line wrap when signing messages with PGP

Average Joe

Oct 15, 2002, 3:00:04 AM10/15/02

Ralph Fox

Oct 15, 2002, 5:57:38 AM10/15/02
[cross-post trimmed]
[followup set]

In article <omenquka2e4it76ru...@4ax.com>,

on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:00:04 -0400, Average Joe wrote:

> I have my newsreader (Agent 1.92) set up to wrap lines at 70
> characters. I have PGP (5.5.3a) set up to wrap lines at 70 characters
> (PGP Tray|PGP Preferences|Email) When I sign these messages they wrap
> at less than 70 characters. It disturbs the 70 character message,
> especially noticeable in quoted portions. Any ideas on how to resolve
> this? Anyone else run into this?

Google your way to

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=PGP%20wrap&as_ugroup=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

Check out the thread dated around 11 Apr 2002. Your answer is in there.

> Newsgroups: comp.security.pgp,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.security.pgp,alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent,alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified

PS: I never cross-post replies to 5 groups.
Some other people will ignore or killfilter messages posted to
this many groups.

Cheers,
Ralph
--
Please reply to the newsgroup. That is why it exists.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#BEFORE

Frank J. Perricone

Oct 15, 2002, 6:20:38 AM10/15/02

--
"It is more uplifting to find the beauty, wonder, spirituality, and
reverence in what we can see, than to imagine they only exist in what we

Average Joe

Oct 15, 2002, 4:50:24 PM10/15/02

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:20:38 GMT, Frank J. Perricone

Frank J. Perricone

Oct 15, 2002, 6:16:40 PM10/15/02

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:50:24 -0400, Average Joe <avera...@mysolution.ws>
wrote:

> as I look into this more it looks like Agent isn't wrapping at 70, if

> I paste an unsigned Agent message into textpad, quoted portions are
> wrapped at greater than 70, they have line lengths greater than 70,

That's correct; Agent does not *re*-wrap already wrapped, quoted text; this
isn't a bug, at most it's a lack of feature, and I doubt it's going to be
addressed any time soon, as there are far more important things on the
to-do list. However, current versions of PGP *will* re-wrap the text, so
if you update your PGP software and then use the settings I suggested,
it'll work fine.

Version: PGP 7.0.4
Comment: Public key at http://hawthorn.mystarband.net/f-pgp.txt

iQA/AwUBPayUQqbqL6lCLyfTEQJgWQCgtsxt369B/taZfZZtmhpvsxMDrWAAmQGA
cWkqQVFvrgpGAiFqt1w2h7VT
=D1SN

Average Joe

Oct 15, 2002, 9:14:04 PM10/15/02

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:16:40 GMT, Frank J. Perricone

Average Joe

Oct 16, 2002, 12:42:52 AM10/16/02

Johan Wevers

Oct 16, 2002, 2:38:26 AM10/16/02
Average Joe wrote:

> as I look into this more it looks like Agent isn't wrapping at 70,

Just use the "enter" key instead of relying on wrapping mail editors
who always seem to garble the message.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
joh...@iae.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

Frank J. Perricone

Oct 16, 2002, 6:36:52 AM10/16/02

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:14:04 -0400, Average Joe <avera...@mysolution.ws>
wrote:

> I'm getting re-wrap Frank, that's what I want to avoid,

Ah, well, if that's what you want, then I guess you can't do it. I can't
see any reason to want to avoid it, though. PGP's rewrapping of quoted
material is pretty near perfect, the result always looks like real
paragraphs; you never get lines with two words on them alternating with
full lines, or bits of quoting separated from their quote characters.
That's what matters to me, not the precise location of the carriage
returns. Perhaps the quoted material you're quoting is often charts or
tables, or something, in which case, I don't see how *any* software could
really do what you want. Or perhaps you're just going to keep changing
what you say you want to make sure you can't get it. Either way, I can't
help you.

>> This is a dummy long quote that I have used as an example. See that the rewrap is
>> still is logical see how the line was orinally typed below the clear sig.

As you can see PGPckt wrapped the first line into the second line and
created a third line with the overflowed text. PGPckt also seems to handle
the soft returns that are in the Agent editor and returns with hard
returns.

Good luck.
--
Liberty ...