PGP, Eudora 5.1 and quoting in replies

R. Dale Shipp

May 20, 2002, 3:01:34 AM5/20/02
I am trying to get all of the kinks out of upgrading from version 3.05 to
version 5.1.

The one I am working on now is a difference in the way that PGP decrypts
seem to be handled, and how it has an effect on replying to such
messages.

The default quoting style in 5.1 is putting a bar on the left hand
side -- something I find abhorent. Thanks to someone else, I was able to
cure that behavior for most messages and now version 5.1 uses the more
normal style of quoting with ">" signs.

However, when replying to a message with styled text, it still uses the
bar on the left side for me.

It also seems that PGP decrypts are stored as styled text, although I
cannot see why this should be true -- nor any setting that clearly
effects this. That means that when I attempt to reply to a message that
was originally encrypted via PGP, I get the abhorent left hand bar of
styled text.

Does anyone know how to either
a. make even styled text use > signs in quoting -- or --
b. make PGP decrypts be normal text and not styled text -- or --
c. how to change a styled text message into a normal message without
styled text?

Once I got any of these things, I would be a happy camper. (well
almost -- the only other thing would be to figure out how to make
PGP/MIME work the way it did in 3.05 -- encrypt only when the message
leaves, not when it is queued.).

--
R. Dale Shipp
da...@min.net

Julian Y. Koh

May 20, 2002, 9:07:13 AM5/20/02

--
Julian Y. Koh <mailto:koh...@northwestern.edu>
Network Engineer <phone:847-467-5780>

R. Dale Shipp

May 20, 2002, 1:04:52 PM5/20/02
In article <kohster-2005...@quicksilver.nsg.northwestern.edu>,
koh...@northwestern.edu says...

> In article <MPG.175268a8f...@news.min.net>, R. Dale Shipp
> <da...@min.net> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to either
> >a. make even styled text use > signs in quoting -- or --
> >b. make PGP decrypts be normal text and not styled text -- or --
>
> It doesn't look like you're using a Mac, but in Mac Eudora this is easy to do,
> since you can set things up so that all quoted text in replies is converted to
> plain text.

Correct, I am using Windows ME.

> >c. how to change a styled text message into a normal message without
> > styled text?
>
> In Mac Eudora, this can be done by selecting the text you want to convert and
> pressing cmd-option-t.

I hope that someone using windows can point me to the equivalent
command! I had thought that cutting the text with CTRL-X and pasting
with SHIFT-CTRL-V might remove the formatting / styled markings, but it
did not.

> I've got a list of other PGP/Eudora issues at
> <http://charlotte.at.northwestern.edu/julian/pgpeudora/>.

I read that, good page --- just wish there was equivalent for Windows
version :-}}

R. Dale Shipp

May 22, 2002, 1:54:55 AM5/22/02
In article <aj0jeu8kcrroto0q0...@4ax.com>,
adam....@pobox.com says...

> In <MPG.1752f60c7...@news.min.net>, R. Dale Shipp wrote:
>
> > I hope that someone using windows can point me to the equivalent
> > command!
>
> Select the text and use either Text | Clear Formatting or the tool bar
> button. The button is second from the right in a viewing window (not the
> preview pane); you must first click on the edit pencil to bring up the
> tool bar.

It would seem that should work, but it does not for me. What happens
when Clear Formatting is applied to a decrypted PGP message, the text is
then displayed along with all of the HTML codes. A partial snippet from
a message where I used "clear formatting" is below to show what I mean:

<BR></SPAN><SPAN class=EUDORAHEADER>Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 14:52:57 -0500

<BR></SPAN><SPAN class=EUDORAHEADER>To: da...@min.net <BR></SPAN><SPAN
class=EUDORAHEADER>