Webmaster for <https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome>

David E. Ross

Sep 10, 2021, 8:11:20 PM9/10/21
I tried sending E-mail to webm...@ntp.org regarding some Stratum 2 NTP
servers that are "broken". The messages bounced after 4 days as
undeliverable. Does anyone know of a contact for the Network Time
Protocol organization or Web site?

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Bart de Alliantie

Oct 28, 2021, 9:24:59 AM10/28/21
Op zaterdag 11 september 2021 om 02:11:20 UTC+2 schreef David E. Ross:
https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/ContactInformation

David E. Ross

Oct 29, 2021, 1:27:23 AM10/29/21
Aside from the E-mail address that fails, the "NTP Contact Information"
at that link indicates two other contacts. One is this newsgroup. The
other is a mailing list reached via <https://lists.ntp.org/>. However,
an attempt to reach that Web page yields the error message:
"The connection was refused when attempting to contact
lists.ntp.org."

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
See my <http://www.rossde.com/index.html#vaccine>.

David Woolley

Oct 29, 2021, 6:14:08 AM10/29/21
On 29/10/2021 06:27, David E. Ross wrote:
> Aside from the E-mail address that fails, the "NTP Contact Information"
> at that link indicates two other contacts. One is this newsgroup. The
> other is a mailing list reached via<https://lists.ntp.org/>. However,
> an attempt to reach that Web page yields the error message:
> "The connection was refused when attempting to contact
> lists.ntp.org."

There is or was a two way gateway between the mailing list and the
newsgroup. However the mailing list has a reputation for being very
fussy about who it will accept messages from. Nonetheless, it is more
likely to have active developers than the newsgroup.

John Levine

Oct 29, 2021, 1:37:16 PM10/29/21
According to David Woolley <da...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>:

>There is or was a two way gateway between the mailing list and the
>newsgroup. However the mailing list has a reputation for being very
>fussy about who it will accept messages from. Nonetheless, it is more
>likely to have active developers than the newsgroup.

I run the gateway. It is not very clever, just strips off some usenet-only
headers and forwards the message to the mailing list. If you use a munged
from address, which for some reason people do even though spammers stopped
scraping usenet addresses about 20 years ago, you can expect the list
to reject your message.

R's,
John

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

John Levine

Oct 29, 2021, 1:38:45 PM10/29/21
According to John Levine <jo...@taugh.com>:
>According to David Woolley <da...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>:
>>
>>There is or was a two way gateway between the mailing list and the
>>newsgroup. However the mailing list has a reputation for being very
>>fussy about who it will accept messages from. Nonetheless, it is more
>>likely to have active developers than the newsgroup.
>
>I run the gateway. It is not very clever, just strips off some usenet-only
>headers and forwards the message to the mailing list. If you use a munged
>from address, which for some reason people do even though spammers stopped
>scraping usenet addresses about 20 years ago, you can expect the list
>to reject your message.

Oh, and I forgot to mention something is screwed up at the list host so
it has been replying with temporary deferral error codes for several years.
The people in charge of the list know, dunno why they can't fix it.

David E. Ross

Oct 30, 2021, 1:55:50 PM10/30/21
On 10/29/2021 10:38 AM, John Levine wrote:
> According to John Levine <jo...@taugh.com>:
>> According to David Woolley <da...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>:
>>>
>>> There is or was a two way gateway between the mailing list and the
>>> newsgroup. However the mailing list has a reputation for being very
>>> fussy about who it will accept messages from. Nonetheless, it is more
>>> likely to have active developers than the newsgroup.
>>
>> I run the gateway. It is not very clever, just strips off some usenet-only
>> headers and forwards the message to the mailing list. If you use a munged
>>from address, which for some reason people do even though spammers stopped
>> scraping usenet addresses about 20 years ago, you can expect the list
>> to reject your message.
>
> Oh, and I forgot to mention something is screwed up at the list host so
> it has been replying with temporary deferral error codes for several years.
> The people in charge of the list know, dunno why they can't fix it.

Okay, I am using a real E-mail address in this reply.

I tried sending E-mail to webm...@ntp.org regarding some Stratum 2 NTP
servers that are "broken". The messages bounced after 4 days as
undeliverable. How do I communicate this to whoever is maintaining the
list of time servers at <http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome>?

Dru Lavigne

Nov 1, 2021, 1:19:59 PM11/1/21
David,

We're in the process of figuring out what is broken for webmaster@ and we also have upgrading support.ntp.org in the sysadmin queue.

In the meantime, please forward me your message wrt the time servers so we can correct it on the website.

Cheers,

Dru