PGP 10 Windows Issue

no...@nope.com

Nov 12, 2010, 12:56:30 PM11/12/10
OK. In a nutshell.

Created a couple dynamic volumes for Work files/Personal files with
PGP Desktop Home 10.0.0.2. Got a bad bug and had to clean install OS.
(Win7 Pro 64-bit).

Reinstalled PGP. Now the two dynamic volumes (*.pgd) throw error
message:

"The passphrase you entered is not a valid passphrase for this PGP
disk. (Note that there were one or more users with public keys that
could not be checked, possibly because these private keys are not on
the default keyring or the token has not been inserted.) Please try
again."

I am certain the administrator passphrase is the same and the key
appears to be the same.

Any clues? Input would be most appreciated. Thanks

John Wunderlich

Nov 12, 2010, 5:00:21 PM11/12/10
no...@nope.com wrote in

The key must do more than "appear" to be the same. In this context,
"the same" means that the Key-ID is identical to the key you used to
create the volumes. The only way that this can happen is if you
restored your Public/Private key pair to your keyring from a backup you
made prior to your clean install.

HTH,
John

no...@nope.com

Nov 12, 2010, 7:08:03 PM11/12/10

Yes and No, John. The corruption took down the whole machine along
with keys. (Yes I know, backup!) Therefore the volumes are lost to
me unless a backdoor or some hack exists (which I seriously doubt).
Have applied for a refund or downgrade to a PGP version not so
complex.

thanks for the reply.

John Wunderlich

Nov 12, 2010, 9:03:17 PM11/12/10
no...@nope.com wrote in

Sorry to hear that.

Looking forward, you might consider the freeware "Truecrypt".
Container files can have a simple passphrase that doesn't depend on
certificates or keys and the necessity to back them up. I've used it
for ten years, had many computers crash out from underneath me, and
never lost a byte... and I must confess I'm horrible at backing up
data.

< http://www.truecrypt.org >

HTH,
John

no...@nope.com

Nov 13, 2010, 5:13:43 PM11/13/10
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:03:17 -0800, John Wunderlich
<jwund...@lycos.com> wrote:

Live and learn! :)

Will check it out. And thanks again