"No auth is possible" problem during ppp connection

marufloor

Feb 26, 2008, 12:39:20 AM2/26/08
helps, i can't ppp connection.

I think <auth chap MD5> problem.
I don't know why received message is No auth is possible
platform : Linux Redhat Enterprise 4 AS.

--------------------------------------------- problem

[root@rhel4 ppp]# ./ppp-
on
Serial connection established.
using channel 14
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <pcomp>]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <pcomp>]
No auth is possible
<asyncmap 0xa0000> <pcomp>]
No auth is possible
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x2 <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x4dad7caf>]
<asyncmap 0xa0000> <pcomp>]
No auth is possible
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x3 <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x65ad34af>]
<asyncmap 0xa0000> <pcomp>]
No auth is possible
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x4 <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x65ad34af>]
<asyncmap 0xa0000> <pcomp>]
No auth is possible
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x5 <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x65ad34af>]
<asyncmap 0xa0000> <pcomp>]
No auth is possible
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x6 <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x65ad34af>]
<asyncmap 0xa0000> <pcomp>]
No auth is possible
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x7 <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x65ad34af>]
Terminating on signal 2.
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
<asyncmap 0xa0000> <pcomp>]
rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
Connection terminated.

------------------------------------------------- ppp-on file
[root@rhel4 ppp]# more ppp-on
#!/bin/sh
TELEPHONE=*99#
export TELEPHONE
DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer

exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug \
/dev/ttyS0 9600 \
lock \
noauth \
noccp \
nomagic \
refuse-chap \
defaultroute \
asyncmap 0 \
-crtscts \
-ac \
-vj \
-vjccomp \
-detach \
-d \
-bsdcomp \
-chap \
-pap \
connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

------------------------------------------------- ppp-on-dialer file

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/chat -v \
TIMEOUT 6 \
ABORT '\nBUSY\r' \
ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r' \
ABORT '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r' \
'' \\rAT \
'OK-+++\c-OK' ATM1L3 \
TIMEOUT 30 \
OK ATDT$TELEPHONE \
CONNECT ''

reference site : http://korea.gnu.org/people/chsong/klug/linux-kr.org/PPP-HOWTO.html#toc27

but, ppp connection success on Windows xp platform.
follows ppp connection options on window
- disable 'HARDWARE FLOWCONTOL'
- disable 'LCP extention'
- disable 'Software compress use'
- disable 'IP Compressed Header use'

thank you any helps.
:)

Moe Trin

Feb 26, 2008, 2:15:31 PM2/26/08

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.ppp, in article
<120f08a4-b68f-4fc4...@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, marufloor
wrote:

>helps, i can't ppp connection.

The options you have chosen are wrong.

>I think <auth chap MD5> problem.
>I don't know why received message is No auth is possible

You have told pppd not to allow PAP or CHAP authentication, but the
system you are connecting to _requires_ one or the other.

>platform : Linux Redhat Enterprise 4 AS.

That's about three years old - probably using ppp-2.4.2 or 2.4.3. See
the man page for pppd, which gives more information on the options.

>exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug \
> /dev/ttyS0 9600 \

Do you know that you need such a slow speed? Most modems today will
operate at 115200

> lock \
> noauth \

'noauth' is not requiring the peer to authenticate to you - normally
this is the default unless '/sbin/route -n' shows a default route
before you try to dial in.

> noccp \
> nomagic \

These should probably not be there

> refuse-chap \

This is one of your problems. Why do you refuse to tell the peer who
you are?

> defaultroute \

OK

> asyncmap 0 \

This is the default, but the peer is asking for 0xa0000 and that is
often a sign that the peer is broken and you should use the same value.

> -crtscts \
> -ac \
> -vj \
> -vjccomp \
> -detach \

These are obsolete options (changed in ppp-2.3.0 back in 1997, and
probably not a good choice. Remove them, and add 'nodetach' only.

> -d \

Obsolete - use 'debug' if needed.

> -bsdcomp \

Obsolete - not needed, as 'noccp' disables all data compression.

> -chap \
> -pap \

And again - obsolete options, but this is the cause of the "No auth is
possible" message. You are refusing all authentication.

>#!/bin/sh
>/usr/sbin/chat -v \
> TIMEOUT 6 \
> ABORT '\nBUSY\r' \
> ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r' \
> ABORT '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r' \
> '' \\rAT \
> 'OK-+++\c-OK' ATM1L3 \
> TIMEOUT 30 \
> OK ATDT$TELEPHONE \
> CONNECT ''

I know that is part of the ancient HOWTO, but no one has been using
that script in many years. Also, this is not initializing the modem
(see the manual for the modem). Perhaps a more suitable script would
be

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/chat -v \
ABORT BUSY \
ABORT 'NO ANSWER' \
'' AT&F0 \
OK ATDT$TELEPHONE \
CONNECT \d\c

The 'AT&F0' is a common modem initialization command - although some
modems (US Robotics) want AT&F1.

>reference site :
> http://korea.gnu.org/people/chsong/klug/linux-kr.org/PPP-HOWTO.html#toc27

The document is the Korean translation, and I can not read it. However
the PPP-HOWTO was last updated in July 2000, and the section you appear
to be following is much older and is obsolete. I suspect this version
may be from March, 1997 and is nearly useless.

>but, ppp connection success on Windows xp platform.
>follows ppp connection options on window
>- disable 'HARDWARE FLOWCONTOL'

That is very unusual with most modems.

>- disable 'LCP extention'
>- disable 'Software compress use'
>- disable 'IP Compressed Header use'

Normally, I would recommend letting pppd make the correct decision
regarding these issues. The 'LCP extention' is a microsoft concept
and not really implemented in Linux. Software and IP Compressed
Headers should negotiate correctly. Only if they do not (shown by
errors in the ppp log) should you try

noccp
novj

Old guy