what ports does netmeeting use?

Alex Westerhof

Dec 27, 2000, 4:33:16 PM12/27/00
Please can somebody give me the port numbers Netmeeting uses for
transmitting video.
I use MS Proxy (also as firewall) and I'm not able to transmit video though
chat does work!

Thanx in advance
Lex

Troutman

Dec 27, 2000, 5:10:26 PM12/27/00
acc.we...@chello.nl (Alex Westerhof) graced us with the following:

>Please can somebody give me the port numbers Netmeeting uses for
>transmitting video.
>I use MS Proxy (also as firewall) and I'm not able to transmit video
>though chat does work!

Had the same problem with NAT. Seems Netmeeting encodes the source IP,
and it isn't proxy friendly. SHould be a tech note on MS site since they
are both MS products.

--

______________________________
Mike Troutman

Joseph V. Morris

Dec 27, 2000, 5:55:29 PM12/27/00
Alex,

Check with Brian Sullivan or Robert Scoble in

microsoft.public.internet.netmeeting ,or
microsoft.public.win98.internet.netmeeting newsgroups.

(Brian may well show up here to respond.)

Otherwise, Robert can be found at:
http://www.netmeet.net/ ,
and Brian at
http://www.meetingbywire.com/
(there's a Java applet there).

Basically, there's a problem with the NM 3.01 application that applies to
both NAT (especially ICS) and also to most personal firewall software.

--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

This is a NEWSGROUP message; except for privacy reasons, please respond
therein; an e-mail COPY is always appreciated, of course.
Almost all electrons used in the creation of this message were recycled.
No electrons used in the production of this message were harmed or
mistreated in any manner.
"Alex Westerhof" <acc.we...@chello.nl> wrote in message

Melinda Shore

Dec 27, 2000, 9:24:48 PM12/27/00
In article <9017AFA7113...@209.249.185.71>,

Troutman <mi...@nospam.troutman.org> wrote:
>Had the same problem with NAT. Seems Netmeeting encodes the source IP,
>and it isn't proxy friendly. SHould be a tech note on MS site since they
>are both MS products.

It's H.323, not just NetMeeting. All session-oriented
protocols, including SIP, have the same difficulty with
firewalls and NATs. The MicroSoft support site is
particularly unhelpful as they recommend opening all UDP
ports >1024 on your firewall, which 1) undermines, just a
little bit, the value of your firewall, and 2) doesn't help
with NAT. There are some H.323 proxies around which can
help if you're in a position to deploy them in your network.
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - sh...@panix.com
If you send me harassing email, I'll probably post it

InternetSecurity101

Dec 27, 2000, 10:45:36 PM12/27/00
How to Establish NetMeeting Connections Through a Firewall

--------

Microsoft NetMeeting versions 2.0, 2.1, 2.11, 3.01 for Windows 95
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft NetMeeting versions 2.1, 2.11, 3.01 for Windows 98
Microsoft NetMeeting versions 2.1, 2.11, 3.01 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft NetMeeting version 3.01 for Windows 2000

--------

SUMMARY
This article describes how to use Microsoft NetMeeting to establish
connections over the Internet when you use a firewall to connect to the
Internet.

MORE INFORMATION
When you use NetMeeting to establish a connection over the Internet,
NetMeeting uses several IP ports to communicate with other meeting
participants. If you use a firewall to connect to the Internet, the
firewall must be configured so that the ports used by NetMeeting are
not blocked.

NetMeeting uses the following Internet Protocol (IP) ports:

Port Purpose
-------------------------------------
389 Internet Locator Server [Transmission Control Protocol
(TCP)]
522 ~~~~ Location Server (TCP)
1503 T.120 (TCP)
1720 H.323 call setup (TCP)
1731 Audio call control (TCP)
Dynamic H.323 call control (TCP)
Dynamic H.323 streaming [Realtime Transport Protocol (RTP) over
~~~~ Datagram Protocol (UDP)]
To establish outbound NetMeeting connections through a firewall, the
firewall must be configured to do the following:
Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 522, 389, 1503, 1720 and
1731.

Pass through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports
(1024-65535).

NOTE: Some firewalls are capable of passing through TCP connections on
specific ports, but are not capable of passing through secondary UDP
connections on dynamically assigned ports. When you establish
NetMeeting connections through these firewalls, you are unable to use
the audio features of NetMeeting.

In addition, some firewalls are capable of passing through TCP
connections on specific ports and secondary UDP connections on
dynamically assigned ports, but are not capable of virtualizing an
arbitrary number of internal IP addresses, or are not capable of doing
so dynamically. With these firewalls, you are able to establish
NetMeeting connections from computers inside the firewall to computers
outside the firewall and you are able to use the audio features of
NetMeeting, but you are unable to establish connections from computers
outside the firewall to computers inside the firewall.

The H.323 call setup protocol (over port 1720) dynamically negotiates a
TCP port for use by the H.323 call control protocol. Also, both the
audio call control protocol (over port 1731) and the H.323 call setup
protocol (over port 1720) dynamically negotiate ~~~~ Datagram Protocol
(UDP) ports for use by the H.323 streaming protocol, called the real
time protocol (RTP). In NetMeeting, two ports are determined on each
side of the firewall for audio and video streaming. These dynamically
negotiated ports are selected arbitrarily from all ports that can be
assigned dynamically.

NetMeeting directory services require either port 389 or port 522,
depending on the type of server you are using. Internet Locator Servers
(ILSs), which support the lightweight directory access protocol (LDAP)
for NetMeeting 2.0 or later, require port 389. ~~~~ Location Servers
(ULSs), developed for NetMeeting 1.0, require port 522.

Internet Security 101

In article <wet26.218167$%C1.2711191@Flipper>,

--
Firewall Information:
http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Alex Westerhof

Dec 28, 2000, 2:26:30 PM12/28/00
Thanx fot all your info.
I still have one question left.
I'm troubled by the installing the dynamic ports on MS Proxy.
I do not understand what exactly to do with the dynamic port for the H.323
call controll.
Should I make a port range (1024-65535) as secondary connections in the
H.323 call setup protocol?
Or must I make a seperate protocol for this one (and what about the dynamic
H.323 streaming protocol)
I hope you can help me just a little bit!
Thanx for all your reply's. It has helped me a lot!

Lex

Alex Westerhof

Dec 28, 2000, 3:33:17 PM12/28/00

Steven Toney

Dec 28, 2000, 9:05:12 PM12/28/00
The firewall needs to proper proxy H.323 to work right

I use sonicwall and it does not do this -- so no netmeeting

I'm using ivisit for now

I good ftp and h.323 proxy in sonicwall would be cool

steve

"InternetSecurity101" <internet...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

InternetSecurity101

Dec 29, 2000, 11:16:44 AM12/29/00
1024 - 49151

Internet Security 101

In article <hsN26.240892$%C1.2988330@Flipper>,

Ian Wade

Dec 30, 2000, 5:31:36 AM12/30/00
In article <wet26.218167$%C1.2711191@Flipper>, Alex Westerhof
<acc.we...@chello.nl> writes

>Please can somebody give me the port numbers Netmeeting uses for
>transmitting video.

The MS NetMeeting Resource Kit gives all the details:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/NetMeeting/Corp/reskit/default.asp

--
Ian Wade