Personality Engineering

Arthur T. Murray

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
C.Innes, cin...@www.ats.com.au, wrote on Sun, 12 Dec 1999:

> William Clifford <wo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:384898c9...@news.online.com ...
>>
>> I just finished Greg Egan's _Quarantine_ and wow. [...]

> Personality engineering! Now there's a very promising idea.
> The ability to customise one's personality to become more
> outgoing, less fearful, happier, etc. would in many ways
> be the ultimate technology.

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html Techno-
logical Singularity as told by Vinge IS the ultimate technology NOW.

http://mentifex.netpedia.net/ Mind.Forth AI Source Code is Vinge's
prophecy in self-fulfilling mode: Design a robot mind, and customize
its personality in your own image or to your own liking. R.U.R.

> Science fiction hasn't dealt with this idea much,

SF need not deal with this idea, since the Mind.Forth reality
outstrips the wildest imagination of science fiction writers.
After Fri.31.Dec.1999, science fiction will become obsolete.

> although Greg Egan (especially the short story "Axiomatic")
> and Greg Bear (the novels "Queen of Angels" and "Slant")
> are two notable exceptions.

Erik Max Francis

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
"Arthur T. Murray" wrote:

> SF need not deal with this idea, since the Mind.Forth reality
> outstrips the wildest imagination of science fiction writers.
> After Fri.31.Dec.1999, science fiction will become obsolete.

So when 1999 Dec 31 comes and goes and nothing happens, will you go
away?

--
Erik Max Francis | icq 16063900 | email m...@alcyone.com
Alcyone Systems | web http://www.alcyone.com/max/

William Clifford

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
On 12 Dec 99 17:23:55 GMT, uj...@victoria.tc.ca (Arthur T. Murray)
wrote:

>C.Innes, cin...@www.ats.com.au, wrote on Sun, 12 Dec 1999:

>> Science fiction hasn't dealt with this idea much,
>

>SF need not deal with this idea, since the Mind.Forth reality
>outstrips the wildest imagination of science fiction writers.
>After Fri.31.Dec.1999, science fiction will become obsolete.

Science fiction has been obsolete since at least December of 1976 when
John Varley's story _The Funhouse Effect_ was published in F&SF.

--
|William Clifford | This is a test of the emergency sig |
|wo...@yahoo.com | system. This is only a test. Had this |

mac...@2.1.t.com

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
uj...@victoria.tc.ca (Arthur T. Murray) wrote:

> > Science fiction hasn't dealt with this idea much,
>
> SF need not deal with this idea, since the Mind.Forth reality
> outstrips the wildest imagination of science fiction writers.
> After Fri.31.Dec.1999, science fiction will become obsolete.

Can you say "delusional egomania"?

* anti-spam address: Change "2.1.T" to "21T" to send email.

Gene Douglas

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99

Sometimes it's called parenting, sometimes it's called religion, and
sometimes it's called public education. In any case, it's never been very
efficient.

Arthur T. Murray wrote in message <3853d...@news.victoria.tc.ca>...

>C.Innes, cin...@www.ats.com.au, wrote on Sun, 12 Dec 1999:
>

>> William Clifford <wo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:384898c9...@news.online.com ...
>>>
>>> I just finished Greg Egan's _Quarantine_ and wow. [...]
>
>> Personality engineering! Now there's a very promising idea.
>> The ability to customise one's personality to become more
>> outgoing, less fearful, happier, etc. would in many ways
>> be the ultimate technology.

cut
-
GeneDou...@prodigy.net
--
One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental
illness.
Think of your three best friends. If they're OK, then it's you.
--
THE POLITICAL THERAPIST-- http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/3616
-