putty fails with "server's host key did not match the signature supplied"

cp

Jan 30, 2005, 11:36:52 PM1/30/05
Hello. Is anyone else seeing this problem with putty? Any site to
which I try to connect gives this error. This only happens on my brand
new dell 5160 laptop with XP home SP2 and latest updates. Older PCs,
with same putty, same settings, connecting to same servers, don't have
this problem. Any chance that newer DLLs on my new laptop could cause
this?? Very strange.

I've seen this on older versions of putty too, but I'm currently
running development snapshot 2005-01-31:r5331.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

CP

Chuck

Jan 31, 2005, 1:10:58 PM1/31/05

Did you copy the putty registry entries to your new PC? I believe that's
where putty stores host keys. In particular look for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\SshHostKeys

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Ben Harris

Jan 31, 2005, 2:04:08 PM1/31/05
In article <1107146212.0...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

cp <c...@cjparker.us> wrote:
>Hello. Is anyone else seeing this problem with putty? Any site to
>which I try to connect gives this error. This only happens on my brand
>new dell 5160 laptop with XP home SP2 and latest updates. Older PCs,
>with same putty, same settings, connecting to same servers, don't have
>this problem. Any chance that newer DLLs on my new laptop could cause
>this?? Very strange.

Strange indeed. That indicates that the data PuTTY got from the server to
prove its identity turned out to be inconsistent, which means that either
the server's generating bogus signatures, PuTTY's making a mistake when
validating them, or something's corrupting them in transit. Given that
you're getting good results on other machines, I suspect that the server's
OK. If you could post (or send to <pu...@projects.tartarus.org>) an SSH
packet log of a failing session, it ought to be possible for us to work out
whether the signature really was invalid.

--
Ben Harris