PKI example - point me in the right direction

Use-Author-Suppli...@127.1

Apr 12, 2014, 9:45:56 PM4/12/14

David E. Ross

Apr 13, 2014, 1:50:21 AM4/13/14
On 4/12/2014 6:45 PM, Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1] wrote:

> I'm giving a talk that has a section on PKI -- what it is, a bit on
> how it works, how strong it is, and why everybody should be using
> it every day. One of the things I want to do is a little simple
> demonstration of how the math works. I know it relies on operators
> that can't be done backwards but those are complex operators.
> However, other than using the modulus operator as an example of non-
> reversible math and then saying "it's a little more drawn-out than
> that" I'd like to generate a pair of keys and encrypt simple text
> (cf. http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/AUnixSec/PublicKeyDemo.htm)
> even if its not with a good implementation of PKI.
>
> The problme is that everywhere I go I keep running into advanced
> math like Euler's totient and the psi function; and thats where the
> math get's WAY above the level of my audience. I want to go a
> little past the Alice and Bob conversation and actualy show how two
> prime factors are related without needing a degree to discuss it
> let alone get the gist of it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,

See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/index.html> and the links to my
subsidiary Web pages. You might also look at the external Web pages
that I cite.

Note that my Web pages are copyrighted. Please give proper attribution
to my work in your talk and do not publish -- electronically or
hard-copy -- without checking back with me beforehand.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.

Use-Author-Suppli...@127.1

Apr 13, 2014, 9:47:44 PM4/13/14