?

I've never heard it called cinnamon bun in Finland. Here it's called a
cat's tail or "miumau" (cat sound).

Jim Lucke (Texan living in Finland)

(remove one "w" from email address)

Andras Erdei

未讀,
1999年4月16日 凌晨3:00:001999/4/16
收件者:

>>} Hi Rich, I passed this alternate character discussion on to a friend
>>} who works in IBM's web software group. She was very interested if you

>>} know which of the Scandanavian languages calls @ a cinnamon bun and if
>>} you knew what that word actually was? She'd like to use this story as
>>} an example in a presentation she's going to give.

In Hungary it is called "shift-kukac" meaning " shift-worm.

0 則新訊息