Netcat Problems

Devon Reed

Apr 26, 2004, 2:53:47 PM4/26/04
Whenever I try to connect to my web server using the following
command:

nc -v XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 80

I get the following result:

nc: forward host lookup failed: h_errno 11001: HOST_NOT_FOUND

I don't get it. Is netcat trying to lookup an IP address when I've
already supplied one? Also, very very infrequently, the connection
succeeds, so I know that my syntax is correct, but 99% of the time
this is the error message I get. This seems to be the simplest of
netcat commands, and I can't get off of the ground even with this.
Help!

Devon

Bodo Eggert

Apr 26, 2004, 6:14:42 PM4/26/04
Devon Reed <de...@jiffysquid.com> wrote:

> nc -v XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 80

> nc: forward host lookup failed: h_errno 11001: HOST_NOT_FOUND

Use telnet (without -v) for testing, since netcat has bad error reporting.
--
Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
0. I just made an extra 2 meg of space in /, I stripped /vmunix.

Devon Reed

Apr 27, 2004, 1:46:41 AM4/27/04
Bodo Eggert <7eg...@fsmtpd.7eggert.dyndns.org> wrote in message news:<0n1k6c...@msgid.7eggert.dyndns.org>...

> Devon Reed <de...@jiffysquid.com> wrote:
>
> > nc -v XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 80
>
> > nc: forward host lookup failed: h_errno 11001: HOST_NOT_FOUND
>
> Use telnet (without -v) for testing, since netcat has bad error reporting.

I did this. Telnet works while netcat does not. Any thoughts?

Mike

Apr 27, 2004, 3:16:07 AM4/27/04
de...@jiffysquid.com (Devon Reed) wrote in

> I did this. Telnet works while netcat does not. Any thoughts?

Netcat will try to resolve an address anyway, except if you use the
modifier -n, RTFM or nc -h ;-)
A lot of tools have the same behaviour.
Cheers,

--
Nekromancer
PUF (FAQ) del grupo:

"El nivel de conocimientos adquiridos es
inversamente proporcional a la temperatura del cafe"

adam5...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2017, 6:26:26 AM4/8/17
Use ssh or teamviewer trusted secure remote connections ... telnet is unsecure and netcat is a virus to a majority of antiviruses for good reason, unsecure malicious flagged code, that any black hack can force his way into just my entering cryptcat 192.168.random let's try some ports bam....