PORTING FROM SOCKET TO TLI

Roberto Invernici

Aug 5, 1993, 4:09:32 AM8/5/93
I'm trying to figure out which could be the amount of job has to
be done for porting a huge application from socket (AF_INET) to TLI.

Which are the possible troubles may arise doing that?

Any hint are appreciated! Thanks.

-robi

Please use Email: ro...@ico.olivetti.com

George Michaelson

Aug 6, 1993, 8:12:14 PM8/6/93
inve...@sassella.ICO.OLIVETTI.COM (Roberto Invernici) writes:

> I'm trying to figure out which could be the amount of job has to
> be done for porting a huge application from socket (AF_INET) to TLI.

>Which are the possible troubles may arise doing that?

sockets code often presumes use of select() as a way of doing async I/O
so you need to have a way of doing non-blocking event queues. As long
as you get that from a TLI it should be ok.

When I've had to re-target socket code to a non-socket i/o method I've
usually written wrappers to the underlying interface that look at least
SOMETHING like the sockets call. the fd is just a numeric descriptor so
its not too hard to either re-use what the underlying code has or else
maintain a small mapping table and use the index as a pseudo-fd.

ISODE is targetted onto sockets, bizzare non-socket I/O and TLI and is
out there for FTP. you want to look at the compat/ and tsap/ directories
for examples of tying an upper layer onto both. I didn't do any of this,
its what I use when I need a working example.

-George

--
George Michaelson
G.Mich...@cc.uq.oz.au The Prentice Centre | There's no market for

Dave Crocker

Aug 11, 1993, 2:49:46 PM8/11/93

The semantic differences between sockets and TLI can bite one
at unexpected times. They block differently, for example, making
it necessary for one to spawn a subprocess when the other doesn't
need to. TLI has the concept of expedited/out-of-band data. Sockets
(for TCP) does not.

d/

KP KP

Aug 2, 2022, 10:24:13 AM8/2/22