ntp-4.0.96 is available

Harlan Stenn

Aug 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/9/99
Diffs and a tarball, at the usual place:

ftp://ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/testing/

http://www.ntp.org/

The only pending items in the queue are:

- a multiprocessor NT patch that should be here soon
- a couple weeks' stability

From the NEWS file:

(4.0.96)
* -lnsl, -lsocket, -lgen configuration patches
* Y2K patches from AT&T
* Linux portability cruft

From the ChangeLog:

1999-08-09 Harlan Stenn <st...@whimsy.udel.edu>

* configure.in: 4.0.96

* parseutil/dcfd.c (main): Replace SA_ONSTACK and SV_ONSTACK with
HAVE_SIGACTION and HAVE_SIGVEC, respectively. HP-UX provides both
of the former but only one of the latter...

1999-08-08 Harlan Stenn <st...@whimsy.udel.edu>

* configure.in: Better tests for -lnsl and -lsocket
From: Albert Chin-A-Young <ch...@thewrittenword.com>

Works for me - handle openlog() and -lgen the same way.

* Makefile.am (EXTRA_DIST): Add in the y2k notes

* parseutil/dcfd.c: Renamed drift_comp to accum_drift

* configure.in: Added MAKE_CHECK_Y2K support; check_y2k needs libparse.
* ntpd/Makefile.am (check_PROGRAMS): Use MAKE_CHECK_Y2K
* ntpd/Makefile.am (check-local): Added.
* parseutil/Makefile.am (check-local): Added.

* include/ntp.h: Y2KFixes
* libparse/parse.c: Ditto
* ntpd/Makefile.am (check_PROGRAMS): Ditto
* ntpd/refclock_acts.c: Ditto
* ntpd/refclock_arc.c (arc_receive): Ditto
* ntpd/refclock_heath.c: Ditto
* ntpd/refclock_hpgps.c: Ditto
* parseutil/Makefile.am (check-local): Ditto
* parseutil/dcfd.c (check_y2k): Ditto
* NOTES.y2kfixes: Ditto
* readme.y2kfixes: Ditto
* results.y2kfixes: Ditto
* ntpd/check_y2k.c: Ditto
From: y...@y2k.labs.att.com

1999-08-07 Harlan Stenn <st...@whimsy.udel.edu>

* configure.in: Look for sys/ppstime.h.

1999-07-31 Harlan Stenn <st...@whimsy.udel.edu>

* ntpd/ntp_io.c (create_sockets): Typo.
From: Doug Wells <d...@contek.com>

1999-07-29 Harlan Stenn <st...@whimsy.udel.edu>

* configure.in (ac_cv_struct_ntptimeval): Explicitly look for
struct ntptimeval.
(ac_cv_var_kernel_pll): Require struct ntptimeval.
Linux. Grrr.
Reported by: Ronald Kuetemeier <ron...@smginc.com>

Carl Byington

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99

Harlan Stenn

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
Apparently, the clock diversion problem is related to the NT port only.

A possible fix is being tested.

Carl Byington

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

Andrej Borsenkow

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Carl Byington <ca...@five-ten-sg.com> wrote in message

> And it seems to work - *very* well actually. New 4.0.96 binaries at
> <http://www.five-ten-sg.com/util/ntp4096.zip> built on the morning of
> August 10.

Two questions.

1. Which authentication is supported? I tried keys of type A and M - ntpd
reports "invalid key type for key number 1, entry ignored ".

2. I get the following messages when starting ntpd (I did not have them with
4.0.93):

Unusual Clock increment 156250: Multiprocessor?
(Yes, it is dual processor system)

Wraparound 1225108046 -> 475681The operation completed successfully.
(only once so far)

Is there something to worry about?

regards

/andrej

Carl Byington

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

David Schwartz

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Carl Byington wrote:

> In article <7pbpp6$dir$1...@news.mch.sbs.de>, Andrej.B...@mow.siemens.ru
> says...
> >
> >1. Which authentication is supported? I tried keys of type A and M - ntpd
> >reports "invalid key type for key number 1, entry ignored ".
>
> I don't think any authentication is supported in this port since I don't
> have a license for the RSAREF library. All the encryption stuff was pulled
> from the distribution due to crappy US export policy.

Odd. I thought that:

1) MD5 was fine for export, and

2) If it's only used for authentication, it isn't considered encryption
under US law.

DS

David Schwartz

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

> Yeah, sort of what I thought. But maybe UDel is just playing it real safe.
> Of course, you could use MD5 to build a fairly secure stream cipher.

Perhaps then they should simply apply for a license. It's really not
that complicated, and I'm 99% certain that it would be granted.

DS

Carl Byington

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

Harlan Stenn

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
The base NTP distribution comes with MD5.