4.1.1 is available

Harlan Stenn

Feb 26, 2002, 11:24:09 PM2/26/02
4.1.1 is available from the usual places:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-4.1.1.tar.gz
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-4.1.0b-rc3-4.1.1.diff.gz

ftp://ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/ntp4/ntp-4.1.1.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/ntp4/ntp-4.1.0b-rc3-4.1.1.diff.gz

From the NEWS file:

* Lose the source port check on incoming packets
* (x)ntpdc compatibility patch
* Virtual IP improvements
* ntp_loopfilter fixes and improvements
* ntpdc improvements
* GOES refclock fix
* JJY driver
* bsdi port fixes
* HP MPE/iX port
* Win/NT port upgrade
* Dynix PTX port fixes
* Document conversion from CVS to BK
* readline support for ntpq
(4.1.0)

From the ChangeLog:

# 02/01/12 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.777
# 4.1.0b-rc3
# --------------------------------------------
# 02/01/13 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.778
# Disable the delta-changelog and related scripts.
# --------------------------------------------
# 02/01/17 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.779
# Lint cleanup from Marc....@westerngeco.com .
# --------------------------------------------
# 02/01/17 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.780
# Lose the source port check. Too many folks are going thru Port and
# Address Translators, and present wisdom says that one should not
# trust source ports anyway.
# --------------------------------------------
# 02/01/22 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.781
# Lint cleanup.
# From Marc....@westerngeco.com
# --------------------------------------------
# 02/01/25 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.782
# mu can be 0, and the (old) debug info would divide sys_jitter by mu.
# Lose the division.
# From: Dave Mills.
# --------------------------------------------
# 02/02/18 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.783
# ntp_adjtime() call cleanup.
# From: John Hay
# --------------------------------------------
# 02/02/19 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.784
# Trigger improvements.
# --------------------------------------------
# 02/02/22 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.785
# LEAP_DELSECOND support for CHU.
#
# From: Ralph Siemsen <ral...@netwinder.org>
# --------------------------------------------
# 02/02/26 st...@whimsy.udel.edu 1.786
# ntp-4.1.1
# --------------------------------------------
#

Marc Brett

Feb 27, 2002, 12:00:46 PM2/27/02
Great release, Harlan! Best ever.

A few nits:

* Can the new source files be linked to the main www.ntp.org web page?
* The description of the peerstat files (monopt.htm) are still out-of-date.
* Now that you have some tools to auto-generate them from the HTML,
it'd be nice to see the man pages there too.

Harlan Stenn <st...@whimsy.udel.edu> wrote:
> 4.1.1 is available from the usual places:

> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-4.1.1.tar.gz
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-4.1.0b-rc3-4.1.1.diff.gz

> ftp://ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/ntp4/ntp-4.1.1.tar.gz
> ftp://ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/ntp4/ntp-4.1.0b-rc3-4.1.1.diff.gz

[Details snipped]

--
Marc Brett +44 20 8560 3160 WesternGeco
Marc....@WesternGeco.com 455 London Road, Isleworth

Harlan Stenn

Feb 28, 2002, 2:35:19 AM2/28/02
Marc Brett <mbr...@rgs0.london.waii.com> writes:

> Great release, Harlan! Best ever.

Thanks!

> A few nits:
>
> * Can the new source files be linked to the main www.ntp.org web page?

They should be there now - until we get the process even more automated,
Steve updates the website after I make the announcement. We're working
on a way to better automate this.

For example, I'm still looking for (waiting for time to write) a (perl?)
script to take my "announcement" blurb and both email it to the
anno...@ntp.org and post it to the newsgroup.

> * The description of the peerstat files (monopt.htm) are still out-of-date.

Somebody needs to tell Dave or (better yet) send Dave a patch.

> * Now that you have some tools to auto-generate them from the HTML,
> it'd be nice to see the man pages there too.

You mean generate man pages from the html pages? If you know an easy
way to do this, please let me know.

What's partially automated/generated is a few of the top-level pages on
the website - the bulk of the pages still come from Dave.

Marc Brett

Feb 28, 2002, 4:41:50 AM2/28/02
Harlan Stenn <st...@whimsy.udel.edu> wrote:

>> * The description of the peerstat files (monopt.htm) are still out-of-date.

> Somebody needs to tell Dave or (better yet) send Dave a patch.

Dave's aware of this.

>> * Now that you have some tools to auto-generate them from the HTML,
>> it'd be nice to see the man pages there too.

> You mean generate man pages from the html pages? If you know an easy
> way to do this, please let me know.

A Perl script was written by Peter Boettcher for doing just this.

See: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=man+html+perl+ntp&hl=en&selm=trsn8qyukn.fsf%40coyote.llan.ll.mit.edu&rnum=1
http://www.mit.edu/~pwb/ntp/html2man.pl

Steve Kostecke

Feb 28, 2002, 8:50:03 AM2/28/02
In article <a5j3bu$1g4c$1...@mail1.wg.waii.com>, Marc Brett wrote:

> Harlan Stenn <st...@whimsy.udel.edu> wrote:

>> 4.1.1 is available from the usual places:

<snip: links>

> * Can the new source files be linked to the main www.ntp.org web page?

The "download chart", which now includes 4.1.1 and the patch from
4.1.0b-RC3 can be found in three places on the NTP web-site:

http://www.ntp.org/
http://www.ntp.org/download.html
http://www.ntp.org/software/

The HTML man pages are at http://www.ntp.org/documentation.wml