Risks Digest 32.86

RISKS List Owner

Sep 5, 2021, 5:36:51 PM9/5/21
to ri...@csl.sri.com
RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest Sunday 5 September 2021 Volume 32 : Issue 86

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, founder and still moderator

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
<http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/32.86>
The current issue can also be found at
<http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

Contents:
Whistleblower claims smart motorway system failure (Safer Highways)
The U.S. Army Tried Portable Nuclear Power at Remote Bases 60 Years Ago
(Atlas Obscura)
Excel spreadsheet font gives evidence of fraud (The Economist)
Digital Archives Meant to Be Permanent Seem to Be Lost on the Web
(New Scientist)
AI Matches Cardiologists' Expertise, While Explaining Its Decisions
(UCSF News)
Popular Smart Home Security System Can Be Remotely Disarmed (TechCrunch)
New NSA FAQ on Quantum Computing and Post-Quantum Cryptography (Defense.gov)
Apple backs down on CSAM launch, says it will collect input and make
improvements before launching (Apple Insider)
Insufficient evidence that AI breast cancer screening is accurate enough to
replace human scrutiny (medicalxpress.com)
GOP Election Reviews Create a New Kind of Security Threat (NYTimes)
Re: Lying with statistics (Jonathan Levine)
Re: Iceland has reported more cases in the past month than they had in the
previous 9 months combined (Sheldon, Andrew Douglass, Amos Shamir)
Re: Toyota suspends use of self-driving vehicle in Olympic Village
(Steve Lamont)
Re: Lights Flickered in New York City. Why Did the Subways Grind to a Halt?
(Sheldon)
Re: autonomous vehicles (Matthew Kruk)
Biden Administration Establishes Program to Recruit Techo (Maggie Miller)
Security, Privacy, and Innovation: Reshaping Law for the AI Era
(noted by Gabe Goldberg)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 10:25:37 -0400
From: "George Sherwood" <sher...@transedge.com>
Subject: Whistleblower claims smart motorway system failure (Safer Highways)

A whistleblower has claimed staff operating England's smart motorways are
'petrified' of road users being killed following a string of computer
crashes.

Three system failures in April meant that across hundreds of miles of
motorway, the digital signs which inform drivers of speed limits or lane
closures were left 'unusable'.

The signs, also called gantries, could not be changed along parts of the M1,
M4, M5 and M62, leading an insider at National Highways (formerly England
Highways) to warn that 'someone is going to get killed.'

https://www.saferhighways.co.uk/post/whistleblower-claims-smart-motorway-sys
tem-failure

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 22:53:35 -0400
From: "Gabe Goldberg" <ga...@gabegold.com>
Subject: The U.S. Army Tried Portable Nuclear Power at Remote Bases 60 Years
Ago (Atlas Obscura)

It didn’t go well.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/camp-century-portable-nuclear-reactor

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 11:31:20 -0400
From: "Steve Golson" <sgo...@trilobyte.com>
Subject: Excel spreadsheet font gives evidence of fraud (The Economist)

A prominent paper on dishonesty relied on a fabricated dataset, and different fonts provide proof:

http://datacolada.org/98

Perhaps the most peculiar feature of the dataset is the fact that
the baseline data for Car #1 in the posted Excel file appears in
two different fonts. Specifically, half of the data in that column
are printed in Calibri, and half are printed in Cambria.

The analyses we have performed on these two fonts provide evidence
of a rather specific form of data tampering. We believe the
dataset began with the observations in Calibri font. Those were
then duplicated using Cambria font.

Also mentioned in The Economist:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/08/28/how-data-detectives-spotted-fake-numbers-in-a-widely-cited-paper

RISK: It's data, it's in Excel, therefore it must be correct.

not-a-RISK: Making your data publicly available is a good thing.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 11:39:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: ACM TechNews <technew...@acm.org>
Subject: Digital Archives Meant to Be Permanent Seem to Be Lost on the Web
(New Scientist)

Chris Stokel-Walker *New Scientist*, 30 Aug 2021,
via ACM TechNews, 1 Sep 2021

Old Dominion University (ODU)'s Michael Nelson and colleagues found
supposedly permanent digital Web archives could be lost. The team ran a Web
crawler between November 2017 and January 2019 to access 16,627 pages
preserved by 17 services in the U.S., Europe, and some serving the whole
Internet. Four of the archives' uniform resource identifiers changed during
that period, impacting the crawler's ability to find the archived pages. The
four archives stored 1,981 Web pages, of which 537 were affected, including
20 that could not be retrieved at all. ODU's Michael Nelson said, "Being
able to provide access to archives and demonstrate the integrity and
authenticity of those archives are indeed issues that are very important to
us and our members, and Web archives are no exception."
https://orange.hosting.lsoft.com/trk/click?ref=znwrbbrs9_6-2c9x22d585x074076&

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 11:39:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: ACM TechNews <technew...@acm.org>
Subject: AI Matches Cardiologists' Expertise, While Explaining Its Decisions
(UCSF News)

Elizabeth Fernandez, University of California, San Francisco News, 24 Aug 2021
via ACM TechNews, 1 Sep 2021

Scientists at the University of California, San Francisco and the University
of California, Berkeley designed an artificial intelligence (AI) algorithm
that diagnosed cardiovascular ailments as well as expert cardiologists,
while explaining its reasoning. The researchers trained the convolutional
neural network on commonly accessible electrocardiogram (ECG) data. The
researchers said the algorithm performed strongly across 38 different
diagnoses in five broad diagnostic categories. Because the researchers
incorporated "explainability" into the algorithm, it highlighted ECG
segments critical for each diagnosis, which may boost physicians' confidence
in using it. The researchers said their results "offer strong support for AI
algorithms like neural networks to be incorporated into existing commercial
ECG algorithms, since they perform better for many diagnoses, can improve
over time and provide additional insights through explainability."
https://orange.hosting.lsoft.com/trk/click?ref=znwrbbrs9_6-2c9x22d584x074076&

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 11:39:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: ACM TechNews <technew...@acm.org>
Subject: Popular Smart Home Security System Can Be Remotely Disarmed
(TechCrunch)

Zack Whittaker, TechCrunch, 31 Aug 2021, via ACM TechNews, 1 Sep 2021

Researchers at cybersecurity company Rapid7 found vulnerabilities that can
be used to remotely disarm the Fortress S03 smart home-security system. The
Wi-Fi-based system allows owners to monitor their homes with a mobile
application via Internet-linked cameras, motion sensors, and sirens, and to
arm or disarm it with a radio-controlled key fob. The researchers said
hackers can remotely query an unauthenticated application programming
interface without the server checking the request's legitimacy; the server
would return the device's unique International Mobile Equipment Identity
number, which could be used to disarm the system. In addition, intercepting
unencrypted radio signals between the S03 and the key fob could permit the
"arm" and "disarm" signals to be captured and replayed. Rapid7 informed
Fortress of the flaws, then publicly disclosed them when the company did not
respond after three months; a law firm representing Fortress called the
claims of vulnerabilities in the S03 system "false, purposely misleading,
and defamatory," without specifying why they are false, or that Fortress has
fixed the vulnerabilities.
https://orange.hosting.lsoft.com/trk/click?ref=znwrbbrs9_6-2c9x22d583x074076&

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 15:47:53 -0700
From: Lauren Weinstein <lau...@vortex.com>
Subject: New NSA FAQ on Quantum Computing and Post-Quantum Cryptography
(Defense.gov)

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Aug/04/2002821837/-1/-1/1/Quantum_FAQs_20210804.PDF

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 08:20:39 -0700
From: Lauren Weinstein <lau...@vortex.com>
Subject: Apple backs down on CSAM launch, says it will collect input and
make improvements before launching

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/09/03/apple-backs-down-on-csam-features-postpones-launch

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 09:43:24 +0800
From: Richard Stein <rms...@ieee.org>
Subject: Insufficient evidence that AI breast cancer screening is accurate
enough to replace human scrutiny (medicalxpress.com)

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-09-insufficient-evidence-ai-breast-cancer.html

'"Current evidence on the use of AI systems in breast cancer screening is a
long way from having the quality and quantity required for its
implementation into clinical practice."

'"Well designed comparative test accuracy studies, randomized controlled
trials, and cohort studies in large screening populations are needed which
evaluate commercially available AI systems in combination with radiologists
in clinical practice."'

When the initial diagnosis originates from AI, a second opinions about
medical diagnosis will remain essential. How many patients will ask their
physicians to review the initial diagnosis for a false positive/negative?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 21:58:16 +0000
From: Henry Baker <hba...@pipeline.com>
Subject: GOP Election Reviews Create a New Kind of Security Threat (NYTimes)

> Nick Corasaniti, *NYTimes*, 1 Sep 2021
> https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/01/us/politics/gop-us-election-security.html

> As Republicans continue to challenge the 2020 results, voting equipment is
> being compromised when partisan insiders and unvetted operatives gain
> access.

> "that previously unknown technical vulnerabilities could be discovered by
> partisan malefactors and exploited in future elections."

> "Security experts say that election hardware and software should be
> subjected to transparency and rigorous testing, but only by credentialed
> professionals."

I was incredibly offended by the supercilious tone of this NYTimes article,
especially as it indicated a complete disregard for the dubious history of
'Security through Obscurity':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity

The 2020 election wasn't 'stolen', but that doesn't imply that our election
systems are in good shape -- they aren't, and can't be, so long as we
disregard Kerckhoffs's Principle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs%27s_principle

"Secrecy, in other words, is a prime cause of brittleness -- and therefore
something likely to make a system prone to catastrophic collapse.
Conversely, openness provides ductility." Bruce Schneier

Since elections and voting are the fundamental aspects of a democracy, these
processes deserve the highest level of scrutiny by the largest number of
eyes. By definition, all of these processes -- both *hardware* and
*software* -- should be OPEN SOURCE, and significant efforts in the computer
science and crypto communities should be made to render these processes as
*transparent* and *auditable* as possible.

"I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how;
but what is extraordinarily important is this--*who will count the votes,
and how*." said in 1923; Boris Bazhanov The Memoirs of Stalin's Former
Secretary (1992);

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 16:17:50 -0600
From: "Jonathan Levine" <jonathan.ca...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Lying with statistics (RISKS-32.85)

> Risk: Blithely quoting a company's statistics without questioning them.

Well, the broader problem is the public's uncritical acceptance of just
about *all* numbers thrown at us. The one that had me yelling at the
(CBC) radio recently was a local geothermal energy promoter's claim
that here in Alberta we could pull 10 terawatts (no puns please, PGN...)
out of the ground, a number that demands some explanation if one
bothers to correlate it with the *world's* electricity consumption,
presently between 15 and 20 terawatts.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 18:41:02 -0400
From: Sheldon <sheldo...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Iceland has reported more cases in the past month than they had
in the previous 9 months combined (RISKS-32.85)

People don't understand what vaccines do.

Vaccines are tested and approved based upon their preventing disease, not
upon their preventing infection. Of all the human vaccines, only the HPV
vaccine prevents infection. For example, children get infected with the two
serotypes of polio that exist, even if they are vaccinated. That the
SARS-COV-2 vaccines prevent infection is a bonus that will decline over
time. However, the vaccines are still great at preventing hospitalization
and death. That's because the protection of the immune system goes beyond
antibodies. For example, people who cannot produce antibodies and are
vaccinated have similar levels of protection against hospitalization and
death as people with a normal immune system.

A booster shot will likely increase the antibody levels and cut down on the
infection rate and the hospitalization rate.  But that will only be for a
few months until we once again have these SARS-COV-2 vaccines operating as
every other human vaccine. A booster is a protection for those who are
vaccinated and probably even more so for the idiots who are not.

The only long-term answer is to get every fool vaccinated ASAP.

The above paragraphs are based upon /This Week in Virology/. probably the
best technical podcast in the world on viruses and vaccines.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 19:03:43 -0400
From: "Andrew Douglass" <andr3wd...@gmail.com>
in the previous 9 months combined (RISKS-32.85)

Something came up today that surprised me. Perhaps this was worked out in
the newsgroup—I can’t seem to get into it at the moment.

The digest reported uncritically:

> ... 91.2% of their adult population is at least partially vaccinated,
> 86.5% are fully vaccinated Fauci said with 50% vaccinated, we wouldn’t see
> surges like those in the past. Whoops!

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1428407830093041664

A certain crowd, if you read the Twitter thread, is taking this to mean that
precautions don’t work. This is a faulty conclusion for a bunch of reasons.

(1) the two-dose vaccination % in Iceland is about 74%, not 87%
(2) infections and related data should be evaluated per capita;
(3) the United States has three times the per capita infection rate as Iceland;
(4) an increase in infection rate from very very good to very good looks
ominous with the Y-access access scaled up;
(5) hospitalization/death post-vax are the crucial numbers. Vaxed people
rarely get very sick or die;
(6) If Dr Fauci’s “fairly certain” was wrong—and that was pre-Delta
explosion—it reflects on Dr Fauci, not the statistically proven
effectiveness of vaccines;
(7) The data suggests actually that Iceland let off its restirctions in June
at the wrong time.
(8) The RISK: relying on a cherry-picked context-free graph and annotating
it cleverly to make a political point.
(9) I’m sure there’s more…. Public health is complicated.

More:
https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-iceland-vaccines/fact-check-covid-19-cases-in-iceland-are-not-proof-that-vaccines-are-ineffective-idUSL1N2P918F

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 17:20:07 +0300
From: "Amos Shapir" <amo...@gmail.com>
in the previous 9 months combined (RISKS-32.85)

How to Lie with Statistics, part 2:

Iceland had more infections, but the number of people hospitalized -- which
is the main cause of potential overwhelming health services -- has been less
than half than in previous waves, and is already declining fast.

So yes, anti-vaxers, Iceland had hammered the Coronavirus with science.
Again.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 16:08:59 -0700
From: "Steve Lamont" <s...@tirebiter.org>
Subject: Re: Toyota suspends use of self-driving vehicle in Olympic Village
(CNN)

It helps to read to the bottom of stories, to wit:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/27/cars/toyota-self-driving-vehicle-paralympics-accident/index.html

"Kitazono was crossing a crosswalk in the athlete's village when an
e-Palette made a right turn and struck him at a very slow speed, according
to a report from Japanese news organization Asahi Shimbun. At the time,
the vehicle was under manual control of an operator, who told police they
'were aware that a person was there but thought (the person) would
(realize that a bus was coming) and stop crossing the (street),' the Asahi
reported."

In other words, this was *driver* error, not an error by the e-Palette
self-driving system.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 18:23:13 -0400
From: Sheldon <sheldo...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Lights Flickered in New York City. Why Did the Subways Grind to
a Halt? (NYTimes, RISKS-32.85)

In my experience, Toronto's subway just stops when there is a power
outage. I did a bit of poking around and power is supposed to come from two
independent substations so that power can be switched over. There is battery
backup, but it isn't for traction. In case of longer term outage at a
station, generators can be brought onsite. But again, these generators
aren't intended to supply traction power.

The New York subways system operates under different rules and different
expectations, running 24 hours a day. And it operates tunnels under
water. Not only does the Toronto subway shut down every night but
periodically it partly shuts down on a weekend for maintenance or
upgrades. The risk here is that because of the opposition to shutting down
for maintenance, the maintenance and upgrades take years and years longer
than they would elsewhere.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 23:53:38 -0600
From: "Matthew Kruk" <mkr...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: autonomous vehicles

My $.25. It amazes me that we let a tech mongrel like Elon Musk to run free.
It's an example of where too much money makes an idiot feel like a god. He is
polluting space with his Internet satellites and his autonomous vehicles are
dangerous and in some cases killing innocent people.

As a first start, somebody please slap his face and say, "wake up and join
reality".

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 11:39:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: ACM TechNews <technew...@acm.org>
Subject: Biden Administration Establishes Program to Recruit Tech
Professionals to Serve in Government (The Hill)

Maggie Miller, *The Hill*, 30 Aug 2021, via ACM TechNews, 1 Sep 2021

The Biden administration has established the U.S. Digital Corps to enlist
and train technology professionals to serve in digital positions within the
federal government and tackle major challenges like COVID-19 and
cybersecurity. The program will launch later this year as a two-year
fellowship for 30 initial participants, who could serve at initial host
agencies like the General Services Administration (GSA), the Department of
Veterans Affairs, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. GSA's Robin
Carnahan said, "The Digital Corps fellowship offers technologists just
starting out in their career the opportunity to work on some of the most
pressing challenges that we face and develop innovative solutions that make
government work better for the American people."
https://orange.hosting.lsoft.com/trk/click?ref=znwrbbrs9_6-2c9x22d57dx074076&

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:15:01 -0400
From: "Gabe Goldberg" <ga...@gabegold.com>
Subject: Security, Privacy, and Innovation: Reshaping Law for the AI Era

17/24 Sep 2021 to 1 Oct 2021 (Save the Date)

Security, Privacy, and Innovation: Reshaping Law for the AI Era
Virtual Symposium, Fall 2021

Artificial intelligence (AI) is having profound effects on all aspects of
our society, the human experience, and national security. AI offers the
potential to expand knowledge, increase prosperity, and provide solutions to
global challenges. At the same time, public and private actors have
harnessed AI to supercharge cyber attacks and disinformation campaigns,
weaken social cohesion, and subvert individual rights. And legal frameworks
have yet to grapple with serious questions around algorithmic bias and
privacy.

In partnership with the National Security Commission on Artificial
Intelligence, the Berkman Klein Center, and Just Security, the Reiss Center
on Law and Security is convening a virtual symposium of experts to debate
critical legal issues around AI. The symposium will explore how the law must
adapt to promote innovation while addressing serious questions around the
development and use of AI in the United States and globally.

https://mailchi.mp/5ed5636e6c78/4r6psihvze-10296873?e=37de312147

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2020 11:11:11 -0800
From: RISKS-...@csl.sri.com
Subject: Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)

The ACM RISKS Forum is a MODERATED digest. Its Usenet manifestation is
comp.risks, the feed for which is donated by panix.com as of June 2011.
=> SUBSCRIPTIONS: The mailman Web interface can be used directly to
subscribe and unsubscribe:

=> SUBMISSIONS: to ri...@CSL.sri.com with meaningful SUBJECT: line that
includes the string `notsp'. Otherwise your message may not be read.
*** This attention-string has never changed, but might if spammers use it.
=> SPAM challenge-responses will not be honored. Instead, use an alternative
address from which you never send mail where the address becomes public!
=> The complete INFO file (submissions, default disclaimers, archive sites,
copyright policy, etc.) is online.
<http://www.CSL.sri.com/risksinfo.html>
*** Contributors are assumed to have read the full info file for guidelines!

=> OFFICIAL ARCHIVES: http://www.risks.org takes you to Lindsay Marshall's
searchable html archive at newcastle:
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/VL.IS --> VoLume, ISsue.
Also, ftp://ftp.sri.com/risks for the current volume/previous directories
or ftp://ftp.sri.com/VL/risks-VL.IS for previous VoLume
If none of those work for you, the most recent issue is always at
http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt, and index at /risks-32.00
ALTERNATIVE ARCHIVES: http://seclists.org/risks/ (only since mid-2001)
*** NOTE: If a cited URL fails, we do not try to update them. Try
browsing on the keywords in the subject line or cited article leads.
Apologies for what Office365 and SafeLinks may have done to URLs.
==> Special Offer to Join ACM for readers of the ACM RISKS Forum:
<http://www.acm.org/joinacm1>

End of RISKS-FORUM Digest 32.86