Printing Error "Cannot open printer handle"

bmearns

Jan 8, 2012, 4:08:06 PM1/8/12
I'm trying to share a CUPS printer connected to a Linux box with a
Windows XP machine. The printer works fine locally, and I can see it
in the network brower from the XP machine, but when I get an error
when I try to open it on the XP machine, so I can't print from it. I'm
able to access (read and write) my other samba shares.

When I try to open the printer on the XP, I have to pick the driver,
but then after I do that, I get an error window (on XP) shaying
"Windows cannot connected to the printer. Either the printer name was
typed incorectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to
the server."

I check the samba error_log for this machine and it says:

[2012/01/08 15:27:47.443415, 0] rpc_server/spoolss/srv_spoolss_nt.c:
1747(_spoolss_OpenPrinterEx)
_spoolss_OpenPrinterEx: Cannot open a printer handle for printer \
\freyja

(freyja is the name of the linux box).

There are no errors in the CUPS error_log.

I'm using smbd Version 3.6.1-77.fc16. Can anyone suggest what might be
wrong, or any steps I can take to trouble shoot this?

Thanks,
-Brian

P.S. The relevant portions of smb.conf:
######################################
[global]
load printers = yes
cups options = raw
printing = cups
printcap name = cups

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
use client driver = yes

chuco...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2013, 3:04:14 AM3/15/13
Since I saw your article. Maybe this will help u.

I have the same Question like you.

I think it maybe the windows network problem.

It is quiet be save if u set the printer via Url.

Make sure u can see the printer in cups and can print "testpage".

If it works, you can also get Url of the printer.
<ex: http://(Your Server IP)/(Printer Name)>

And connect the printer through Url.

In windows.Go set the printer in
(Star >> Control Panel>>view device and printers>> Add a printer )

choose "Add a Network ..... Printer" .

If it doesn't serch any printer . Click "next" and you will see a textbox

let you enter the Url.

Use URL code maybe works.

Good Luck!!