Buffer Underrun, CDRW Problem

george

Jun 27, 2002, 1:17:23 PM6/27/02
Hi all
I have recently installed a CDRW drive on my PC (Sony CRX160E-Rp). Its
reading speed is 32x and it can write at up to 12x. I also have a Toshiba
DVD-ROM SD-M1202 (32x), but try as I might, I can not copy CDs from my DVD
ROM drive "on the fly". The error I always get is "Write error - loss of
streaming (buffer underrun).
(GRI_WriteBlocks)". My CD making software, which came with my Sony drive is
CeQuadrat WinOnCD, version 3.70.572, and the operating system I use is
Win2000 Pro. I have already tried making DVD the master and Sony the slave,
and vice versa, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. My system
should be well capable of copying discs on the fly, as it is 2GHz Athlon
with 512Mb of RAM and my old PC, a mere 450Mhz with much less RAM did it OK.
It also seems irrelevant what type of disc I try to copy.
Any help appreciated, cheers.

Frank W

Jun 27, 2002, 5:52:31 AM6/27/02
Buffer Underrun errors occur when the source isn't supplying data fast enough to the writer.

Here are a few things you can try:

Slow your write speed so it's equal to or slower than the read speed of the DVD-ROM.

Try increasing the priority of the writing software in Task Manager.

Close all other running programs; also using Task Manager.

Reboot prior to burning.

See if your software has some way to cache the data to the hard disk before it starts to write to the drive.

Locker

Robert Hancock

Jun 27, 2002, 6:58:14 PM6/27/02
Make sure DMA mode is enabled on both the source drive and the burner. (In
Win2K this is under the hard disk controller entry in Device Manager.)

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hanc...@nospamshaw.ca

"george" <carN...@ukgateway.net> wrote in message

Bazza

Jun 28, 2002, 7:08:55 AM6/28/02

"Robert Hancock" <hanc...@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message

cant really add anymore apart from what cables are the writer and dvd on? i
have this dvd and it keeps up with my 32x on the fly, but will not with
audio or vcd`s

Bazza