Stuck on minpoll

18 views
Skip to first unread message

Roger

unread,
Apr 4, 2022, 4:52:07 PMApr 4
to
There are a few servers in the pool which return "poll 4".
This results in a client staying on minpoll for that server.
Is there a configuration option which allow clients to move
between minpoll and maxpoll for such a server?
--
Roger

Miroslav Lichvar

unread,
Apr 11, 2022, 6:20:43 AMApr 11
to
On 2022-04-04, Roger <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> There are a few servers in the pool which return "poll 4".

Those are probably the LeoNTP servers. They respond with a fixed poll
instead of copying the poll value from the client request (as required
by the NTP RFC).

> This results in a client staying on minpoll for that server.
> Is there a configuration option which allow clients to move
> between minpoll and maxpoll for such a server?

No, AFAIK the only way to reduce the request rate is to increase
the minpoll.

--
Miroslav Lichvar

Roger

unread,
Apr 11, 2022, 11:17:20 AMApr 11
to
Thank you for your reply.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:20:41 -0000 (UTC), Miroslav Lichvar
<mlic...@redhat.com> wrote:

>On 2022-04-04, Roger <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> There are a few servers in the pool which return "poll 4".
>
>Those are probably the LeoNTP servers. They respond with a fixed poll
>instead of copying the poll value from the client request (as required
>by the NTP RFC).

Yes, 85.199.214.98-102. Also 87.75.224.75 returns poll 4.

I haven't read the RFC but it did seem to be incorrect
behaviour.

>> This results in a client staying on minpoll for that server.
>> Is there a configuration option which allow clients to move
>> between minpoll and maxpoll for such a server?
>
>No, AFAIK the only way to reduce the request rate is to increase
>the minpoll.

I considered that but it stops ntpd working as designed. My
solution is to use "restrict ... ignore". This stops ntpd from
including a particular server without any adverse effects that
I'm aware of.
--
Roger
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages