Unable to read my burned CDs and DVDs in various DVD-ROM drives...

Ant

Sep 13, 2009, 4:49:36 AM9/13/09
Hello!

Is it me or do some old DVD-ROM drives have serious problems reading
burned discs (CD-R, CD-RWs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs, DVD-RWs [assuming
they can read them])? It can be unable to read the whole disc (e.g.,
Explorer says to insert disc) or partially discs (e.g., can't copy
specific files). I have seen this at work and home with many IDE/PATA
DVD drives, brands, PCs, etc.

I have used:
1. Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1912, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 Rev. B (sometimes
locks up the whole PC!), etc. for DVD-ROM drives.
2. Latest firmwares and even firmwares to remove region protections for
both burners (e.g., Sony NEC Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7220S) and reader drives.
3. TDK, Memorex, Office Depot, Sony, HP, etc. New and old discs!
4. CDburnerXP v4.x, Nero Express Essentials SE v8.3.13.0, Roxio Easy CD
Creator (an old version and can't remember it since it is at work).

I did notice using commercial pressed discs seem to have NO problems. Am
I doing something wrong or just having a bad luck?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"What is that?" "Some kind of insect?" "It's an ant." "Girl, you needed
an exterminator. She had ants on her face." "Well, these aren't your
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: phi...@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANT...@zimage.com

Mike S.

Sep 17, 2009, 3:10:49 PM9/17/09

In article <48ydnSeZcs29LzHX...@earthlink.com>,

Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Is it me or do some old DVD-ROM drives have serious problems reading
>burned discs (CD-R, CD-RWs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs, DVD-RWs [assuming
>they can read them])? It can be unable to read the whole disc (e.g.,
>Explorer says to insert disc) or partially discs (e.g., can't copy
>specific files). I have seen this at work and home with many IDE/PATA
>DVD drives, brands, PCs, etc.
>
>I have used:
>1. Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1912, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 Rev. B (sometimes
>locks up the whole PC!), etc. for DVD-ROM drives.
>2. Latest firmwares and even firmwares to remove region protections for
>both burners (e.g., Sony NEC Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7220S) and reader drives.
>3. TDK, Memorex, Office Depot, Sony, HP, etc. New and old discs!
>4. CDburnerXP v4.x, Nero Express Essentials SE v8.3.13.0, Roxio Easy CD
>Creator (an old version and can't remember it since it is at work).
>
>I did notice using commercial pressed discs seem to have NO problems. Am
>I doing something wrong or just having a bad luck?
>
>Thank you in advance. :)

FWIW I've had experience with three laptops that came with Toshiba DVD/CDRW
combo drives, and they ALL had problems reading some recordable DVD's.

Ant

Sep 18, 2009, 1:40:40 AM9/18/09
On 9/17/2009 12:10 PM PT, Mike S. typed:

> FWIW I've had experience with three laptops that came with Toshiba DVD/CDRW
> combo drives, and they ALL had problems reading some recordable DVD's.

Were you able to resolve it or find a way around it?
--
"The life of an ant and that of my child should be granted equal
consideration." --Michael W. Fox, Vice President, The Human Society of