CD-R longevity datum

1 view

Michael A. Covington

Jan 1, 2004, 6:13:17 PM1/1/04
Further to recent questions in rec.photo.darkroom, I checked, and I had
absolutely no difficulty reading CD-Rs that I recorded in mid-1999 (my
oldest ones). I didn't just open files; I copied the oldest CD, entire, to
hard disk.

Query: Is there any software that can report on minor difficulties reading a
CD (retries, or whatever) below the level that would cause the data to be
unreadable?

--

Michael A. Covington - Artificial Intelligence Ctr - University of Georgia

"In the core C# language it is simply not possible to have an uninitialized
variable, a 'dangling' pointer, or an expression that indexes an array
beyond its bounds. Whole categories of bugs that routinely plague C and C++
programs are thus eliminated." - A. Hejlsberg, The C# Programming Language

Some Dude

Jan 1, 2004, 7:32:33 PM1/1/04
Michael-

Take a look at CD X Rescue? It purports to repair bad CDR's. (Of
course, your mileage may vary).

http://www.burnworld.com/software/dvdburning/321studios/cd-x-rescue.htm

I haven't personally used it but its worth a shot..

Michael A. Covington

Jan 1, 2004, 8:35:28 PM1/1/04

"Some Dude" <so...@dude.net> wrote in message

Yes... it analyzes the readability of discs... interesting! I'll look at
it.