Dating the birth of the Internet

Paul B. Saitta

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
As the 30th anniversary of the internet is coming up, I thought I'd
try and figure out exactly when the internet was "born". The date I've
decided to work from is the day that Len Kleinrock plugged the first IMP
into the Sigma 7 mainframe, although one could also argue for the day
that 'login' was sent from UCLA to Stanford. Getting exact dates for
either of these events has proven to be a little difficult. The closes
I've been able to get is that the first IMP was activated either on
Labor Day, 1969 (September 1st, as near as I can tell), or either one or
two days later (the 2nd or 3rd). All that I can find for the date that
the first packets were sent from UCLA to Stanford is that it happened "a
month later", which doesn't really tell me all that much as far as a day
is concerned.

I've gotten this far from ISOC's history of the internet page,
especially Vint Cerf's "Brief history of the internet" and from Len
Kleinrock's page at UCLA. Any further elucidation would be greatly
welcomed, as parties don't plan themselves.

/P.
--
This is a test of the emergency context generation system. Had this
been an actual emergency, you would have been experiencing actual context.