Re: What are the best brands to get dual-layer DVDRWs (+ and -)?

Ant

Dec 30, 2008, 4:03:02 PM12/30/08
On 12/29/2008 9:00 PM PT, Ant typed:

> Yes, RW since I will be reusing them.
>
> Thanks in advance. ;)

Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare? I can't seem to find any.
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.10 says they existed since
2006.
--
"Are you slower than an ant?" --Sai Yuk from The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk
movie (English subtitles)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: phi...@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANT...@zimage.com

Vic Hyu Garcia

Dec 30, 2008, 10:21:36 PM12/30/08
On 12/30/2008 16:03, Ant wrote:
> On 12/29/2008 9:00 PM PT, Ant typed:
>
>> Yes, RW since I will be reusing them.
>>
>> Thanks in advance. ;)
>
> Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare? I can't seem to find any.
> http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.10 says they existed
> since 2006.
It's you, they are pretty common.

Now, why people still use them, knowing the problems they cause, and the
fact that they cost about 5 times more than normal DVD's ... that's the
real mystery for me ?????

Ant

Dec 30, 2008, 10:36:56 PM12/30/08
On 12/30/2008 7:21 PM PT, Vic Hyu Garcia typed:

What problems do they cause? The only issue I read was older drives
might not be able to read them.
--
"Yeah, what's left of it. I was in the militia -- national guard...
That's good! Wasn't any war any more than there's war between men and

Rod Speed

Dec 31, 2008, 12:49:10 AM12/31/08
Ant wrote
> Vic Hyu Garcia wrote
>> Ant wrote
>>> Ant wrote

>>> Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare? I can't seem to find any.

>>> http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.10 says they existed since 2006.

>> It's you, they are pretty common.

Looks like he has missed the DL requirement too.

>> Now, why people still use them, knowing the problems they cause, and the fact that they cost about 5 times more than
>> normal DVD's ...
>> that's the real mystery for me ?????

> What problems do they cause?

None with a decent burner.

> The only issue I read was older drives might not be able to read them.

The other issue is that price question.

Rod Speed

Dec 31, 2008, 12:49:38 AM12/31/08
Ant wrote
> Ant wrote

>> Yes, RW since I will be reusing them.

> Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare?

Just you. Not as common as DVD+/-R but nothing even remotely resembling anything like rare.

But maybe you left out the dual layer in the body of this post.

DL DVD+/-RWs arent very common at all.

Ant

Dec 31, 2008, 1:57:36 AM12/31/08
On 12/30/2008 9:49 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> Ant wrote
>> Ant wrote
>
>>> Yes, RW since I will be reusing them.
>
>> Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare?
>
> Just you. Not as common as DVD+/-R but nothing even remotely resembling anything like rare.
>
> But maybe you left out the dual layer in the body of this post.
>
> DL DVD+/-RWs arent very common at all.

Sorry, I meant dual layer/DL RWs not the cheaper smaller capability ones.
--
"Even an ant can hurt an elephant." --Proverb

Ant

Dec 31, 2008, 1:58:16 AM12/31/08
On 12/30/2008 9:49 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> Ant wrote

Yeah, that is why I am planning to get only one or two if they exist.

Paul Heslop

Dec 31, 2008, 3:11:47 AM12/31/08
Ant wrote:

> On 12/30/2008 9:49 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:
>
> > Ant wrote
> >> Ant wrote

> >> Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare?
> >
> > Just you. Not as common as DVD+/-R but nothing even remotely resembling anything like rare.
> >
> > But maybe you left out the dual layer in the body of this post.
> >
> > DL DVD+/-RWs arent very common at all.
>
> Sorry, I meant dual layer/DL RWs not the cheaper smaller capability ones.

well I just did some hunting and they do seem to be impossible to
find. even though the JVC brand seem to have been developed and
created I found none. Are you sure your machine would actually be
capable of recording on them? Someone suggested that the panasonic
recorders which have DL capability will write to them but that's all
I've seen.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look

Vic Hyu Garcia

Dec 31, 2008, 10:42:51 AM12/31/08
On 12/31/2008 01:57, Ant wrote:
> On 12/30/2008 9:49 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:
>
>> Ant wrote
>>> Ant wrote

>>> Is it me or are DVD+/-RW discs rare?
>>
>> Just you. Not as common as DVD+/-R but nothing even remotely
>> resembling anything like rare.
>>
>> But maybe you left out the dual layer in the body of this post.
>>
>> DL DVD+/-RWs arent very common at all.
>
> Sorry, I meant dual layer/DL RWs not the cheaper smaller capability ones.
Oh well, those are definitely in the rare to never seen one category, it
most be the price question.

The problems with RW (SL) are mostly in the compatibility path, while
they work in computer readers, most give errors when used in a normal
consumer DVD.
I had use 3 different brands, none has played OK neither on my players
(Phillips) or my cousin one (Samsung), so for me they are very expensive
coasters.

Ant

Dec 31, 2008, 4:20:02 PM12/31/08
On 12/31/2008 12:11 AM PT, Paul Heslop typed:

> Ant wrote:
>> On 12/30/2008 9:49 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:
>>
>>> Ant wrote
>>> Just you. Not as common as DVD+/-R but nothing even remotely resembling anything like rare.
>>>
>>> But maybe you left out the dual layer in the body of this post.
>>>
>>> DL DVD+/-RWs arent very common at all.
>> Sorry, I meant dual layer/DL RWs not the cheaper smaller capability ones.
>
> well I just did some hunting and they do seem to be impossible to
> find. even though the JVC brand seem to have been developed and
> created I found none. Are you sure your machine would actually be
> capable of recording on them? Someone suggested that the panasonic
> recorders which have DL capability will write to them but that's all
> I've seen.

Hmm, you're right and I didn't even notice. I thought all today's DVD
burner drives had that support by now!

http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/products/hhid_dvdrw/ad7220.html I only
see DVD+/-R DL. Nero's InfoTool 5 doesn't show it either:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4420/neroinfotool5lc3.gif (only -R and
+R DL).

What SATA DVD burner drives come with them these days?
--
"I don't believe in evil, I believe only in horror. In nature there is
no evil, only an abundance of horror: the plagues and the blights and

Ant

Dec 31, 2008, 4:22:42 PM12/31/08
On 12/31/2008 7:42 AM PT, Vic Hyu Garcia typed:

>>> Just you. Not as common as DVD+/-R but nothing even remotely
>>> resembling anything like rare.
>>>
>>> But maybe you left out the dual layer in the body of this post.
>>>
>>> DL DVD+/-RWs arent very common at all.
>>
>> Sorry, I meant dual layer/DL RWs not the cheaper smaller capability ones.
> Oh well, those are definitely in the rare to never seen one category, it
> most be the price question.
>
> The problems with RW (SL) are mostly in the compatibility path, while
> they work in computer readers, most give errors when used in a normal
> consumer DVD.
> I had use 3 different brands, none has played OK neither on my players
> (Phillips) or my cousin one (Samsung), so for me they are very expensive
> coasters.

Wow, I thought this issue would resolved by now. Hence, why I stuck with
CD burners for many years and finally decided to get a DVD burner drive.
I remember this problem with CDRWs back in the old days. That was quite
annoying. Things got a lot better now. I just hated making coasters with
CDRs and DVDRs. And I do like to erase RW medias and reuse them. I guess
I should not bother with DVD RW medias then.
--
"He who storms in like a whirlwind returns like an ant." --Borneo

Paul Heslop

Dec 31, 2008, 5:06:07 PM12/31/08

dunno mate, I'm still stuck in the dark ages :O)

Paul Heslop

Dec 31, 2008, 5:06:38 PM12/31/08
Ant wrote:

> On 12/31/2008 7:42 AM PT, Vic Hyu Garcia typed:

> >> Sorry, I meant dual layer/DL RWs not the cheaper smaller capability ones.
> > Oh well, those are definitely in the rare to never seen one category, it
> > most be the price question.
> >
> > The problems with RW (SL) are mostly in the compatibility path, while
> > they work in computer readers, most give errors when used in a normal
> > consumer DVD.
> > I had use 3 different brands, none has played OK neither on my players
> > (Phillips) or my cousin one (Samsung), so for me they are very expensive
> > coasters.
>
> Wow, I thought this issue would resolved by now. Hence, why I stuck with
> CD burners for many years and finally decided to get a DVD burner drive.
> I remember this problem with CDRWs back in the old days. That was quite
> annoying. Things got a lot better now. I just hated making coasters with
> CDRs and DVDRs. And I do like to erase RW medias and reuse them. I guess
> I should not bother with DVD RW medias then.

DVD ram is the most stable.

Ant

Dec 31, 2008, 5:12:11 PM12/31/08
On 12/31/2008 2:06 PM PT, Paul Heslop typed:

>>> well I just did some hunting and they do seem to be impossible to
>>> find. even though the JVC brand seem to have been developed and
>>> created I found none. Are you sure your machine would actually be
>>> capable of recording on them? Someone suggested that the panasonic
>>> recorders which have DL capability will write to them but that's all
>>> I've seen.
>> Hmm, you're right and I didn't even notice. I thought all today's DVD
>> burner drives had that support by now!
>>
>> http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/products/hhid_dvdrw/ad7220.html I only
>> see DVD+/-R DL. Nero's InfoTool 5 doesn't show it either:
>> http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4420/neroinfotool5lc3.gif (only -R and
>> +R DL).
>>
>> What SATA DVD burner drives come with them these days?
>
> dunno mate, I'm still stuck in the dark ages :O)

LOL. CD burner only? I was like that before I got this drive!
Apparently, I am still early for it. ;P
--
"PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown

Ant

Dec 31, 2008, 5:15:50 PM12/31/08
On 12/31/2008 2:06 PM PT, Paul Heslop typed:

>>> Oh well, those are definitely in the rare to never seen one category, it
>>> most be the price question.
>>>
>>> The problems with RW (SL) are mostly in the compatibility path, while
>>> they work in computer readers, most give errors when used in a normal
>>> consumer DVD.
>>> I had use 3 different brands, none has played OK neither on my players
>>> (Phillips) or my cousin one (Samsung), so for me they are very expensive
>>> coasters.
>> Wow, I thought this issue would resolved by now. Hence, why I stuck with
>> CD burners for many years and finally decided to get a DVD burner drive.
>> I remember this problem with CDRWs back in the old days. That was quite
>> annoying. Things got a lot better now. I just hated making coasters with
>> CDRs and DVDRs. And I do like to erase RW medias and reuse them. I guess
>> I should not bother with DVD RW medias then.
>
> DVD ram is the most stable.

And least compatiblity: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.1
... Ugh.
--
"Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying
Circus

Rod Speed

Dec 31, 2008, 9:05:32 PM12/31/08

Not if you only need SL DVD+/-RW

Rod Speed

Dec 31, 2008, 9:06:44 PM12/31/08

SL DVD+/-RW is very readily available and the better DVD players handle them fine.

Ant

Jan 1, 2009, 4:53:50 AM1/1/09

Ah, I want a DVD burner including DL RW. I guess I won't bother now
after reading bad things about it.
--
"Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb

Ant

Jan 1, 2009, 4:57:28 AM1/1/09
On 12/31/2008 6:06 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Yeah, it looks like I will have to do that. I was hoping for more disc
space with DL. :(
--
"As when death smites the swollen brooding thing that inhabits their
crawling hill and holds them all in sway, ants will wander witless and

Paul Heslop

Jan 1, 2009, 5:33:46 AM1/1/09
Ant wrote:

> On 12/31/2008 2:06 PM PT, Paul Heslop typed:

> >> Hmm, you're right and I didn't even notice. I thought all today's DVD
> >> burner drives had that support by now!
> >>
> >> http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/products/hhid_dvdrw/ad7220.html I only
> >> see DVD+/-R DL. Nero's InfoTool 5 doesn't show it either:
> >> http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4420/neroinfotool5lc3.gif (only -R and
> >> +R DL).
> >>
> >> What SATA DVD burner drives come with them these days?
> >
> > dunno mate, I'm still stuck in the dark ages :O)
>
> LOL. CD burner only? I was like that before I got this drive!
> Apparently, I am still early for it. ;P

no, I have a dvd burner, it's external and works well, but I have no
idea about SATA and etc at all, they're just words to me.

Paul Heslop

Jan 1, 2009, 5:34:31 AM1/1/09

yep, but really, it is like a mini hard disc.

CapCity

Jan 6, 2009, 7:59:49 AM1/6/09

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Always check the DVD players specs to be sure. If the box doesn't have it
listed on the side then go to the product's web site. Or take one with you
to the store and try it on a floor model.

Ant

Jan 6, 2009, 10:32:56 AM1/6/09
On 1/6/2009 4:59 AM PT, CapCity typed:

>> SL DVD+/-RW is very readily available and the better DVD players handle
>> them fine.
>
> Always check the DVD players specs to be sure. If the box doesn't have it
> listed on the side then go to the product's web site. Or take one with you
> to the store and try it on a floor model.

Yes, but this is not possible for people who already owned DVD players
for years. Do all DVD players (even old and cheaper models) support SL
DVDRs well?
--
"It is not enough to be industrious; so are the ants. What are you
industrious about?" --Henry David Thoreau

CapCity

Jan 6, 2009, 1:08:47 PM1/6/09

"Ant" <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote in message

> On 1/6/2009 4:59 AM PT, CapCity typed:
>
>>> SL DVD+/-RW is very readily available and the better DVD players handle
>>> them fine.
>>
>> Always check the DVD players specs to be sure. If the box doesn't have it
>> listed on the side then go to the product's web site. Or take one with
>> you to the store and try it on a floor model.
>
> Yes, but this is not possible for people who already owned DVD players for
> years. Do all DVD players (even old and cheaper models) support SL DVDRs
> well?

No. Some will not support them at all. Older progressive scan players
sometimes do well. But I have seen players only play SL DVD-R, some not play
either SL DVD-R or SL DVD+R.

Rod Speed

Jan 6, 2009, 1:55:35 PM1/6/09
Ant wrote:
> On 1/6/2009 4:59 AM PT, CapCity typed:
>
>>> SL DVD+/-RW is very readily available and the better DVD players
>>> handle them fine.
>>
>> Always check the DVD players specs to be sure. If the box doesn't
>> have it listed on the side then go to the product's web site. Or
>> take one with you to the store and try it on a floor model.
>
> Yes, but this is not possible for people who already owned DVD players
> for years. Do all DVD players (even old and cheaper models) support SL
> DVDRs well?

Nope, particularly with the older ones.

But then they are now so cheap that there isnt much point in farting around
with the older crap that doesnt work.

The other consideration is that the best of DVD players will play MPEG4s and AVIs
etc and its well worth replacing DVD players that dont with ones that do so you dont
have to fart around converting those to DVD format if you play those much.

CapCity

Jan 6, 2009, 3:47:32 PM1/6/09

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I just picked up a Phillips model at WalMart for around $40. Plays DVD+/-R,
DivX, Music CDs, MP3. Has a USB port and will rip a music cd to MP3 on a
thumb drive. Also upconverts to 1080p.

Like you said, why fart around with the old stuff. The DivX alone was worth
it.

Ant

Jan 7, 2009, 12:49:05 AM1/7/09
On 1/6/2009 10:55 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

So I have to tell all my friends, relatives, strangers, etc. to buy new
players because of their old incompatible DVD players? :(
--
"Yo mama's glasses are so thick, she can burn ants with them." --unknown

Rod Speed

Jan 7, 2009, 3:39:23 AM1/7/09
Ant wrote:
> On 1/6/2009 10:55 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:
>
>> Ant wrote:
>>> On 1/6/2009 4:59 AM PT, CapCity typed:

>>> Yes, but this is not possible for people who already owned DVD
>>> players for years. Do all DVD players (even old and cheaper models)
>>> support SL DVDRs well?
>>
>> Nope, particularly with the older ones.
>>
>> But then they are now so cheap that there isnt much point in farting
>> around with the older crap that doesnt work.
>>

>> The other consideration is that the best of DVD players will play
>> MPEG4s and AVIs etc and its well worth replacing DVD players that
>> dont with ones that do so you dont have to fart around converting
>> those to DVD format if you play those much.
>
> So I have to tell all my friends, relatives, strangers, etc. to buy
> new players because of their old incompatible DVD players? :(

Yep, thats what I have done.

Ant

Jan 7, 2009, 10:28:03 AM1/7/09
On 1/7/2009 12:39 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Oh well. Thanks anyways.
--
"Ladies and gentlemen, hoboes and tramps...Crosseyed Mosquitoes and
bow-legged ants...I've come to tell you the story..." --Bob Holman

Rod Speed

Jan 7, 2009, 2:07:13 PM1/7/09
Ant wrote:
> On 1/7/2009 12:39 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>>> So I have to tell all my friends, relatives, strangers, etc. to buy
>>> new players because of their old incompatible DVD players? :(
>>
>> Yep, thats what I have done.
>
> Oh well. Thanks anyways.

More strictly I have done that with those who want more than just one or two DVDs.