kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error

Andreas Muck

Jul 23, 2003, 2:46:54 AM7/23/03
Hallo, out there,

since I updatet my system to Linux kernel 2.4.21 I continously get the
following error message in /var/log/messages:

kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error

Here is some information about my system

andreas@home:~ > uname -a
Linux home 2.4.21 #2 Mon Jun 16 17:35:52 CEST 2003 i686 unknown
andreas@home:~ > cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep PPP
CONFIG_PPP=y
CONFIG_PPP_FILTER=y
CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=y
# CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY is not set
CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=y
CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=y

Searching on the net I could not find any usable tips for fixing the
problem. Now I use the "novj"-Option in /etc/ppp/config and the problem
is gone, of course :-) But that's just a workaround to avoid cluttering
my log-files and I'm in hope to fix the error, but up til now I have no
idea.

Do you?

Thanks for your effort!

Ciao
Andreas

--
==> Informativ - Interaktiv - Internet <==
==> Pharmazeutische Kompetenz online <==

Clifford Kite

Jul 23, 2003, 4:14:37 PM7/23/03
Andreas Muck <fam....@telda.net> wrote:

> since I updatet my system to Linux kernel 2.4.21 I continously get the
> following error message in /var/log/messages:

> kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error

You wouldn't have also changed ISPs too, would you?

> Here is some information about my system

> andreas@home:~ > uname -a
> Linux home 2.4.21 #2 Mon Jun 16 17:35:52 CEST 2003 i686 unknown
> andreas@home:~ > cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep PPP
> CONFIG_PPP=y
> CONFIG_PPP_FILTER=y
> CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=y
> # CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY is not set
> CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=y
> CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=y

> Searching on the net I could not find any usable tips for fixing the
> problem. Now I use the "novj"-Option in /etc/ppp/config and the problem
> is gone, of course :-) But that's just a workaround to avoid cluttering
> my log-files and I'm in hope to fix the error, but up til now I have no
> idea.

> Do you?

I'm sure the error is in VJ compression in the PPP implementation at the
ISP, not in Linux PPP VJ decompression. I had a similar problem with a
previous ISP and still have it with one of the points of present for my
current ISP (but not with a second POP, or with yet another previous ISP).

Try adding the pppd option novjccomp and see if that also stops the
messages. That way you still retain some benefits of VJ compression
that novj takes away.

James Carlson suggested this and it works for me.

Just for the record I currently run the 2.4.21 kernel, and first
noticed the problem long ago while using a 2.0.x kernel.

--
Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yv...@ri1.arg|rot13"
/* Microsoft is a great marketing organization.

Andreas Muck

Jul 24, 2003, 3:07:15 PM7/24/03
Clifford Kite <ki...@see.signature.id> schrieb:

> Andreas Muck <fam....@telda.net> wrote:
>
>> since I updatet my system to Linux kernel 2.4.21 I continously get the
>> following error message in /var/log/messages:
>
>> kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error
>
> You wouldn't have also changed ISPs too, would you?

No, I didn't change my ISP.

> I'm sure the error is in VJ compression in the PPP implementation at the
> ISP, not in Linux PPP VJ decompression. I had a similar problem with a
> previous ISP and still have it with one of the points of present for my
> current ISP (but not with a second POP, or with yet another previous ISP).

Well, it would be remarkable when my ISP changed his software just when
I installed a new kernel. Here are the dates I got the decompression
error since 12.05.2002:

12.27.2002: 2 errors
04.20.2003: 1 error
06.16.2003: 76 errors
06.17.2003: 22 errors

I installed kernel 2.4.21 on Jun 16 2003 and on Jun 17 I added "novj" to
/etc/ppp/options. But after all I will go and ask my ISP and I will give
pppd a new chance and delete the "novj" option. If it will not work I
try "novjcomp" as you recommend.

Clifford Kite

Jul 25, 2003, 8:42:20 AM7/25/03
Andreas Muck <fam....@telda.net> wrote:

> Well, it would be remarkable when my ISP changed his software just when
> I installed a new kernel. Here are the dates I got the decompression
> error since 12.05.2002:

> 12.27.2002: 2 errors
> 04.20.2003: 1 error
> 06.16.2003: 76 errors
> 06.17.2003: 22 errors

> I installed kernel 2.4.21 on Jun 16 2003 and on Jun 17 I added "novj" to
> /etc/ppp/options. But after all I will go and ask my ISP and I will give
> pppd a new chance and delete the "novj" option. If it will not work I
> try "novjcomp" as you recommend.

^^^^^^^^
That's novjccomp.

You did have 3 VJ decompression errors before the new kernel, but you
certainly have a right to be suspicious when many more appeared just
after it's installation. I suspect, but don't *know*, that large
downloads cause more of these errors.

I'm not a PPP implementer, but still remain convinced that the kernel
PPP support is not the problem. For me, this error has always been
associated only with a particular ISP, and with the current ISP, for
particular Points of Present. Moreover, as previously pointed out,
it first appeared long ago, well before the 2.4.x kernel series.

For what it's worth, I corresponded with the top technical person at
the first of the problem ISPs and found out that they used an Ascend
MAX connection host.

--
Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yv...@ri1.arg|rot13"

/* My confidence in this answer (X), on a scale of 0 to 10:
|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|---X|
0----1----2----3----4----5----6----7----8----9----10 */

Andreas Muck

Jul 30, 2003, 2:40:11 AM7/30/03
Clifford Kite <ki...@see.signature.id> schrieb:

> You did have 3 VJ decompression errors before the new kernel, but you
> certainly have a right to be suspicious when many more appeared just
> after it's installation. I suspect, but don't *know*, that large
> downloads cause more of these errors.

Well, a large download doesn't seem to be the problem. I just retrieved
a version of mozilla (about 12 MB) and no decompression errors occured
during that session. But in general I got decompression errors when I
workes with full VJ-compression-support. Now I activated "novjccomp" and
all seems to work fine. I hope that's the solution :-)