SAMBA: Problem with s-Bit drwxrws---

Nele Paulsen

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00

recently we changed from TAS (Totalnet Advanced Server) from syntax as
the fileserver.

Under Solaris 2.6 we had a directory with the following permissions:

drwxrws--- our_dir

The s-Bit worked fine. All files and dirs under our_dir got the same
group (not the primary group of the owner).

Now we use Samba 2.0.7 with

create mask = 0660
directory mask = 0770

So the s-Bit is ignored. What should we change in our Samba-
configuration ?

TIA

Nele

Daniel Petzen

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00

A wild untested guess: create mask = 2660
directory mask = 2770 ?

/// Daniel Petzén

> TIA
>
> Nele

n.pa...@gmx.net

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00

I'd tested the guess, but with the same result.
The s-Bit was ignored.

more details -->

from smb.conf:

[important]
comment = for VIPs only
path = /abc/important
guest account = no
writeable = Yes
create mask = 02660 <-- input into swat was 2660
directory mask = 02770 <-- input into swat was 2770

# ls -l
drwxrws--- 7 root vip 1024 Nov 16 21:14 important

creation gives:

-rw-rw---- 1 otto vip 62464 Nov 16 21:15 otto_file_1

drwxrwx--- 2 otto vip 512 Nov 16 21:15 otto_dir

creation under dir otto_dir gives

-rw-rw---- 1 otto all 62464 Nov 16 21:16 otto_file_2

^^^^

==> The problem keeps in the subdirectory

groups for user otto:

primary all
secondary vip

Nele

Tor Slettnes

Nov 17, 2000, 12:34:10 AM11/17/00

Nele> Hi, recently we changed from TAS (Totalnet Advanced Server)
Nele> from syntax as the fileserver.

Nele> Under Solaris 2.6 we had a directory with the following
Nele> permissions:
Nele> drwxrws--- our_dir

Nele> The s-Bit worked fine. All files and dirs under our_dir got
Nele> the same group (not the primary group of the owner).

Nele> Now we use Samba 2.0.7 with

Nele> create mask = 0660
Nele> directory mask = 0770

I think you want:

force directory mode = 2000

-tor

gr...@dione.ids.pl

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
Hello!
I use samba under linux, and I've got the same problem. Solution
(since samba 2.0.7) is:
inherited permissions = yes
in share definition. Thus you allow your os to manage file permissions.
When user creates a file through samba it get proper permissions as if
it would be created by unix user from shell.

Best Regards
Grzegorz Marszalek

In comp.protocols.smb Nele Paulsen <n.pa...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,

> recently we changed from TAS (Totalnet Advanced Server) from syntax as
> the fileserver.

> Under Solaris 2.6 we had a directory with the following permissions:

> drwxrws--- our_dir

> The s-Bit worked fine. All files and dirs under our_dir got the same

> group (not the primary group of the owner).

> Now we use Samba 2.0.7 with

> create mask = 0660
> directory mask = 0770

> So the s-Bit is ignored. What should we change in our Samba-
> configuration ?

> TIA

> Nele

Axel Neumann

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00

"Nele Paulsen" <n.pa...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently we changed from TAS (Totalnet Advanced Server) from syntax as
> the fileserver.
>
> Under Solaris 2.6 we had a directory with the following permissions:
>
> drwxrws--- our_dir
>

> The s-Bit worked fine. All files and dirs under our_dir got the same
> group (not the primary group of the owner).
>
> Now we use Samba 2.0.7 with
>
> create mask = 0660
> directory mask = 0770
>
> So the s-Bit is ignored. What should we change in our Samba-
> configuration ?
>

> TIA
>
> Nele

Hi,

Samba uses the following default values:

files 744
directories 755

The values you specify in "create mask" and "directory mask" are logically
ANDed with the defaults. The "force ..." parameter values are logically ORed
with the defaults.

HTH,

Axel Neumann

Nele Paulsen

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00

gr...@dione.ids.pl wrote:

> Hello!
> I use samba under linux, and I've got the same problem. Solution
> (since samba 2.0.7) is:
> inherited permissions = yes
> in share definition. Thus you allow your os to manage file permissions.
> When user creates a file through samba it get proper permissions as if
> it would be created by unix user from shell.
>
> Best Regards
> Grzegorz Marszalek

Thank you Grzegorz! It works.

Best Regards

Nele

Thomas Wild

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
n.pa...@gmx.net wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:59:04 +0100, Daniel Petzen
> <Daniel.thoushal...@emw.ericsson.se> wrote:
>
> >Nele Paulsen wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> recently we changed from TAS (Totalnet Advanced Server) from syntax as
> >> the fileserver.
> >>
> >> Under Solaris 2.6 we had a directory with the following permissions:
> >>
> >> drwxrws--- our_dir
> >>
> >> The s-Bit worked fine. All files and dirs under our_dir got the same
> >> group (not the primary group of the owner).
> >>
> >> Now we use Samba 2.0.7 with
> >>
> >> create mask = 0660
> >> directory mask = 0770
> >>
> >> So the s-Bit is ignored. What should we change in our Samba-
> >> configuration ?
> >
> > A wild untested guess: create mask = 2660
> > directory mask = 2770 ?
> >
> > /// Daniel Petzén
> >

> I'd tested the guess, but with the same result.
> The s-Bit was ignored.

Right, I've the same problem on 50 servers. I didn't find a solution
yet.
I think samba ingores this bits total. But the normal ugo-bits are ok.

- Thomas

> more details -->
>
> from smb.conf:
>
> [important]
> comment = for VIPs only
> path = /abc/important
> guest account = no
> writeable = Yes
> create mask = 02660 <-- input into swat was 2660
> directory mask = 02770 <-- input into swat was 2770
>
> # ls -l
> drwxrws--- 7 root vip 1024 Nov 16 21:14 important
>
> creation gives:
>
> -rw-rw---- 1 otto vip 62464 Nov 16 21:15 otto_file_1
>
> drwxrwx--- 2 otto vip 512 Nov 16 21:15 otto_dir
>
> creation under dir otto_dir gives
>
> -rw-rw---- 1 otto all 62464 Nov 16 21:16 otto_file_2
>
> ^^^^
>
> ==> The problem keeps in the subdirectory
>
> groups for user otto:
>
> primary all
> secondary vip
>
> Nele

Thomas Wild (IDS GmbH) www.ids-gmbh.de -
Thoma...@alcatel.de
Competence-Center-Unix administrator - servermaster -
securitymaster
Alcatel SEL AG,Lorenzstr.10
D-70435 Stuttgart, Germany
---
Which IT do you want to take today
--
Sometimes we move right - and sometimes we move left - that is the
middle

Pete Wilkins

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
Why not do this using samba, try: