Beware of Meritline.com

Jeff Wildman

Aug 13, 2002, 1:52:52 PM8/13/02
"Phil" <new...@objectivism.net> wrote in message news:<9mi49.147607$nm.53...@bin5.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>...
> August 7, 2002
> I recently bought 100 2x (General Use) DVD-R blanks from Meritline.com,
> as well as a couple of hundred jewel cases, to be used for an initial short run
> of a commercial DVD-ROM product (not DVD-audio). It turns out that the
> media is highly unreliable on a number of end user machines. The problems
> are not lack of "version 2" compatibility generally, but a simple inability
> to read the discs, or read them reliably. They were burned on a Pioneer A04.
> A significant number of the cheap jewel cases have flaws such as broken
> hinges.
> Disgusted, I decided to try TDK labelled DVD-R blanks from Supermediastore.com,
> reasonably priced for 2X TDK brand name I think ($2.69). Though it's
> early to tell, these seem to be vastly superior in quality and to read
> reliably on a number of systems.
> The bottom line I guess, is that it's still the early days of DVD burning;
> beware of your media. Meritline struck out in two ways, their bad DVD-R
> blanks and their jewel cases.
>
> Phil

There is also some suspicion about Meritline's TDK claim on those "on
sale" discs. Maybe you could confirm: they are unbranded, so it is
more difficult to verify that they are actually TDK stock; some people
have discovered that it is actually 1X media being offloaded. BTW, TDK
(U.S.)confirms that they did not supply this media to Meritline.

Phil

Aug 13, 2002, 10:43:01 PM8/13/02
"Jeff Wildman" <Jef...@hotmail.com> wrote

> There is also some suspicion about Meritline's TDK claim on those "on
> sale" discs. Maybe you could confirm: they are unbranded, so it is
> more difficult to verify that they are actually TDK stock; some people
> have discovered that it is actually 1X media being offloaded. BTW, TDK
> (U.S.)confirms that they did not supply this media to Meritline.

The media I bought from Meritline wasn't touted as TDK, so I
can't comment. Supermediastore's TDK discs (they do have a
TDK stamp on the hub) seem to be performing far better,
although it's a little early to say definitively. I'll stick with these
blanks for now.

Phil