WTB: (or Trade) Large-Digit Nixie Tubes & Sockets

A.J. Franzman

Oct 1, 2000, 10:59:25 PM10/1/00
Wanted, to Buy or Trade:

(Sorry if this isn't quite on-topic. There don't seem to be any newsgroups
exactly fitting this subject.)

Large-digit "Nixie" type neon numeric digital display tubes, especially those
with digits over 1 inch (25mm) tall. Also, sockets for same.

Most wanted: Burroughs type B-7031 or B-7032 "Jumbo" size - 2 inch (50mm) tall
digits in a tube 5.5 inches (140mm) tall by 2.25 inches (57mm) diameter at the
base. And the large 14-pin sockets which fit them, type SK-117 or equivalent,
having a pin circle diameter of 1.75 inches (45mm).

Actually, I have 5 of the very rare B-7032's, which are the inverted display
configuration variation of the B-7031 (pins on top pointing UP when digits are
upright). Mine are slightly to moderately darkened; however, due to anode
location in these tubes, the darkening is mainly on the sides of the glass and
does not significantly affect digit appearance when viewed from the front. All
have been tested and function perfectly when driven in the 10-16mA range per
preliminary B-7031 data which can be seen here:
http://www.wps.com/archives/tube-datasheets/Datasheets/Burroughs-catalog-9
18A/index.html Will consider trading my B-7032's if I can get more and/or
better condition B-7031's in the deal.

I also have available to trade, "Super" size Nixies of types B-6091 / NL-8423
(a.k.a. NL-5423, and interchangable with earlier types B-7153, B-6033, and
BD-206). These have digits .808 inch (20mm) tall, in end-viewed configuration.
In addition, I have Philips (Mullard) type ZM1040 which have digits 30mm (1.18
inches) tall and a red filter coating on the glass. I have sockets which fit
both of these tube types, equivalent to HSK-112, HSK-106, B13B, and VH13/131.

Does anyone in southern California happen to have any of the HUMONGOUS Nixies
with ***6 INCH TALL DIGITS***, type CD47/GR414 Rodan Indicator Tube by Okaya
Electric Industries Co. Ltd. of Japan? Picture here:
http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~wwl/count.html Even if you're not willing to part
with one, I'd love to just see one in operation. I can even build and bring a
breadboard driver circuit if you don't have one.

Replies by email please. See below for a clue to repair my email address.

Alan "A.J." Franzman

My real e-mail address does not compute.